Author Topic: Nottingham pub  (Read 682 times)

Offline greyingrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nottingham pub
« on: Saturday 27 January 18 15:14 GMT (UK) »
I need some tips to help me find out where a Nottingham pub was. I'd better point out that I know it was in Nottm in the seventeenth century (!), so I guess I'm asking for tips on how I could find out rather than anyone's local knowledge. Unfortunately, I live a long way away, so can't get to the Local Studies Library. It was called The Salter's Arms...I've got the name of the landlord somewhere if it would help. I think the salting of food used to be done in the caves, so  I think that there was a good chance it was in the general area of the Castle or perhaps Broad Marsh/Bridlesmith Gate etc. Knowing my ancestors, there's probably someone at the site in an inebriated state, waiting to be hauled home

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Nottingham pub
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 January 18 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Heres a link to 17th. Century Token Halfpennies dated 1667  Robert Rotherham, Salters Arms. Nottingham.

http://gilliscoins.com/coinage/tokens_and_later_coinage/monarch/17th_century_tokens.htm

It does not help you place the pub though!
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline greyingrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 January 18 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, purlin. I've got one of those tokens.....that's how I know about the pub. I've also got one from Newark from the same period....so I'd be grateful to anyone who knows anywhere I can find out about that pub !

Offline Rattus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 January 18 19:41 GMT (UK) »
You could ask the Nottingham Archives team for help...

http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/culture-leisure/archives/enquiry-and-research-services

... but it would probably be chargeable and results aren't guaranteed. However...

"Enquiries about the nature of our holdings and suggested avenues of research will be answered free of charge."

So you could ask them about suggested avenues of research and then post back here asking for help from anyone who can visit the archives on your behalf.
BARTRAM - Nottingham, Derby, originally Beds (Stagsden)
PERFETT - St Pancras & Marylebone, Rugby, Nottingham
RADFORD - Nottinghamshire, also back & forth to Bury
RUDD - Durham, Margate, Bermondsey, Newcastle, Nottingham

Offline copperbeech5

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 January 18 23:14 GMT (UK) »
You could also try Nottingham Library (Angel Row) they are the most helpful team in the local history dept!

Kind regards,
Copperbeech5
Hutchinson - Nottingham.
Rowland - Nottingham.
Parkin - Co Durham/Nottingham.
Gardiner/Gardner/Gardener - Co Durham.
Drake - Derbyshire/Lincolnshire/Sussex/London?
Leighton - Derbyshire.