Author Topic: Clog Fighting in South East Lancashire  (Read 3728 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Clog Fighting in South East Lancashire
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 14:52 GMT (UK) »
And I'm from Rochdale on the other, not so posh side of Manchester! ;)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Aah but my parents came from Harpurhey so that's nearer to Rochdale  ;) and probably would have stayed there if my mum's eldest (living) sister hadn't run off with a married man and caused a scandal.  Because of that rather than running a shop on Rochdale Road, my mum and gran "fled" to Hale in Cheshire and ran a shop there instead.  Obviously, when my parents married, dad moved in with mum and gran and we lived in a 3 bed maisonette behind the shop.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 01 February 18 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Ruslan

As a dancer you should be interested in the Britannia Coconut Dancers of Bacup in Lancashire https://www.coconutters.co.uk/history/ who dance in clogs.  I dare say there could be a bit of fighting after they have visited every pub in the area on Easter Saturday!

The sound of clogs still reminds me of the clattering noise in the early morning as millworkers made their way down the pavement to the now defunct spinning mills.  It drove our dog wild! 

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.