Author Topic: William Showler Cavill Lawrence & 'Hilda Lawrence' - died in Doncaster 1911-30  (Read 766 times)

Offline TessieWessie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My great Grandfather William S C Lawrence and his partner/wife Hilda moved from Kirby le-Soken in Essex where they had a confectionery shop in 1911, to I believe Doncaster where Hilda originally came from.

Hilda's real surname was Booth and she was born around 1860 in Norton, Sheffield and her father was a Thomas Booth, a blacksmith also from Norton.  Hilda had 4 children by William 2 sons and two daughters, all born in London or Essex.

William was a Londoner born in St.Pancras in 1841 which makes him over 70 when he decided to move to Doncaster with Hilda, but I don't know if any of their children born 1895, 1897, 1899, 1901 went with them.  One son Sidney died in WW1 while the 2nd son Reginald changed his name to Wiliam Farrow and after a couple of marriages emigrated to Australia.

William had run public houses from 1871 to 1908 while Hilda ran the confectionery shop.

I would like to know if William ran another pub in Doncaster which could be why they moved there.  I would also like to know where they lived in Doncaster and if either daughter went to live in Doncaster with them.

TeWe

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Showler Cavill Lawrence & 'Hilda Lawrence' - died in Doncaster 1911-30
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 January 18 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Did they both pass away in Doncaster?

The death certificates may give more information like an address, occupation and the informant may be a family member.

I would look for marriages for the daughters as well to start with  :)
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Showler Cavill Lawrence & 'Hilda Lawrence' - died in Doncaster 1911-30
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 January 18 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Marriage for one of the daughters? -

Dora Mary Lawrence
Age - 22
Birth year - 1898
Residence - 36 Arthur Street
Marriage - 17 Dec 1920, Christ Church, Doncaster
Spouse Albert Gray
Spouse's age - 19
Spouse's residence - 36 Arthur Street
Father's Name - William Lawrence (deceased)
Spouse's father's name - Frederick Gray
Wits - Thomas & Ada Sidney

JJ

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 January 18 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Possible death for the above lady -

Dora M Gray
Death Age - 59
Registration Date - Sep 1958
Registration district - Doncaster
Vol 2b Page 292

JJ

Offline TessieWessie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 January 18 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Millipede

I didn't think the children went up to Doncaster so have been concentrating on the Essex, London area regarding death/marriage/ births for daughters certificates as they had lots of relatives in Essex who they could have stayed with.  Thanks for your help with my query.

JJen.

Thanks so much for all the info you sent.  I didn't expect Dora's marriage info so am really grateful for that.

Offline TessieWessie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 January 18 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Miliepede

Yes they both died in Doncaster.  Thanks again.

Offline glenclare

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 January 18 22:19 GMT (UK) »
I think Caroline married in Colchester reg district, Q4 1923 to Wilfred H Hardy.

Do you know for sure that William moved to Doncaster with Hilda ?

Offline TessieWessie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 January 18 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Actually no, I'm not totally sure as the last recorded item of William prior to the 1911 census was around 1908, noted as a confectioner. On the 1901 census he was running a public house in Kirby le Soken with Hilda.  He was not mentioned on the 19ll census, but Hilda was and she was recorded as being married with 4 children and her employment was that of running a confectionery shop/business.

I have always just assumed that if they moved they would stay together.  I did find a death of a Hilda Lawrence in Doncaster around 1917 but knew that Hilda was not her real name which I believe was Amelia, so continued to look for an Amelia Lawrence with no luck.

Hilda/Amelia had a very interesting life - she was married to a Scotsman and lived in St.Pancras with him and his or their children on the 1881 census.  My Gt. Grandfather was married to a Jane Rawle and they ran a public house in Essex on the 1881 census.  On the 1891 Census Jane was now running the pub with the help of her 6 children and William had left the pub but was running a beer house in Walthamstow.  By the 1901 census he had acquired a new 'wife' and a further 4 children and was running a pub in Kirby le Soken.  Hilda/Amelia must have left the children she had by the Scotsman when she met up with William Lawrence.