Author Topic: Edward Rowell Born Cambois 1871  (Read 1279 times)

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward Rowell Born Cambois 1871
« on: Saturday 27 January 18 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi

My Great grndmother`s brother Edward Rowell was born in Cambois in 1871. I am able to trace him through the census until 1901 where he is living with wife Joanna and daughter Jenny on Station Road, Ashington. His occupation was a Cycle agent.  On Facebook there is a site called Ashington remembered where people post memories or photographs of Ashington and I was interested to come across an article which I`ve attached what seems to be the same Edward Rowell

I wondered if Bothal House would have been on Station Road where Edward lived. I wondered if anyone knew what happened to the family after the article. There is a death in 1810 of Edward Rowell but this was his father, my gg grandfather. I would be grateful if anyone could help to find where the family went to.

Susan

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Rowell Born Cambois 1871
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 January 18 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked on the 1911 census for them or checked freebmd for deaths?  Possibile death in Durham in 1925 born 1873

Do you mean a death in 1910 - you have posted as 1810
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 January 18 02:10 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked on the 1911 census for them or checked freebmd for deaths?  Possibile death in Durham in 1925 born 1873

Do you mean a death in 1910 - you have posted as 1810

Hi Carole sorry yes it is indeed 1910 and not 1810. This death was his father who was buried at the Holy Seplicar aged 69 years which fits in with his birth in 1841.

I have checked freebmd and cant find them on the 1911 census on both ancestry and Find my Past  :(

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 January 18 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Could you confirm his marriage
I could only find a marriage to
Agnes Jane J Jackson in Berwick in 1896
and a possible birth for a Jane Elizabeth Rowell ,Morpeth, 1901 mother Jackson,
I don't seem able to find a match for Jenny of Joanna in births or marriages
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 January 18 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if ths is relevant I can see a Mrs AJJ Rowell, going out to South Africa
she is aged 50
18th November 1921
Ship Arundel Castle
home address South Street Wellington Somerset
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 January 18 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Edward's wife was Agnes Jane Joanna Jackson.

There are some baptisms in Ashington Holy Sepulcre for this family.

Robert Jackson Rowell baptised 2 Jan 1898, buried 5 Jan 1898, age 21 days  son of Edward and Agnes Jane Joanna Rowell, bicycle-maker, Ashington

Jane Elizabeth Rowell baptised 30 Dec 1900 d/o Edward and Joanna, Cycle maker, Ashington.  This is probably Jennie.

Edward Rowell [Sr] was buried 7 Sep 1910 age 69 of 15 Cross Row  [there are several memorials to him in the Morpeth newspaper from his wife and family] 

Elizabeth Rowell buried 28 Jan 1917, age 65 of 15 Cross Row.  Elizabeth was baptised in Ashington as age "Riper Years" 29 May 1911.  It did not include her parents names or her maiden name.

These were the only Rowells that I knew for sure is your family.  There is birth a registered in Berwick with last name Rowell and mother's maiden name of Jackson--John Wilson Rowell 1905.  Two more registered in Morpeth with MMN Jackson--John Robert Rowell 1909 and Eliza Jane Rowell 1910.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 January 18 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Agnes Jane Joanna Jackson Rowell
born Wilson
aged 77
death 28th November 1947
16 Plien Street,
district Parow
Bellville
Cape Province
South Africa

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 January 18 12:27 GMT (UK) »
So your family is still missing from 1901 to 1921, when it appears Edwards wife goes out to her daughter
wife of Bernard Morrall born London 1896,
so Edward must have passed away before this time or they were seperated,
I think Elizabeth Jane does come home from South Africa under the name of Jean Morrall but I can not say for certain it is her and her husband hopefully with the little more information you have they will appear easier to find

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 January 18 12:58 GMT (UK) »
So your family is still missing from 1901 to 1921, when it appears Edwards wife goes out to her daughter
wife of Bernard Morrall born London 1896,
so Edward must have passed away before this time or they were seperated,
I think Elizabeth Jane does come home from South Africa under the name of Jean Morrall but I can not say for certain it is her and her husband hopefully with the little more information you have they will appear easier to find

Thank you Radcliff

I can narrow it down another 3 years to 1904. On ancestry Edward initiation age 33, a cycle maker was initiated into Ashington Lodge Freemasons on 24 August 1904. All these little bits fit together nicely. Im very grateful for your help