Author Topic: John Stevenson married Christian Ormiston January 1826, Cambuslang, lLKS, SCT  (Read 6249 times)

Offline Orontes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi,
Are there any family members of the above couple please about.  Their daughter Isabella Stevenson aged 26 was married to John McArthur, aged 28 son of Duncan McArthur and Margaret Smith (according to what is on the marriage certificate) 2 December, 1856 at Cambuslang. Both were working at Cathcart at the time of marriage. . They immigrated to Australia a fortnight later. Havent been able to find Johns birth in a parish register to date and have checked the censuses.  No marriage has been found for his parents Duncan and Margaret either.

Thought I would see if any luck on the Stevenson side.  I have census of the Stevensons Think John Stevenson was a invalided soldier.Haven't any details of that as yet..  Have been searching for over 30 years,but records are becoming released all of the time. I havent advanced any though, so far.
Thanks

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: John Stevenson married Christian Ormiston January 1826, Cambuslang, lLKS, SCT
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 January 18 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Not sure what you need?

Familysearch has the Birth/Christenings of John Stevenson/Christina Ormistons children;
MARY 1826
GEORGE 1828
ISOBEL 1830*** (Mother as Christian Ormister)
CHRISTIAN 1832
ANDREW 1835

You have all the census entries John born c 1792/1793 Cambuslang, Lanark

JOHN Stevenson
Birth Date   01 Jan 1792 
Father ALEXANDER

1851 Census Andrew Conniston age 46, Brother in Law is with them.
+ their Daug Mary c 1826

As John/Christian died after 1871 Census their Death Certs from Scotlandspeople will have their Parents details.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John Stevenson married Christian Ormiston January 1826, Cambuslang, lLKS, SCT
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 January 18 18:12 GMT (UK) »
There are 2 family trees on Ancestry which follow the line of Isabella's sister Mary They have a death date of 26 Nov 1871 for John parents George Stevenson and Mary Cochran

Scotlands People has one baptismal record of Andrew Stevenson 1802 with parents George and Mary It has also a death of a William Stevenson mother's MS Cochran in 1864 age 53

For Christian they have a death date of 29 Jul 1877 parents Andrew Ormiston Elizabeth Balfour name listed as Christina

No baptismal records on Scotland's People for children to this couple or deaths with mothers MS Balfour

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 January 18 18:40 GMT (UK) »
For the John McArthur there are 3 family trees on Ancestry following the lines of 3 different children of John and Isabella (Isabella b 1857, William 1865 and Alexander 1869 also 2 children no mothers name on one tree Duncan b 1841  Isabella b 1849) They all state John's parents are Hamilton McArthur and Mary Perry no marriage record of this couple On Scotlands people although there is a death of a Hamiton McArthur in 1865

according to one tree Mary Perry dies before 1843 as Hamilton marries an Elizabeth Stevenson and John was one of 12 children and 2 half brothers and 2 half sisters

Offline Orontes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 January 18 01:11 GMT (UK) »
For the John McArthur there are 3 family trees on Ancestry following the lines of 3 different children of John and Isabella (Isabella b 1857, William 1865 and Alexander 1869 also 2 children no mothers name on one tree Duncan b 1841  Isabella b 1849) They all state John's parents are Hamilton McArthur and Mary Perry no marriage record of this couple On Scotlands people although there is a death of a Hamiton McArthur in 1865

according to one tree Mary Perry dies before 1843 as Hamilton marries an Elizabeth Stevenson and John was one of 12 children and 2 half brothers and 2 half sisters

Hi Wendy thanks for your replies, I appreciate your time in doing so.  Unfortunately, information supplied by the public to ancestry can be so wrong.  I have the marriage certificate of John McArthur and Isabella Stevenson.  His father was Duncan McArthur and his mother Margaret Smith.  John and Isabella had 9 children, all born in Tasmania. the first named after her mother Isabella 1857, Margaret 1858 named after his mother, John, maybe named after John Mcarthur or John Stevenson, George, named after his grandfather, William, no idea who he was named after, Peter, Duncan after his Grandfather and the youngest, Robert Russell named after the minister in Evandale who baptised them all. Was excited last year when I found on familysearch and ancestry in a scottish census a family with Peter, Duncan,  John 1828 and a Robert.  The census place was Cathcart or so it said.  Then when I looked on Scotlands peeople it was Cartsdyke not Cathcart, so that was that.  It gave a father Duncan and a mother Janet.  I did think it was a second wife, but have since checked Scotlands people and find that she was his first wife and John Was janets child for this family not Margaret.
I am hoping to find a living family member of the Stevenson family who were living in Cambuslang in the 1850 and before to see if they can help with the Stevenson history and at the same time they may shed some light on the actual birth place and actual birth date of John McArthur  I have six possible Johns in the censises 1841 to 1851 with no parents though. There lies my problem.
Thanks Wendy

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 January 18 01:27 GMT (UK) »

Who are the witnesses on the marriage certificate, 1856?

Do you know what ship they travelled on.

It is difficult to easily find the information you are giving when it is endless continuous text. It would be better with upper case for family names, and a separate line for each of children.

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 January 18 01:33 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought could John have come from Ireland without his parents

Offline Orontes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 January 18 01:35 GMT (UK) »
There are 2 family trees on Ancestry which follow the line of Isabella's sister Mary They have a death date of 26 Nov 1871 for John parents George Stevenson and Mary Cochran

Scotlands People has one baptismal record of Andrew Stevenson 1802 with parents George and Mary It has also a death of a William Stevenson mother's MS Cochran in 1864 age 53

For Christian they have a death date of 29 Jul 1877 parents Andrew Ormiston Elizabeth Balfour name listed as Christina

No baptismal records on Scotland's People for children to this couple or deaths with mothers MS Balfour
Hi again
Wendy, I have seen this George and Mary and think they could be John Stevensons parents.  I have it jotted down  someplace in the file. I can see where the William McArthur, born 27 June 1864 (our line) got his name from, his Uncle William Stevenson too now. He has died in 1864 in Scotland and Isabella has name her new born son after him. Can't remember a mention of William Stevenson in the census but may have been working away. I found I do also have John Sevenson and Christian Ormiston Proclamation of marriage in 1825, I thought their actual marriage date was 1826.  Peter may be the key to finding which McArthur family our John comes from.  Thanks again.

Offline Orontes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 January 18 01:42 GMT (UK) »
Not sure what you need?

Familysearch has the Birth/Christenings of John Stevenson/Christina Ormistons children;
MARY 1826
GEORGE 1828
ISOBEL 1830*** (Mother as Christian Ormister)
CHRISTIAN 1832
ANDREW 1835

You have all the census entries John born c 1792/1793 Cambuslang, Lanark

JOHN Stevenson
Birth Date   01 Jan 1792 
Father ALEXANDER

1851 Census Andrew Conniston age 46, Brother in Law is with them.
+ their Daug Mary c 1826

As John/Christian died after 1871 Census their Death Certs from Scotlandspeople will have their Parents details.

Trish :)
Hi Trish, thanks for replying especially since you have your hands full there.  I am hoping to be in touch with the Stevenson family descendants of John Stevenson and Christian Ormiston whose daughter Isabella born 1830 at Cambuslang, married John McArthur of a unknown birthdate in 1828 and unknown birthplace at this time.  Hopefully a family bible will yield a good result.  I know the McArthur bible states 2 December 1856 for marriage at Cambuslang, with Johns age as 28 and Isabellas as 26 and both their parents, Duncan McArthur and Margaret Smith, John Stevenson and Christian Ormiston.  So no mystery there. Unfortunately there is a family in ancestry who is following the wrong family.  I am not subscribed but may have to so I can put them in the right direction.
Thanks again.
Edie