Author Topic: 1901 census help/any alternate resources out there I can use  (Read 8985 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 census help/any alternate resources out there I can use
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 01 February 18 20:09 GMT (UK) »

The household return for 1901 would help to clear up the mystery
Boo

I did the following search... gets all James 8 (+/- 5 yrs) only 2Walsh and both not yours.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lgi/
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 01 February 18 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Yes, thanks hallmark, Sinann has established that Patrick is listed on the house and buildings return (along with a forge, which as he was a blacksmith is the clincher!) but that the household return has not been uploaded to the database.

If you search with no name specified, townland, Drummin and DED Ballinglen, no Walsh listed but click on any name in the results and view the house and building return you can see him on the last line.
Plus, I do believe that the unoccupied house on line 5, landowner Edward Walsh was his brother, who at the time was living in Liverpool and just about to retire and spend the next 5 years back in Drummin at his currently unoccupied house:-)

Boo

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Thursday 01 February 18 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Yes, thanks hallmark, Sinann has established that Patrick is listed on the house and buildings return (along with a forge, which as he was a blacksmith is the clincher!) but that the household return has not been uploaded to the database.

If you search with no name specified, townland, Drummin and DED Ballinglen, no Walsh listed but click on any name in the results and view the house and building return you can see him on the last line.
Plus, I do believe that the unoccupied house on line 5, landowner Edward Walsh was his brother, who at the time was living in Liverpool and just about to retire and spend the next 5 years back in Drummin at his currently unoccupied house:-)

Boo

Oops.....   ;D ;D

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Thursday 01 February 18 20:30 GMT (UK) »
okay, I have just found another email address - this one for Wicklow Archives. Have tried emailing that one to ask if its possible to order a copy of the missing household return , if they have the relevant reels.

Fingers crossed :-)

Boo

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Thursday 01 February 18 22:06 GMT (UK) »
I was having a look as well, is this the one you used before
http://www.wicklow.ie/heritage-contacts
In Kildare there are rooms attached to the Library in Newbridge called Local Studies(part of that is Kildare Heritage) and you can go in there to see the Census but I  can't find any thing like that in Wicklow.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Thursday 01 February 18 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Sinann, that isn't the one I used before, I found it on the Wicklow Heritage site (but now can't!) and it was a gmail address, which I thought was odd but what do I know?
and I did see the one you found earlier, but was unsure of the format of the email address (the coco.ie at the end just didn't look right for some reason)

I'll wait and see if the latest email generates a response. If not, I'll try that one but don't want to swamp them with duplicate requests.
I still may not get what I am after, they may not have the reels, but its worth a shot:-)

Boo

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Thursday 01 February 18 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Wicklow County Council Library Service Headquarters

http://www.wicklow.ie/library-contacts

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Monday 05 February 18 12:19 GMT (UK) »
I had had a reply to my email to Wicklow Archives about the missing FormA for the 1901 census return.
The lady says they do hold copy films and she has checked them for me - but this return isn't on the film so it would seem it was missed from the filming rather than the upload to the census website.

So, it looks like a dead end. The National Archives have not replied to my enquiry and the information on their website says they will only supply copies of documents if I turn up in person. That's quite a journey for me so its not likely to happen.

Boo

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Monday 05 February 18 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Oh that is a shame, at least they looked for you.
I'm never in Dublin so can't help out that way.

Only other thing I can think of is the possibility that when he's finished making corrections John Grenham may be  kept on to add missing parts.
https://www.johngrenham.com/blog/2017/11/20/census-correcting/