Author Topic: Frederick Prinz bankrupt 1868... what happened next?  (Read 522 times)

Offline Jamesk10

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Frederick Prinz bankrupt 1868... what happened next?
« on: Sunday 28 January 18 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Frederick Prinz is mentioned as bankrupt in The London Gazette, 26th June 1868 (issue 23393):

"Friedrich Prinz of no. 176 East Street Walworth, a baker, having been judged bankrupt... petition for adjudication of bankruptcy filed in HM Court on 22nd June 1868... is required to surrender himself to the registrar... at the first meeting of creditors to be held on 9th July at one o'clock"

Frederick is mentioned again in the 14th July 1868 edition (issue 23400):

"Frederick Prinz... having been adjudged bankrupt under a petition for adjudication on 22nd June 1868... a public sitting for the said to to pass his Final Examination and make application for discharge will be held on 7th October at twelve noon"

Searching TLG through until the end of 1868 there are no more mentions of Frederick.

I am interested to know anything more about what happened.
Keen, Prinz, Printz, Melhuish, King, Croxford, Bedding,

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick Prinz bankrupt 1868... what happened next?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 January 18 02:18 GMT (UK) »
Much as happens today, he will have received his discharge from bankruptcy and been free to carry on his business etc. 

I see from your previous post that you have followed him through the census etc after this, so I'm not quite sure what other information you are seeking?
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jamesk10

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick Prinz bankrupt 1868... what happened next?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 January 18 13:28 GMT (UK) »
I thought there might be some more information, or at least a short note later in the newspaper, something along the lines of confirming the matter was settled.

So if it was passed he would have been free to start again from scratch. You are right that I have traced him onward through the census records, he continued to work as a journeyman baker. In 1861 he was employed by John Wright and at the shop address, but on 1871 and 1881 census records he is head of household with family and the same occupation. I guess it wouldn't be possible to find out more about the work, I thought he would be treated differently if the bankruptcy was whilst employed/self-employed or running own business. Perhaps the casual employment of JB wasn't available being a probable reason for the bankruptcy (and many children to look after), he seemed to be fine after this.

Keen, Prinz, Printz, Melhuish, King, Croxford, Bedding,