Author Topic: Army group photo - please help with details  (Read 2931 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Army group photo - please help with details
« Reply #18 on: Monday 29 January 18 17:38 GMT (UK) »
The number is OK.   RAMC numbers were not allocated on a RAMC wide basis but rather to the unit/area they joined up with which had blocks allocated . There were at least 12 men in the RAMC with the service number 1889 as your grandfather and a number who joined in 1914 with numbers starting 278xx

MaxD

Thanks MaxD, useful to know. They were from Cardiff too. Apologies for hijacking your post Roy, hope you find some answers.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 29 January 18 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Max: A post card from his wife is addressed as follows:
27885 RAMC
Military Hospital
Bulford Camp
Salisbury Plain, Wilts
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 29 January 18 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Couldn't be clearer.  Any ideas who the Mr WS Cresswell at No 17 was?  (Theory - same man, in the Red Cross before the war, but serves in the RAMC, Red Cross keeps a parallel record of him - need to do more work on that).

Now two puzzles.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 29 January 18 19:44 GMT (UK) »
According to 1911 a family Butts resided at No 17.  The family home of my man WSC is No 18 and it is still in the family today.  No 17 on the Red Cross card could be a typing error.  There is only one person and he was in No 18.  Hope that makes sense.   
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk