Author Topic: William Campbell - Australia (or NZ?) b 1873 - disappeared some time after 1904  (Read 4011 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: William Campbell - Australia (or NZ?) b 1873 - disappeared some time after 1904
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 January 18 03:44 GMT (UK) »
William Joseph CAMPBELL, tram conductor, witness at Coroner’s Inquest, in NZ.

Auckland Star, vol. XXXVIII, iss. 144, of 18 June 1907
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/AS19070618.2.49
And
NZ Herald, vol XLIV, iss 13468, 19 June 1907
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/NZH19070619.2.11

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Campbell - Australia (or NZ?) b 1873 - disappeared some time after 1904
« Reply #10 on: Monday 29 January 18 04:30 GMT (UK) »
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/16055205   SMH 23 May 1923
Body found in Middle Harbour.  William Joseph CAMPBELL, of Old South Head Road, Woollahra.    I note there’s no apparent NSW BDM registration for this death.  Perhaps the coroner issued a burial order and there was no follow up for the civil registration.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 29 January 18 04:37 GMT (UK) »
Oops,  I forgot to include the following .... perhaps just a co-incidence as CAMPBELL is a very popular surname.

Sands Sydney 1925 Alpha Directory
Thomas CAMPBELL, 578 Old South Head Road, WOOLLAHRA

JM

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 29 January 18 04:39 GMT (UK) »
Search of NZ deaths and cemeteries on Auckland Council cemeteries database...a possibility :-\

1924/8786   
CAMPBELL    William    51 years

Burial
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lff/   
In memory of  William, beloved husband of Jean CAMPBELL, who fell asleep Dec 12, 1924, aged 51 years. To memory dear.

Paticulars of estates placed under the Public Trustee Dec 1924.
CAMPBELL William   Auckland  Tramway motorman  12 Dec 1924   Testate.

Cando      
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 29 January 18 05:08 GMT (UK) »
There is this NZ marriage which may well be the couple below.

1906/2655
CAMPBELL William John   
TIKEY  Jeannie

Electoral Roll
1911, 1914, 1919, Auckland/Manakau
CAMPBELL  Jeannie The Drive, Epsom  Married
CAMPBELL William  The Drive, Epsom Motorman

You would need a print out of Wm's death registration to take the research further.  May simply be a co-incidence of names and occupations.

Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 29 January 18 05:15 GMT (UK) »
Also I found newspaper reports of a William Campbell, a tram conductor, who was killed in NZ, but the newspaper reports were very clear on the names of his parents, which were very different and that he came from the UK, so I gave up my theory of bigamy.

Could you please post the link to the news article with the details.   I've read all I can find on NZ Papers Past but cannot find the article you mention.  I can only find the mention of a J HUNTER, in the funeral notice.   Probably my age :P  More curious that anything else.

Cando

Offline dmonaghan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 29 January 18 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Please find attached a very disordered collection of articles that I grabbed at the time.  Maybe a different set of eyes might see something I did not see.  I am sorry but I had to break my original document down to little ones to keep under the roots chat file size.
I am pretty sure I ordered the marriage cert or death of this William Campbell and the parentage was clearly stated and not my William.
I will look at all the info you have posted today in detail, but just wanted to make sure that anyone who is 'on the case' can continue their momentum with this info I had previously found.
I am very grateful to you all - please stay on the case - I know myself that I get on a roll and it really bugs me when I can't quite unlock the mystery for someone.  I do appreciate the extra sets of ideas and also, different people are familiar with different source documents.  He has to be out there somewhere........

Deborah

Offline dmonaghan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 29 January 18 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Sorry about the multiple posts with attachments - I had trouble getting the right size and format for roots chat.

Offline dmonaghan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 29 January 18 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Another few