Author Topic: William Campbell - Australia (or NZ?) b 1873 - disappeared some time after 1904  (Read 4037 times)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Campbell - Australia (or NZ?) b 1873 - disappeared some time after 1904
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 00:16 GMT (UK) »
What was William's occupation when he married Susan and when his youngest child was born?

I can see that son (Thomas) Leslie died in July 1919, but what happened in June 1919?

14 June 1919
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/139437403

MRS. CAMPBELL & FAMILY wish to thank Mrs Hunt, also Mrs Dymott and family, for their kindness and sympathy during our sad trouble. Mrs. Campbell, Ridge-street, Merewether.

Debra  :)

Online sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Campbell - Australia (or NZ?) b 1873 - disappeared some time after 1904
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 06:26 GMT (UK) »
I am no real help here, but curious about the passage in the death notice mentioning William died at the home of his uncle. J HUNTER.

If used in its correct sense his uncle would need to be-

his mother's brother
his mother's sister's husband
his father's brother
his father's sister's husband.

Is anything known of J. HUNTER of Church Street?

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dmonaghan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 03 February 18 07:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,
I did have this from my grandfather's(Eric James Campbell) effects - I don't know if it was a little note or something that was cut out as I do not have these effects anymore.
Campbell - In memory of our beloved son & brother Leslie who passed away July 6 1919 age 18 years.The spirit of a True & Loving Soul never can our hearts forget the sorrow of the past when grief has left so deep a wound the pain must always last a devoted son a faithful brother

SO, thank you, I will look further in to this death as I do not have his death certificate.

Also, I do have the original Marriage Cert of Susan Gray and William Campbell - have attached the transcript of it - he was a labourer and she was the domestic daughter of a Gentleman.  She came from Victoria so was she a governess of something like this?

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 03 February 18 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Newcastle Morning Herald and Miners' Advocate 6th July 1921
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/141075918
CAMPBELL.-In memory of our beloved son and brother, Leslie, who passed away July 6, 1919.
Never can our hearts forget
The sorrow of the past,
When grief has left so deep a wound,
The pain must always last,
Leaving an aching void this world can never flll
Never forgotten by his mother and brothers, Eric and Norbert, Ridge-street, Merewether.

Also 6th July 1922 https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/139347704
7th July 1924 https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/137643097

Offline dmonaghan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 03 February 18 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much - I guess I will have to try to find out how he died.  On the subject of William Campbell of Woollahra, have found this much:
The Inquest records at State Records, the Series is 2766 item 3/955 Roll 343 - City Coroner Register of Inquests and Reports spread across a number of years.

No. 700 William Joseph CAMPBELL (before J Jamieson, P.M.) at City Coroners Court on June 1. Received June 7, age 64, born Newcastle, died Middle Harbour. Verdict asphyxia from drowning, but how or by what means evidence does not enable to say. (Found dead with marks of violence) Property real estate 1000 pounds joint owner. Doctor A.A.Palmer P.M. held.
[then various coding in column labeled Remarks]

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 03 February 18 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Leslie died from influenza.

http://www.nma.gov.au/online_features/defining_moments/featured/influenza-pandemic

Leslie Campbell, son of Mrs. Campbell, of Ridge-street, Merewether, died at his residence last night from Influenza. He was 18 years of age, and a promising youth. The funeral took place this afternoon, and was attended by many friends. A number of the members of the Junction Lodge of the Manchester Unity Order or Oddfellows also walked in the procession. The interment was in the Catholic cemetery at Sandgate.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/162561523

Debra  :)

Offline dmonaghan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 03 February 18 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone, Thank you so much for helping me - I have never used Roots Chat before, and thought I was not too bad with tracking things down, but this collective brains trust is amazing.  I have searched some of the same resources you have and not come up with the same articles - so I am completely blown away by this and will use it again.  I will be going to State Records next Saturday to take a look at William Campbell's Coroner's report - hopefully this is my great grandfather (though it looks like he died from something violent) 
I will keep on it and I do hope you will too.

Offline dmonaghan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 03 February 18 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debra,
Will need to check this about Leslie - my father's family are all staunchly identified with Presbyterian so I am surprised to see a Catholic funeral here. 
I have not been able to track Susan Campbell down in those intervening years on Electoral Rolls, etc, so maybe we don't have the right one?    Though it looks right.
Also, my Susan was Bulahdelah and Stroud based - but the Merewether thing is definitely a possibility.  Will have to track through the Electoral Rolls, I think

Offline dmonaghan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 03 February 18 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Just checked - you are right - the burial, etc of Leslie Campbell was Catholic, as was his mother Susan Campbell - they are buried together.
So, back to William Campbell and what happened to him after 1904 until ? the death in 1923?