Author Topic: William Campbell - Australia (or NZ?) b 1873 - disappeared some time after 1904  (Read 4025 times)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Campbell - Australia (or NZ?) b 1873 - disappeared some time after 1904
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 03 February 18 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Do you have the death certificates of Thomas and Mary Ann, parents of your missing William, to see how they account for their children  eg. deceased.

Offline dmonaghan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William Campbell - Australia (or NZ?) b 1873 - disappeared some time after 1904
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 04 February 18 00:49 GMT (UK) »
Thomas (William's father) died in 1929 and William was on the Death Certificate - all children noted as Living - this was notified by AJ Stewart, the husband of one of William's sisters.
I don't have Mary Ann's death certificate - she died in 1927.
But if no one knew where he was, then perhaps it is not unusual for him to be still noted on his father's death certificate as living - only when we know what happened to him will we know the truth of this.  Thanks for the hint - will search out Mary Ann's death certificate.

Offline dmonaghan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 04 February 18 01:04 GMT (UK) »
This makes it all more intriguing?  Was he alive then?  We will  pull out her Deceased File at the State Records next weekend

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 04 February 18 01:14 GMT (UK) »
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/134493067 20 July 1929 NMH .... Several notices for Thomas CAMPBELL's funeral .... none mention Mr (and Mrs) W J Campbell ...

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline dmonaghan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 04 February 18 01:17 GMT (UK) »
Newcastle Morning Herald and Miners' Advocate (NSW : 1876 - 1954) Tuesday 19 March 1929 Page 1
In the Supreme Court of New South Wales — Probate Jurisdiction — In the Will of Mary Ann Campbell, late of Hamilton in the State of New South Wales, married woman, deceased —Pursuant to the Wills, Probate and Administration Act 1898 and the Testator's Family, Maintenance and Guardianship of Infants' Act 1916.   Notice is hereby required that every creditor or other person claiming any claim against the estate  of Mary Ann Campbell the above named deceased, who died on or about the 19th day of March 1927, and Probate of whose will was on the 7th day of October 1927 granted by the Supreme Court of New South Wales in its Probate Jurisdiction to James Augustin Campbell of Coffs Harbour, in the said State of New South Wales, one of the Executors in the said will named William Joseph Campbell, the other Executors in the said will named, having renounced Probate thereof, is hereby required to send particulars in writing, to such claim to the said James Augustin Campbell, in care of the undersigned Thomas Torpey at this office hereunder mentioned, on or before the 30th day of April, 1929, at the expiration of which time the said James Augustin Campbell will proceed to distribute the assets of the said deceased amongst the persons entitled thereto, having regard only to the claims of which he then has notice.  And notice is hereby further given that the said James Augustin Campbell will not be liable to any person of whose claim he shall not have had notice at the time of such ditribution.      Dated this sixteenth day of March 1929.  Thos Torpey, Proctor for the Executor, Bank Chambers, 17 Bolton Street, Newcastle.  Sydney agent: Emil E. J. Ford, Solicitor 350 George Street.

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 04 February 18 01:21 GMT (UK) »
....my father's family are all staunchly identified with Presbyterian so I am surprised to see a Catholic funeral here. 

The CAMPBELLs were Catholics, see Thomas' funeral notice.

Debra  :)

Offline dmonaghan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 04 February 18 01:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Majm - Susan Gray Campbell, William's wife, died in 1926, so that explains why she was not mentioned.  Eric Campbell was my grandfather and William's son - he is mentioned;  Norbert, his brother is mentioned too.  Slowly closing in, I hope.......

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 04 February 18 04:30 GMT (UK) »
On Susan's d.c. was her status recorded as Widow? 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline dmonaghan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 04 February 18 06:05 GMT (UK) »
Interestingly Conjugal Status had a - instead of any words.

?Is this a reflection of the fact that they did not know where he was?