Author Topic: Catholic Church near 17 Lynn Street West Hartlepool?  (Read 1101 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Catholic Church near 17 Lynn Street West Hartlepool?
« on: Saturday 27 January 18 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Could anyone tell me which Catholic Church may have been around the area of 17 Lynn Street, (a photography studio which I think will have been near the family home) West Hartlepool around 1910?  I have just posted a query on the photography board trying to get a photo dated.  From a replies posted this has now possibly opened up a new avenue of research concerning where my deceased aunt may have been baptized.

Her name was Elizabeth Conroy and she was born in Dudley Northumberland on 4 July 1910.   She was the eldest child.   I have found the baptisms of all her siblings at St John RC Church, Annitsford, Northumberland.  However, I have never been able to find a baptism for her in this area. 

I am now wondering if she may have moved briefly to West Hartlepool with the family and would now like to look into this further.  I have heard that my Grandfather was a very strict Catholic indeed and so I am quite sure that her baptism would not have been overlooked.

17 Lynn Street was a photography studio and this is written on the back of a photo I have posted on the photography board.

Many thanks in advance of any replies.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Catholic Church near 17 Lynn Street West Hartlepool?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 January 18 13:53 GMT (UK) »
At that time The nearest Roman Catholic Church was St. Joseph's, Hutton Avenue. http://www.hhtandn.org/venues/864/st-josephs-rc-church
There was also St Mary's R.C. Church http://www.hhtandn.org/venues/295/st-marys-rc-church
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 January 18 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Stan posted while I was typing, and I think he knows the area far better than I do. But here's my post anyway:

Genuki's page on Stranton lists three RC churches in West Hartlepool - see http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DUR/Stranton

There's a page for each church - I thought St Joseph's might have been closest to Lynn Street, but the others were still fairly near.

If you follow the link to show churches on a map, that shows that there are/were two in Hartlepool as well (not listed on the main Hartlepool page) - and there may well have been more in other places nearby.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 January 18 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both very much for your help.  I do appreciate this very much! :)

I will now have to check to see if these Church records are held at Durham Archives.  I live in North Tyneside so this Archive is not too close but I hope to get there at some point this year, work permitting.  Perhaps, I may finally be able to find my Aunt Betty's (named Elizabeth Ann Conroy at birth) baptism which has eluded me for years. :)

Best Wishes :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 January 18 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 January 18 15:21 GMT (UK) »
St Thomas More (1953), and St Cuthbert's (1928) were built after 1910.
http://www.hhtandn.org/venues/1252/st-cuthberts-church
http://www.hhtandn.org/venues/2766/st-thomas-more-roman-catholic-church

Stan

Thanks for the clarification, Stan. The church pages at Genuki each have a link to the church's own web page, and while St Joseph's page has a photo showing a building of the right sort of age, there are no pictures of the other two.

I hadn't come across the site you linked to (Hartlepool History Then & Now), but it's clearly much more comprehensive.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 January 18 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for additional information on above posts. :)

I think it sounds like St Joseph's needs to be first port of call when I am able to go searching for my Aunty Barry's baptism.

Her parents (my Grandparents married at St John RC in 1909.  No baptism found for Aunty Betty in this area.  Then there are baptisms at St John for my Dad and subsequent siblings.  This suggests to me that for a brief time they must have lived elsewhere.  I am thinking that this may have been West Hartlepool as the back of a family photo has the address of a West Hartlepool photographers. 

Best Wishes :)