Author Topic: John Stevenson married Christian Ormiston January 1826, Cambuslang, lLKS, SCT  (Read 6272 times)

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Stevenson married Christian Ormiston January 1826, Cambuslang, lLKS, SCT
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Orontes,
This should help with the family of John Stevenson and Christina Ormiston

1841: Cullochburn, Cambuslang
John Stevenson   45 Handloom Weaver & Army Pensioner
Christina Stevenson   30
George Stevenson   13
Isabella Stevenson   11

1841: Bushyhill   
 This is John's mother. Her death is recorded on Mortcloth 25 Jul 1847
Widw  of Geo Stevenson   65
Easter Stevenson   5
Martha Stevenson   65
Margaret Stevenson   1mon
David Park 5
Margret Stevenson   1month

I suspect that that 65yr old Martha is Margaret Cochran, widow of Allan Stevenson

1851: Bushyhill, Cambuslang
John Stevenson   58
Christina Stevenson   43
*Mary Stevenson   25 Daughter ( b 12 Mar 1826)
Jannet Stevenson   9 Daughter
John Stevenson   6 Son
Andrew Ormiston   46 Brother in law
Christina Campbell   1 Grand daughter

1861: Jabernacle Row, Cambuslang
John Stevenson   68
Christine Stevenson   54
Christina Campbell   11 Niece ( a grand daughter could be referred to as Niece)

1871; Chapelton, Cambuslang
John Stevenson   79
Christina Stevenson   63

As per reply 3, John died in 1871 and Christina in 1877

Return to 1851 census for John and Christina

*Mary Stevenson from this return married Robert Spiers in Rutherglen 1851.
Banns read in Rutherglen 29 Apr 1851
Census data after marriage has her matching profile and 1st daughter and 2nd son are named Christina and John

1861: Silverbanks, Cambuslang   
Robert Spiers   34 Coal Miner B Rutherglen
Mary Spiers   35 wife B Cambuslang
*Christina Spiers   10 Daughter B Cambuslang (B 20 Nov 1851)
Janet Spiers   6 Daughter B Cambuslang
Robert Spiers   4 Son b Cambuslang
John Spiers   1 Son B Cambuslang

*  Matching death index in Cambulang 1863 for Christina Spiers  aged 12
child of same name born in 1867 to same parents and registered in Rutherglen

1871: Rose Bank, Cambuslang
Robert Spiers   43
Mary Spiers   44
Robert Spiers   13
John Spiers   11
James Spiers   6
Christina Spiers   4

Mary Spiers other name Stevenson age 65
Death registered Cambuslang 1890
Certificate will confirm parentage ( hopefully shows John and Christina)

EDIT:
I think I have worked out who Christina Campbell b 1850 was.
On the 1841 census there is an 11 yr old daughter  of John and Christina, named Isabella Stevenson.
I can't locate Isabella again

The child named Christina from 1851 & 1861 censuses  married Robert Black in Campsie, Stirling in 1869.
There are 2 children on Family Search for her
On the birth of her son John Black b 1870, her name is given as: Christina Stevenson Campbell.
Her 2nd child b 1873, her name is given as Christina Cambell but her daughter was named:
Isabella Stevenson Black.
It would seem that Christina was the child of John and Christina's daughter, Isabella Stevenson

Offline Orontes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John Stevenson married Christian Ormiston January 1826, Cambuslang, lLKS, SCT
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Christina Stevenson other name Ormiston died in Cambuslang in 1877 aged 70
John Stevenson died in Cambuslang in 1871 aged 79

I can see the earlier post where the info was found on another tree.

They are the  same couple who can be found on census returns in Cambuslang from 1841 through to 1871
I would be very surprised if  John was not the son of George Stevenson and Mary Cochran !
at 1807 George and Mary were in Cambuslang and had 5  children in their household but, all were un named

George Stevenson died in Cambuslang 29 Jan 1829 followed by his wife on 25 Jul 1847.

I am also certain that another couple named Allan Stevenson and his wife Margaret Cochran were  each a sibling to George and Mary.
Allan and Margaret are also in Cambuslang at 1807 with 2 un named children n the house
No death for Allan but Margaret died 25 Sep 1854.

Sticking my neck out again but, see the 1841 census in Bushy hill where George's widow is living/
I am certain that the 65 yr old Martha Stevenson in her home, is in fact Margaret, widow of Allan Stevenson
At 1851 Margaret is in Chapelton, Cambuslang aged 74.

There  is no matching Margaret at 1841 and no matching Martha at 1851.
No Martha's in Mortcloth suggests that Margaret and Martha is the same person.
Margaret, widow of Allan died on 25 Sep 1854.
 Stevenson deaths where mother's name shows as Cochran could be a child of either couple

I can also see that John and Christina's son George,  was 13yrs old at 1841.
He does not appear again on any census.
A death is entered into the Mortcloth for:
George Stevenson, son of John died 30 Mar 1849

There are a number of deaths in the correct time period for Stevenson children with a father named John but, some of them are definitely the children of John Stevenson and Mary Brown.
Birth years for children of both Johns overlap which confirm they are different men.
Thank you Anne, That is very helpful.  I am in the process of obtaining the originals from Scotlands people at our local genie society and will purchase copies of the deaths etc of John and Christiana deaths on saturday.

Offline Orontes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Orontes,
This should help with the family of John Stevenson and Christina Ormiston

1841: Cullochburn, Cambuslang
John Stevenson   45 Handloom Weaver & Army Pensioner
Christina Stevenson   30
George Stevenson   13
Isabella Stevenson   11

1841: Bushyhill   
 This is John's mother. Her death is recorded on Mortcloth 25 Jul 1847
Widw  of Geo Stevenson   65
Easter Stevenson   5
Martha Stevenson   65
Margaret Stevenson   1mon
David Park 5
Margret Stevenson   1month

I suspect that that 65yr old Martha is Margaret Cochran, widow of Allan Stevenson

1851: Bushyhill, Cambuslang
John Stevenson   58
Christina Stevenson   43
*Mary Stevenson   25 Daughter ( b 12 Mar 1826)
Jannet Stevenson   9 Daughter
John Stevenson   6 Son
Andrew Ormiston   46 Brother in law
Christina Campbell   1 Grand daughter

1861: Jabernacle Row, Cambuslang
John Stevenson   68
Christine Stevenson   54
Christina Campbell   11 Niece ( a grand daughter could be referred to as Niece)

1871; Chapelton, Cambuslang
John Stevenson   79
Christina Stevenson   63

As per reply 3, John died in 1871 and Christina in 1877

Return to 1851 census for John and Christina

*Mary Stevenson from this return married Robert Spiers in Rutherglen 1851.
Banns read in Rutherglen 29 Apr 1851
Census data after marriage has her matching profile and 1st daughter and 2nd son are named Christina and John

1861: Silverbanks, Cambuslang   
Robert Spiers   34 Coal Miner B Rutherglen
Mary Spiers   35 wife B Cambuslang
*Christina Spiers   10 Daughter B Cambuslang (B 20 Nov 1851)
Janet Spiers   6 Daughter B Cambuslang
Robert Spiers   4 Son b Cambuslang
John Spiers   1 Son B Cambuslang

*  Matching death index in Cambulang 1863 for Christina Spiers  aged 12
child of same name born in 1867 to same parents and registered in Rutherglen

1871: Rose Bank, Cambuslang
Robert Spiers   43
Mary Spiers   44
Robert Spiers   13
John Spiers   11
James Spiers   6
Christina Spiers   4

Mary Spiers other name Stevenson age 65
Death registered Cambuslang 1890
Certificate will confirm parentage ( hopefully shows John and Christina)

EDIT:
I think I have worked out who Christina Campbell b 1850 was.
On the 1841 census there is an 11 yr old daughter  of John and Christina, named Isabella Stevenson.
I can't locate Isabella again

The child named Christina from 1851 & 1861 censuses  married Robert Black in Campsie, Stirling in 1869.
There are 2 children on Family Search for her
On the birth of her son John Black b 1870, her name is given as: Christina Stevenson Campbell.
Her 2nd child b 1873, her name is given as Christina Cambell but her daughter was named:
Isabella Stevenson Black.
It would seem that Christina was the child of John and Christina's daughter, Isabella Stevenson
Hi Anne,
I note you have soved who Robert Spiers was for me.  He was witness on John McArthur a and Isabella Stevenson marriage certificate.  So he was  Isabellas brother in law.  Thought he may have been a work mate of Johns.  Now you have said  Christina was the child of John and Christina Stevenson, daughter, Isabella Stevenson.  No.  Isabella Stevenson was married in 18567 and they went straight  away within a fortnight to Tasmania and never returned to Scotland. I have everything from that time on John and Isabellas life.  but you have been very helpful  I did have the Census but not the other details you have given, re; marriages and deaths. Thanks for that.

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Orontes,
I still think that Christina Campbell was the child of Isabella Stevenson who later married John McArthur
As Isabella married and emigrated after the birth, I would assume that she left the  5/6 yr old child behind.

I assume that Isabella and John McArthur did not have a child named Christina after Isabella's mother?
That seems  odd unless, Isabella aready had a child of this name?

The mother can be confirmed....
The 1869 marriage of Christina Campbell to Robert Black in Campsie, or her death certificate.

Christina Black maiden name Campbell died in Campsie, Stirlingshire in 1880 aged 28yrs.
Her death cert should also name her mother and, if known, whether she was still living or deceased.
Either record could also provide the mother's current married name.

Ormiston
On all census returns except 1871, Christina Stevenson (Ormiston) states she was born in Cambuslang.
At 1871 it altered to Glasgow.
Based on her given age, she was born circa 1808.

I hold a copy of the 1807 census for Cambuslang plus a copy of the full Mortcloth entries.

There is not a single person in Cambuslang at 1807 named Ormiston (or variant)
Likewise, the Mortcloth records run from mid 1700's through to 1854 and there are no Ormiston (or variant) death entries in the entire record

Offline Orontes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 01 February 18 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Anne,
John McArthur and his wife only had three daughters they were the first three born.  Isabella, after herself, Margaret after Johns mother and Mary after Isabellas eldest sister.  the next six children of John and Isabella were boys.

I think Isabella was with child at the time of her marriage to John McArthur as  Isabella the first born was born August 1857 and john and Isabella were married 2 December, on the ship 15th December sailing to Tasmania.

Now I have no reason whatsoever to discount what you are saying that  Christina Campbell was Isabellas child, so I will make a check in Scotlands people and let you know the outcome, however, I dont think so.  I think I saw Isabella in another census in 1851 as a nurse.  I will have to look for that entry as I made a search knowing she would have to be in one as she never left Scotland until december 1856 as a McArthur. Both John and Isabella could read and write according to the ships manifest.There is a possibility that the child belongs to Christian Stevenson the  second last born of John and Chirstina Stevenson nee Ormiston.
Mary Stevenson 26 Mar Cambuslang   "     "
George Stevenson birth 112 Feb 1828 Cambuslang
Isobel/Isabella 22 Jun 1830      "       
Christian Stevenson 12 October 1832 Cambuslang
Andrew Stevenson 2 Mar 1835  Cambuslang

Remember that Isabella Stevenson met John McArthur in Cathcart, Renfrewshire,  where they were both working at the time of marriage back in Cambuslang her home town.  No idea about his. So she has gone there at some time before the 1851 census.

Offline Orontes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 01 February 18 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Orontes,
I still think that Christina Campbell was the child of Isabella Stevenson who later married John McArthur
As Isabella married and emigrated after the birth, I would assume that she left the  5/6 yr old child behind.

I assume that Isabella and John McArthur did not have a child named Christina after Isabella's mother?
That seems  odd unless, Isabella aready had a child of this name?

The mother can be confirmed....
The 1869 marriage of Christina Campbell to Robert Black in Campsie, or her death certificate.

Christina Black maiden name Campbell died in Campsie, Stirlingshire in 1880 aged 28yrs.
Her death cert should also name her mother and, if known, whether she was still living or deceased.
Either record could also provide the mother's current married name.

Ormiston
On all census returns except 1871, Christina Stevenson (Ormiston) states she was born in Cambuslang.
At 1871 it altered to Glasgow.
Based on her given age, she was born circa 1808.

I hold a copy of the 1807 census for Cambuslang plus a copy of the full Mortcloth entries.

There is not a single person in Cambuslang at 1807 named Ormiston (or variant)
Likewise, the Mortcloth records run from mid 1700's through to 1854 and there are no Ormiston (or variant) death entries in the entire record
Anne, I think that maybe in those earlier censu like 1807, you have a copy of.  they would have been Land owners, head of households.  I dont think farm workers etc would have shown u pn it.

Does the Mortcloth records you have come on a CD that can be purchased.  It would be a interesting CD to own.

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 01 February 18 00:36 GMT (UK) »
Orontes,
The child named Christian/Christina  b 1832 could not be the mother.
She died  on 5 Aug 1840.

The Mortcloth book is available to purchase from Lanarkshire Family History Society (LFHS)
I have a copy.
It contains  just 17 individuals named Stevenson.
Earliest death is a child named Andrew who died in 1798
The latest one is Margaret Stevenson ( Cochran) who died on 25 Sep 1854
She was  the widow of Allan Stevenson and I am certain that there is a familial connection, either on the Stevenson or Cochran side ( possibly both)
I am also sure that she is the 65yr old Martha Stevenson who is in the 1841 household with John's mother and is Margaret Stevenson found on the 1851 census with her own family.
There are Park children on both of these returns
I believe her daughter named Elizabeth Stevenson married David Park.

EDIT
The child named Christina Campbell had one daughter only.
She named her Isabella Stevenson Black
As you know, a first daughter is usually named for her maternal grandmother
I know who this girl married etc but, will leave that for now, until her mother's parentage is clarified

Offline Orontes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 01 February 18 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Orontes,
The child named Christian/Christina  b 1832 could not be the mother.
She died  on 5 Aug 1840.

The Mortcloth book is available to purchase from Lanarkshire Family History Society (LFHS)
I have a copy.
It contains  just 17 individuals named Stevenson.
Earliest death is a child named Andrew who died in 1798
The latest one is Margaret Stevenson ( Cochran) who died on 25 Sep 1854
She  the widow of Allan Stevenson and I am certain that there is a familial connection, either on the Stevenson or Cochran side ( possibly both)
I am also sure that she is the 65yr old Martha Stevenson who is in the 1841 household with John's mother and is Margaret Stevenson found on the 1851 census with her own family.
There are Park children on both of these returns
I believe her daughter named Elizabeth Stevenson married David Park.

EDIT
The child named Christina Campbell had one daughter only.
She named her Isabella Stevenson Black
I know who this girl married etc but, will leave that for now, until her mother's parentage is clarified
Thanks again Anne, I must go do some housework.  We are speaking to eachother from opposite sides of the world, morning here.It is handy to have the deaths of course as you can get really carried away, trying to find marriages births etc for a person, but they may have died some time before. I usually always look for a death if I cannot find the person.  that or they immigrated or went into the military.  Will let you know the outcome on Saturday.  Isabella Stevenson was 22 when that child Christina Campbell was born.

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 01 February 18 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Orontes,
Did you find this?
Marriage of Andrew Ormiston and Bethia Balfour  ( Bethia is a variant of Elizabeth)
Banns: 6 Oct 1793 Barony

Children on SP born to Andrew Ormiston and Elizabeth Balfour
Christian: 7 Jun 1807 Gorbals
Jane Douglas: 10 Oct 1813 Gorbals

From the 1851 census in Cambuslang, you already know that there was an older child named Andrew Ormiston entered as age 46.
 Born circa 1895, which is around 2 yrs after parents married

Christian & her sister were born 12yrs & 20yr respectively, after their parents marriage.
There are probably other children where the baptism entries have not survived

However, it seems odd that John & Christina Stevenson do not appear to have a child named for Christina's mother
Looking at the Stevenson births between 1826 and 1835, there isn't an obvious gap where a daughter with this name would fit in?