Author Topic: morrell family  (Read 1172 times)

Offline thomas1879

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
morrell family
« on: Sunday 28 January 18 12:27 GMT (UK) »
try to find parents of prudence b 1924, joseph b1927 and june b1935 all morrell born in rotherham area thanks  mother lawton
hedley frost gwynn nevison hopkins

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: morrell family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 January 18 12:55 GMT (UK) »
You may have to purchase a birth certificate - there are no marriages coming up in England and Wales between Morrell and Lawton prior to 1924.  Using FreeBMD there no marriages between those surnames 1900 until 1939.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline thomas1879

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 January 18 12:57 GMT (UK) »
yes i have been having trouble finding it thanks
hedley frost gwynn nevison hopkins

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 January 18 18:26 GMT (UK) »
yes i have been having trouble finding it thanks

Me too! No sign of a marriage. I tried to find some Morrells in Rotherham on the 1939 Register and came up with Reginald E. a farmer born 15.7.1897 and Gertrude born 5.10.1899 with 2 redacted entries (presumably children born after 1915). However, I found a marriage for them on FreeBMD in March Q 1922 and Gertrude's maiden name is Thickett! So, presumably not your couple.

I would just point out what kept me puzzled for ages when researching my gt grandmother. She was born Sarah Ann France but her father died when she was a baby and mother remarried to Edwin Walker. Throughout her life, on her marriage certificate, censuses, and the birth of her 15 children, Sarah Ann drifted between calling herself France and Walker. All very frustrating! I'm not saying this is what happened with your lady but its worth considering - or had she been married before and used both her maiden name and her name from her first marriage?

Do you have any other info on these 3 children which might help us in the search?
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 January 18 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Are any of these children still alive - particularly the one born 1935?

Rootschat has a no living persons policy
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 January 18 18:35 GMT (UK) »
If "Lawton" was previously married she would have married Morrell under her previous married name.  However - children born to the second marriage would show her true maiden name
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 January 18 18:41 GMT (UK) »
If "Lawton" was previously married she would have married Morrell under her previous married name.  However - children born to the second marriage would show her true maiden name

That's all very well, CarolW, and I agree with you as far as it goes. However, the information is only as good as that which is provided and, if the lady in question gets mixed up (as my gt grandmother obviously did) then, it could be wrong and totally misleading as far as research values go.

As the marriage is proving difficult, if not impossible, to locate, it seems to need some 'lateral' thinking!
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 January 18 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Buying a copy of one of the birth certs seems to be the only safe solution

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 January 18 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi re Prudence, I think she possibly firstly married an Alec E Salmons Dec qtr 1947 Rother Valley Alec E died Jan 1964 aged 36 Rother Valley, Prudence then marries as Prudence Salmons to George H Wroe 1971 Rother Valley and dies as Prudence Wroe born 18th May 1924 died Dec qtr 1977 Rotherham.
Using that birth date surname ( Wroe Phonetic) there is a Ruidence in Wath -
 upon Dearne with a Joseph  Morrell 1888 and an odd ( ) Elizabeth? In 1939?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk