Author Topic: OPR Baptism Question  (Read 668 times)

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
OPR Baptism Question
« on: Saturday 27 January 18 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Geo Inksater married Frances Turner in Newcastle Upon Tyne in 1829.  They had 3 children from 1829-1835, the eldest who was born 2 months following the marriage was the only one baptised.

From the burial register Frances dies 1835 (buried 9 OCT), 6 months after the birth of their youngest.

George heads back to the Orkneys and marries his 1st cousin in Feb 1836 he dies in March.

Then in 1838 the two youngest children were baptised in Kirkwall; the entry states - children of Geo and Sibillia Inksater (does not say lawful children).

Was the purpose of this baptism long after the their father’s death to negate the children from being deemed orphans? 

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: OPR Baptism Question
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 January 18 17:40 GMT (UK) »
I presume the children were brought up by their stepmother. The baptism is not connected in any way with the deaths of their natural parents. The kirk and community expected all children to be baptised and this was normally done as infants. It will have been discovered that the children had missed out on baptism or there was no evidence that they had been baptised.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: OPR Baptism Question
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 January 18 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks GR2, I am likely overthinking this one. 

Sibillia had a place on Shapinsay they lived with her for about 8 years then they were on their own and lived in Kirkwall.  The eldest and youngest were servants and the son was apprenticing with Wm Craigie the shoemaker.  Once he completed his apprenticeship they emigrated.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.