Author Topic: Lee of Kilsby  (Read 1263 times)

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Lee of Kilsby
« on: Saturday 27 January 18 00:55 GMT (UK) »
Looking for advice

I would like help to locate where I would buy the following Wills:

Richard Lee of Kilsby, Northamptonshire 1690
Andrew Lee Yeoman of Kilsby 1720 (buried 19 Jun 1720)
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Offline PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Lee of Kilsby
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 January 18 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Both Wills are available at the Northants Record Office, and I gather they are also available at LDS Family History Centres on film.

The Record Office will do copies, at £8.70 per image. Per image, not per Will.
http://www3.northamptonshire.gov.uk/councilservices/archives-and-heritage/northamptonshire-archives/research-and-history/Pages/fees-and-charges.aspx

You need to fill in this form
https://northamptonshire-self.achieveservice.com/service/make_an_enquiry_with_northamptonshire_archives#_ga=2.254721672.1054606200.1517046223-1089834809.1516713982
and ask them for a quote. They need to check they can actually take photos of the documents as well.

Andrew Lee's Will has an inventory as well.
And Richard Lee's is dated 1691, according to the index on FindMyPast.

Website: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~towcesterfamilies/genealogy/
Towcester - anything, any time
Cheshire - Lambert, Houghland, Birtwisle
Liverpool - Platt, Cunningham, Ditton
London - Notley, Elsom, Billett
Oxfordshire - Hitchcock, Smith, Leonard, Taunt
Durham - Hepburn, Eltringham
Berwickshire - Guthrie, Crawford
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Gloucestershire - Verrinder, Colborn
Dorset - Westlake

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 January 18 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much.

With nothing to do on a very hot Aussie afternoon, I went through 39 pages x 15  of Northants records and got nothing.

May I ask more questions, as you have better access than what I can source.

My Andrew Lee of Watford village made his Will in 1723 and it was not proved to 1736. I have a copy and maybe he wrote it then, after his first wife Elizabeth Manning died, as he inherited her family lands from Collingtree/Milton Milsor. I have these records as well.

I am actually trying to establish his parents of Andrew Lee (c1687- 17 Feb 1735) of Watford, he may have been in Kilsby 1702.

In this Will, he said that his brother was John Lee of Kilsby and Uncle John Lee of Watford.

Is there a Will for a John Lee of Kilsby (b.c 1780's who has died in Kilsby post 1823 to 1840?
Is there a Will for John Lee of Watford or Long Buckby who died a similar time?
They may better give his relatives.

My next ancestor was John Manning Lee of Watford and I have his Will.

Thanks
KR
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.

Offline PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 January 18 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Greetings from a chilly, very wet, Northamptonshire Saturday morning!

Here's all the John Lee's listed, of Watford, Long Buckby or Kilsby

John Lee   Kilsby    weaver   17 Jun 1727
John Lee   Watford             25 Mar 1727
John Lee   Kilsby   yeoman   6 Feb 1748
John Lee   Watford  grazier   20 Sep 1771
John Lee   Long Buckby  woolcomber  10 Aug 1784
John Lee   Watford   grazier  26 May 1803
John Lee   Kilsby   yeoman   10 Aug 1837

The whole of the Northants Wills pre 1858 are listed here:
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-Records/northamptonshire-and-rutland-probate-index
You can't see the detail without a sub, just the name, year and village.
Website: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~towcesterfamilies/genealogy/
Towcester - anything, any time
Cheshire - Lambert, Houghland, Birtwisle
Liverpool - Platt, Cunningham, Ditton
London - Notley, Elsom, Billett
Oxfordshire - Hitchcock, Smith, Leonard, Taunt
Durham - Hepburn, Eltringham
Berwickshire - Guthrie, Crawford
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Gloucestershire - Verrinder, Colborn
Dorset - Westlake

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 January 18 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you
It looks highly probable that the first John is Andrew's uncle and the second may be his brother. I know someone who is going to Northants Archives on Wednesday, so these two Wills look better for me to purchase
and as his father can't be John, then maybe I buy the Richard Lee of 1791 as well
I do have an article on Andrew Lee on Watford village site.
regards,

KR

John Lee   Watford             25 Mar 1727
John Lee   Kilsby   yeoman   6 Feb 1748

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Will of Andrew Lee, the Elder of Kilsby, yeoman d. 1720 was purchased. Mentioned wife Ruth; heir John Lee of Kilsby, yeoman; main beneficiary son Andrew Lee of Watford, yeoman (my ancestor); and daughter Elizabeth Pell of Guilsborough.

If any one has other resources, I would like to know more of Ruth Lee died 1728 St. Andrews Rugby, as his possible widow.

Maybe John Lee, yeoman of Kilsby who died with a Will 6 Feb 1748 is the son/heir mentioned, but of what property in Kilsby.

Will mentions chattels in house and hall house. Maybe the son heir John Lee had already moved into the main house on the farm; and parents moved into a smaller home, thus why Andrew Lee, the Younger of Watford, became the main beneficiary of that house.