Author Topic: Wooler, West Chapel  (Read 1098 times)

Offline Bejantine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Wooler, West Chapel
« on: Friday 26 January 18 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Can anyone help please with a lookup for the baptism of Margaret GRAY  on 16 May 1814 to John and Isabel. I have found the transcript on Familysearch and wondered if there was more information

Thank you
Fife - JOHNSTON, FOULIS,BATHGATE,KIRK<br />Edinburgh - BATHGATE, HARDIE<br />Angus - KIDD<br />Perthshire - STEWART, MacFARLANE, MENZIES, CAMPBELL, ROBERTSON<br />Lancashire: PILKINGTON, HALL, BOSS, PARTINGTON, JUBB, VARLEY, SNAPE, HAWORTH<br />Yorkshire: MORRIS, PILKINGTON, FITTON<br />Co Durham - OATES, SMITH, JONES<br />Northumberland - McCLAIN<br />Worcestershire- JONES, DARBY

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wooler, West Chapel
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 January 18 01:46 GMT (UK) »
I have a transcript but different from the name and date only on Family Search

Wooler West Presbyterian baptisms 1749-1857

Margaret Gray baptised 16 May 1814, born 11 May [1814] daughter of John Gray and his wife Isobella, born Doddington.

I doubt there is any more information on the record.

Do you know the occupation of John Gray?  There are a few child burials in Doddington

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 January 18 02:21 GMT (UK) »
Possible marriage for John...

John Gray  m  Isabella Hall.  10 Dec 1809, St Michael and All Angels, Ford, Northumberland.

Ford is about 10 miles from Wooler.

Offline Bejantine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 January 18 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello 2zpool

Thank you for your reply

Margaret and her husband are a brick wall for me and many others. They are my maternal 3x great grandparents and I have no idea of their marriage (poss about 1833) or parentage. Her husband was John McLAIN of Cornhill who was a miner.

Margaret was born (according to census) about 1816 in Doddington ( so this one could be her at last!) AND her first child was Isabella so maybe another clue.

I was rather hoping that as it is a Presbyterian record it would state the mother's MS, but the information about Doddington is brilliant as this is the first real possible candidate  that I have found.

May I be cheeky and ask after any siblings? I see from FS that there possibly were some , baptised at West Chapel, from about 1790.  I believe there was James (1811), George (1812). There was even a Mary (1805), Ann (1807 & 1811)) and Robert 1823 at the other chapel in Wooler, but I suspect they are a different family as some dates are too close.

I am sorry, but I don't know of any occupation for her father.

Thank you again - I hope I can hear the sound of cracks in a wall!
Fife - JOHNSTON, FOULIS,BATHGATE,KIRK<br />Edinburgh - BATHGATE, HARDIE<br />Angus - KIDD<br />Perthshire - STEWART, MacFARLANE, MENZIES, CAMPBELL, ROBERTSON<br />Lancashire: PILKINGTON, HALL, BOSS, PARTINGTON, JUBB, VARLEY, SNAPE, HAWORTH<br />Yorkshire: MORRIS, PILKINGTON, FITTON<br />Co Durham - OATES, SMITH, JONES<br />Northumberland - McCLAIN<br />Worcestershire- JONES, DARBY

Offline Bejantine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 January 18 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello Solidrock

Thank you for the possible marriage of John to Isabella Hall. There is also one for a couple of the same name on Holy Island a couple of years earlier which I spotted. I wonder if they are the same?

But as you say Ford is a more obvious place (due to date and location) . Though I rather hoped for Holy Island,  being a more 'interesting' place (sorry to all of you from Ford!) as i do love to spot it from the train.

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 January 18 15:30 GMT (UK) »
There is another John Gray/Isabella in Doddington.  John was a saddler.  Then when I started looking Isabella died 1808 .

There is a Mary Gray d/o John, labourer, that died at the age of 2 years 1 mo. died  or buried 14 Mar 1811.

I have to scoot and come back to this.  Good luck with the surname Gray.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk