Author Topic: Clog Fighting in South East Lancashire  (Read 3754 times)

Offline RuslanPashayev

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Clog Fighting in South East Lancashire
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 January 18 03:37 GMT (UK) »
the thing is unfortunately google as well as many other search engines aren't helpful when it comes to getting answers. info provided on the wikipedia-likes is very generic, stereotypical and in many cases not accurate (meaning WRONG). and yeah I do think the best way to get the accurate info is to actually ask people who may have some memories or may be even were participants of any of the events. our memories is all we really own, hahaha as they say. but yeah I get it, may be its fine, I answered once of course I can answer that question again. which I did. and yeah sports history is my hobby. which sports? sounds funny, but almost any, I truly find it interesting to read about sports and sportsmen, not just of the past, which I truly enjoy, but especially of the modern times. I am a professional sportsman myself, most of my life goes either at the gym or on the dance floor. so you can imagine what it is.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 29 January 18 04:21 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I understand that there may not be much information on the internet about the more unsual sports.

Maybe you should consider writing a book or a blog so that these unusual sports are not forgotten.  :)

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 29 January 18 04:45 GMT (UK) »
Here's a sport you probably have never seen - Pelota Nacional - played in Ecuador.  The ball weighs around 12 pounds and the tablas [racquets] weigh about the same.  It's played every weekend at the park near where I live.

http://www.eltelegrafo.com.ec/noticias/quito/11/la-pelota-nacional-es-un-deporte-que-afianza-la-identidad-local
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsRmChM-8VU
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline RuslanPashayev

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 29 January 18 04:45 GMT (UK) »
book on sports???? hahahaha Oh no, I am not a writer, I am more of a reader, hahaha but yeah I am way too busy teaching to right book even on my own expertise which is ballroom, I am totally running out of time, every single day of my life, ahhahaha sometimes 24 is NOT enough, hahahaha

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 29 January 18 18:49 GMT (UK) »
book on sports???? hahahaha Oh no, I am not a writer, I am more of a reader, hahaha but yeah I am way too busy teaching to right book even on my own expertise which is ballroom, I am totally running out of time, every single day of my life, ahhahaha sometimes 24 is NOT enough, hahahaha

We are all running out of time every single day of our lives - it's a fact of life hahahaha.

Clog fighting/shin kicking/purring/wrestling/Manchester cotton industry/strong men etc etc. are all subjects in your many posts.

Perhaps if 24hrs is not enough and you are way too busy teaching - you need to prioritise your time and focus on more essential things in life.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 03:41 GMT (UK) »
Here's a sport you probably have never seen - Pelota Nacional - played in Ecuador.  The ball weighs around 12 pounds and the tablas [racquets] weigh about the same.  It's played every weekend at the park near where I live.

http://www.eltelegrafo.com.ec/noticias/quito/11/la-pelota-nacional-es-un-deporte-que-afianza-la-identidad-local
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsRmChM-8VU

I think the theme of Ruslan's sporting interests seems to be more man on man physical, so maybe this one does not fit the bill, unless the players are allowed to whack each other with those racquets.  ;D

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 05:10 GMT (UK) »
Well, there can be serious injuries.  I listened to an interview with a player who said that he once swung at a ball that bounced off a pebble at a weird angle.  He missed the ball and, because the tablas are so heavy, they have a lot of momentum and are difficult to control.  The tabla swung on around and he hit himself on the side of the head and knocked out several of his own teeth.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Out of interest you may want to put cock fighting into your research and I don't mean with real cocks, but with people crouching down, arms crossed and trying to knock each other over.  We used to do it at school (in the North of England) but I'm sure that too must have originated with men fighting too.

Oh, I remember doing that, especially at parties and socials. This was in Lancashire, Lizzie, so perhaps it was a "Northern" thing.  I always got knocked over quickly!  So embarrassing. ::)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Gillg - I went to school in Altrincham, Cheshire, before it became part of Greater Manchester  ::) so not that far from Lancashire.