Author Topic: John Stevenson married Christian Ormiston January 1826, Cambuslang, lLKS, SCT  (Read 6252 times)

Offline Orontes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Stevenson married Christian Ormiston January 1826, Cambuslang, lLKS, SCT
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 28 January 18 01:50 GMT (UK) »
For the John McArthur there are 3 family trees on Ancestry following the lines of 3 different children of John and Isabella (Isabella b 1857, William 1865 and Alexander 1869 also 2 children no mothers name on one tree Duncan b 1841  Isabella b 1849) They all state John's parents are Hamilton McArthur and Mary Perry no marriage record of this couple On Scotlands people although there is a death of a Hamiton McArthur in 1865

according to one tree Mary Perry dies before 1843 as Hamilton marries an Elizabeth Stevenson and John was one of 12 children and 2 half brothers and 2 half sisters
HI Wendy,
This is the ancestry tree totally up the creek.  We have only got as far back as 1856 for John and Isabellas marriage and there is a brickwall at that point.  No problems with Isabella, she can be traced as too her parents through Cambuslang.  Different for John McArthur though born 1828 as he was 28 in 1856 time of marriage.  I dont have death for either of his parents Duncan mcArthur or Margaret Smith.  Cathcart I beleive was in Renfreshire in 1856, but now divided between Renfrewshire and Lanarkshire since 1912. Marriage cert notes Duncan, deceased at tie of his sons marriage in 1856.  So you can rule Hamilton out as his father and also there are no children named Hamilton in the line up of children for John and Isabella.

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John Stevenson married Christian Ormiston January 1826, Cambuslang, lLKS, SCT
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 28 January 18 01:56 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry family tree again (I know they can be wrong ) has William Stevenson dies 22 Dec 1864 married to Jane Fairbairn also they have Williams death certificate which confirms his parents and wife
Another one has a sister Elizabeth b 1803 died 14 Aug 1862 married to David Park

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 28 January 18 01:59 GMT (UK) »
For the John McArthur there are 3 family trees on Ancestry following the lines of 3 different children of John and Isabella (Isabella b 1857, William 1865 and Alexander 1869 also 2 children no mothers name on one tree Duncan b 1841  Isabella b 1849) They all state John's parents are Hamilton McArthur and Mary Perry no marriage record of this couple On Scotlands people although there is a death of a Hamiton McArthur in 1865

according to one tree Mary Perry dies before 1843 as Hamilton marries an Elizabeth Stevenson and John was one of 12 children and 2 half brothers and 2 half sisters
HI Wendy,
This is the ancestry tree totally up the creek.  We have only got as far back as 1856 for John and Isabellas marriage and there is a brickwall at that point.  No problems with Isabella, she can be traced as too her parents through Cambuslang.  Different for John McArthur though born 1828 as he was 28 in 1856 time of marriage.  I dont have death for either of his parents Duncan mcArthur or Margaret Smith.  Cathcart I beleive was in Renfreshire in 1856, but now divided between Renfrewshire and Lanarkshire since 1912. Marriage cert notes Duncan, deceased at tie of his sons marriage in 1856.  So you can rule Hamilton out as his father and also there are no children named Hamilton in the line up of children for John and Isabella.

Is his mother still living at the time of his marriage as unfortunately no death of a Margaret Smith other name McArthur in Scotland

Offline Orontes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 28 January 18 02:06 GMT (UK) »

Who are the witnesses on the marriage certificate, 1856?

Do you know what ship they travelled on.

It is difficult to easily find the information you are giving when it is endless continuous text. It would be better with upper case for family names, and a separate line for each of children.
Hi Wivnehoe,Thanks for replying.  the endless text is so people dont read between the lines.  I f you give all of the information known at time of first post, people dont waste their time looking for what is already gathered by researcher. Robert Speirs was the witness it doesnt help a lot, but have been checking the 1841 and 1851 census for any clues of Spiers  with a John McArthur born 1828 or have checked either side of that too. I already know the ship Broomielaw but that wouldnt help with my quest.  I have everything from that point.  Even checked the passenger list to see who else was on the vessel. 

Offline Orontes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 28 January 18 02:11 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought could John have come from Ireland without his parents
Hi Wendy,
I have actually entertained this thought myself. There are John McArthurs born 1828 or thereabouts on  the census, but I am pretty sure I have ruled him out.  My John mcArthur cannot b e in the 1861 census as theywerein Tasmania by 1857. so I only need check the 41 and 51.  I have done this time again and have about 6.  Without parents listed or most of the time on his own, hard to find right one. there is no date of birth on any document over here as yet.  John died 13th April 1910.  Was trying to find the Burial record from a funeral director but no luck so far. Isabella died 6 August 1914 at Patersonbia where they owned a farm.

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 28 January 18 02:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wendy,
I have actually entertained this thought myself. There are John McArthurs born 1828 or thereabouts on  the census, but I am pretty sure I have ruled him out.  My John mcArthur cannot b e in the 1861 census as theywerein Tasmania by 1857. so I only need check the 41 and 51.  I have done this time again and have about 6.  Without parents listed or most of the time on his own, hard to find right one. there is no date of birth on any document over here as yet.  John died 13th April 1910.  Was trying to find the Burial record from a funeral director but no luck so far. Isabella died 6 August 1914 at Patersonbia where they owned a farm.
Ancestry have the cemetery record for John as the family trees have it linked to him my sub isn't world so can't access the actual image but the bit I could see states b about 1827 died at Patersonbia

Offline Orontes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 28 January 18 03:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wendy,
Ancestry have the cemetery record for John as the family trees have it linked to him my sub isn't world so can't access the actual image but the bit I could see states b about 1827 died at Patersonbia
I have been to the Patersonia Cemetary and have a plan of the cemetary and who is buried there etc.  Have a photograph of the grave.  John and Isabella plus their son Peter who was killed are all there in the one grave.  I was told that the Burial record, can sometimes give more detail than the death cert.  So would like to find that.  i know the funeral directors, but no luck yet.

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 02:06 GMT (UK) »
Christina Stevenson other name Ormiston died in Cambuslang in 1877 aged 70
John Stevenson died in Cambuslang in 1871 aged 79

I can see the earlier post where the info was found on another tree.

They are the  same couple who can be found on census returns in Cambuslang from 1841 through to 1871
I would be very surprised if  John was not the son of George Stevenson and Mary Cochran !
at 1807 George and Mary were in Cambuslang and had 5  children in their household but, all were un named

George Stevenson died in Cambuslang 29 Jan 1829 followed by his wife on 25 Jul 1847.

I am also certain that another couple named Allan Stevenson and his wife Margaret Cochran were  each a sibling to George and Mary.
Allan and Margaret are also in Cambuslang at 1807 with 2 un named children n the house
No death for Allan but Margaret died 25 Sep 1854.

Sticking my neck out again but, see the 1841 census in Bushy hill where George's widow is living/
I am certain that the 65 yr old Martha Stevenson in her home, is in fact Margaret, widow of Allan Stevenson
At 1851 Margaret is in Chapelton, Cambuslang aged 74.

There  is no matching Margaret at 1841 and no matching Martha at 1851.
No Martha's in Mortcloth suggests that Margaret and Martha is the same person.
Margaret, widow of Allan died on 25 Sep 1854.
 Stevenson deaths where mother's name shows as Cochran could be a child of either couple

I can also see that John and Christina's son George,  was 13yrs old at 1841.
He does not appear again on any census.
A death is entered into the Mortcloth for:
George Stevenson, son of John died 30 Mar 1849

There are a number of deaths in the correct time period for Stevenson children with a father named John but, some of them are definitely the children of John Stevenson and Mary Brown.
Birth years for children of both Johns overlap which confirm they are different men.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 02:44 GMT (UK) »
My suggestion about continuous text is about the presentation, not the substance of the information you are giving for use.

We don't want to read between the lines, but it would be helpful to see between the sentences.

(example anne_p, at reply#16)