Author Topic: George Dixon Military Medal London Gazette help please  (Read 1262 times)

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Dixon Military Medal London Gazette help please
« on: Saturday 27 January 18 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
Does anyone on here have a fresh pair of eyes to try and find the MM listing in the London Gazette for this man. His service record says that it was London Gazette 16 8 17. I've  tried searching and keeping wider dates in case it was late getting published and also browsing issues but all I can find are officers and he was a humble driver! I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've found MM's before but this one is eluding me.
He was George Dixon,  a driver, Royal Field Artillery 315 Brigade. Service numbers 2229 and 750963.
I have all his other details thanks re his family and his service record and medal card. Its just the London Gazette I can't locate .
Thanks - and if you find him please tell me what search terms you used!
North East of England

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Dixon Military Medal London Gazette help please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 January 18 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
Does anyone on here have a fresh pair of eyes to try and find the MM listing in the London Gazette for this man.

His service record says that it was London Gazette 16 8 17.

I've  tried searching and keeping wider dates in case it was late getting published and also browsing issues but all I can find are officers and he was a humble driver! I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've found MM's before but this one is eluding me.

He was George Dixon,  a driver, Royal Field Artillery 315 Brigade. Service numbers 2229 and 750963.

I can't find an entry either  ???

There is this site that mentions a 2nd Lt. Percy James Church King MM, 315 Bridgade Royal Field Artillery http://www.wartimememoriesproject.com/greatwar/allied/fartillery.php?pid=9879

this appears to be his entry in the supplement LG dated 18th August 1917
The London Gazette Publication date:17 August 1917

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30238/supplement/8529

I don't think this was for Percy's MM as on the previous pages the heading is

War Office,
18th August, 1917.
TERRITORIAL FORCE.
The undermentioned, from Officer Cadet
units, to be 2nd Lts.: —
ROYAL HORSE AND ROYAL FIELD ARTILLERY
then it lists the names and Percy is on next page

Sorry I can't be of more help, hope somebody with more military knowledge can help
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 15:08 GMT (UK) »
On and off searches get the same nul points in the LG.  I tentatively wonder whether it is a clerical error or do you have his medal?  His medal card does not record the MM and it is as if the fates are conspiring to keep it a secret in that the RFA Territorial Force Medal Award roll referenced on the card, RFA 128B (TF) on which he is suppose to appear on page 5602 is missing from the National Archives!
The war diary for 315 Brigade, from Jan 1917 called 315 Army Field Artillery Brigade, is at
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/a5ad37c99fb1458b979984c8088aab75 and can be downloaded for £3.50  While individual soldiers are rarely mentioned by name, an award of an MM does often figure in a war diary or an incident can be identified where x or y showed gallantry.  You might like to try that.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for that.
I have what is left of his service record where it states twice he got the military medal. I'm on an iPad at the minute and am having difficulty uploading the photo. Have tried making it smaller but it's not working. Once I can upload it I will,  then you can offer further comment. I take on board what you say about his medal card and I was puzzled about that as I have other MM on other branches and noted this card was different.
Many thanks for your help to date.
North East of England

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 19:16 GMT (UK) »
I've seen his service record OK, I am also struck by the corrections to the date.

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 21:51 GMT (UK) »
ah good that you've seen it. I'd just assumed it had say been the week or month before and then it had been delayed so it was put in later. What would you suggest might the reason be for the alteration?
Thanks .
North East of England

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 February 18 10:24 GMT (UK) »
What would you suggest might the reason be for the alteration?

Frankly your guess would be as good as mine and equally unprovable.  The date ends up as 6 (or 16) August 1917.  The only LG editions in Aug 17 with Military Medal listings were on 7, 14, 21 and 28 Aug.  I note also that the other medal entries are initialled (as is his next of kin) suggesting some sort of checking process had taken place, the MM references aren't initialled.  He certainly doesn't apear in the LG in 1917 (as you've found out).  A search term which usually works well is to use his service number only, while it may throw up others with the same number, the name would be there.  I have used, as I suspect you have, every search term possible with no joy in the whole of 1917.    I haven't yet looked at the war diary.

As the legal folk say, you have to take a view based on the facts:
His history sheet has an entry for the MM
His medal card does not have an entry for the MM
The LG has no entry for the MM

Your call!

Maxd

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 February 18 11:08 GMT (UK) »
I've just whizzed through the war diary for 1917 for 315 Bde.  There were 15 Military Medal references, 2 in March to unnamed Gunners, 2 in May to unnamed Sgts, 1 in Aug to Cpl Merritt, 6 named in Sep,  3 in Oct to Bdr Hetherington, Cpl Crewe and Bdr Calton, 1 in Oct to Dvr Murray.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 February 18 14:04 GMT (UK) »
You have been busy! Perhaps it was a clerical error and whoever wrote the service notes put it on the incorrect record, hence it being the only place where it says he he got it!
Thank you so much for your help. It's reassuring that I wasn't missing something obvious. I tried using both of his service numbers and I tried all the things I could think of , but I'm no military expert. At least I have most of his service record which can't be said for so many families after the WW2 bombing destroyed so many records.
Thanks again.
North East of England