Author Topic: Ann Hubbard  (Read 1020 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Ann Hubbard
« on: Sunday 28 January 18 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Is anyone able to do a look up for a christening of Ann Hubbard in the Ashford, Kennington and Boughton Aluph areas between 1730 and 1760?

Ann married Edward Homewood in Ashford on 31 Oct 1778 and their children were all christened in Kennington. They were married by licence and at the time of the marriage Edward was 'of Wye', however no parish is stated for Ann.

Thanks in advance

Matt

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Hubbard
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 January 18 00:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt

Here is a transcript of the marriage, couple of clues

Wye, St. Gregory & Martin

Edward Homewood of this parish (Wye) and Ann Hubbard of the parish of Ashford were married by Licence on 1 Nov. 1778

Both signed.

One of the witnesses was a Hubbard, I think it's Thos. - what do you think ?

Claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 January 18 02:59 GMT (UK) »
Maybe...

Anna HUBBARD. baptised 23 May 1747, St Lawrence the Martyr, Godmersham.
father James,  mother Susanna. Register note Privately baptised 23 Mat 1747, publicly baptised 5 Jul 1747.

Godmersham is in the parish of Ashford

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 January 18 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt

Edward Homewood of this parish (Wye) and Ann Hubbard of the parish of Ashford were married by Licence on 1 Nov. 1778

Both signed.

Claire

Hi Claire

Yes that's the marriage entry. I have a copy of this in my files and I think the witness name is Thomas Hubbard. I suspect he might be Ann's brother or father.

Unfortunately the marriage licences for this period don't appear to have been published online which is a shame.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 January 18 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Maybe...

Anna HUBBARD. baptised 23 May 1747, St Lawrence the Martyr, Godmersham.
father James,  mother Susanna. Register note Privately baptised 23 Mat 1747, publicly baptised 5 Jul 1747.

Godmersham is in the parish of Ashford

Hi

Thanks for that. I had come across this christening before but wasn't sure how far Godmersham was from Ashford. I've just looked on a map of East Kent parishes and Godmersham borders Wye, which in turn borders Boughton Aluph.

Thomas was christened in Boughton Aluph and their children were born in Kennington so this does seem to fit.

Is there a place within the parish of Ashford called "Godmersham" or do you think she was christened in Godmersham and then the family moved to Ashford?

Thanks again

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 January 18 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt

Both signed.

Claire

I think I have worked out who the second witness ["Thomas Wraight"] is. It looks like he was Edward Homewood's uncle!

Edward's parents were Thomas Homewood and Mary Rogers. Mary was born in Molash in 1718 and had a sister named Catherine who was born in 1721. It looks like Catherine married Thomas Wraight in Maidstone in 1751.

A bit more investigation is needed to confirm this for certain but based on what I know about the Homewoods and Hubbards so far this does seem to make sense.

Matt

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 January 18 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt

I found a transcript of the marriage which states Thomas Wraight was 30 years old, a yeoman and of the parish of Molash. Looks like you are correct with your investigation  :)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 January 18 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt

I found a transcript of the marriage which states Thomas Wraight was 30 years old, a yeoman and of the parish of Molash. Looks like you are correct with your investigation  :)

Hi Claire

Is that the marriage of Thomas and Catherine? Can it be seen on Findmypast and Ancestry? If so I will check it out tomorrow.

I think it's good when lots of small clues seem to come together to help solve a mystery. This is one reason why I like probate records, sometimes clues can be found in the wills or administrations of in-laws as well as direct family members. Even the witnesses at marriages, and the witnesses, overseers, or executors of wills can provide leads.

It also looks like Mary's father [Thomas Rogers] left a Will. Hopefully this should confirm this all but I'm pretty sure it's right.
Matt

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 January 18 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt

I have to agree it is good when those little tiny details can prove one way or another your assumptions etc.

Yes, the transcript can be found on F M P's collection " Kent, East Kent Marriage Index 1538-1754"

Claire