Author Topic: Christiana Munro, daughter of John and Margaret. Who were they?  (Read 12164 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Christiana Munro, daughter of John and Margaret. Who were they?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 18:33 BST (UK) »
What do you know about Donald Macdonald and his family?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Munros of Ross & Cromarty
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 23:18 BST (UK) »
Previous thread asking the same question
Threads merged.

The earliest patent for a typewriter was filed in 1867. Therefore that card is not an original record, but a transcription. It does not match the detail in the handwritten record in your earlier thread so it is unreliable.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 09 August 18 00:14 BST (UK) »
Forfairian is correct.

In the last couple of days I have found a similar card for a Scottish Bounty family I am researching. It contains a number of errors, including one for a place name in Ross-shire which does not exist.

Have you looked at the original image of the shipping record? Lady McNaughton arrived in 1839 not 1838 (Christie is on page 4):
http://indexes.records.nsw.gov.au/ebook/list.aspx?Page=NRS5313/4_4780/Lady%20McNaughton_28%20Jan%201839/4_478000093.jpg&No=3

"Native place" is (only) Ross-shire.

I don't know what death certificates contain at various dates in various states, but have you checked Christies d/c in case it tells you both of her parent's names? If you knew her mother's maiden name you have a starting point to finding the parent's marriage in Scotland and possibly a lead to finding the rest of the family, baptisms etc ....

Sometimes obituaries give information about the origins of the deceased. Have you checked Trove?

Added: You might like to ask on the Australia board if the original document that the typed card was transcribed from is viewable anywhere. Perhaps on film at NSW State Archives? (I would also like to know the answer to this, so please let me know if you find out).  :)

Offline gregperth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Of Irish, English, Scottish & German.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 09 August 18 04:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your interest. On his immigration card, Donald McDonald said he was a ploughman and stockman from Dornoch, age 35, Presbyterian, Read-only. Father Charles Cameron. Mother Bell Ross. Wife was Mary. Children: Alexander, Donald, Charles, Sophie, Bell, Jane. I have been approaching Christiana from the McDonald family relationship without success. But I'm an amateur.
Smith, Munro, Perrin, Doyle, Wilkinson, Dewhurst, Hogan, Kenny, Carey, Travers, Mooney, Court, Edyvean, Hennig, Fiat, Jerome, Earle, Porter, Green, Tanton, Balls, Simpson, Mallett, Jessup, Lancaster, Paton, McMahon, Cahill, Morse, Cartwright, Wells, Hardy, Rice, Riley,

Offline gregperth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Of Irish, English, Scottish & German.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 09 August 18 04:37 BST (UK) »
Yes. I have the original record, both the typed card and handwritten one. The ship left 28 Sept 1838 (no records) and arrived 28 Jan 1839. I usually give the departure dates I'm hoping someone will have a record.

Her marriage & death certificates only list her father, John Munro. Sydney Morning Herald records are scant, only one notice (surprising, given she had eight kids). Most of the children remained in the north coast. She died in Sydney and from what I gather, alone. "On the 9th instant, at her residence, Botany, CHRISTINA, the beloved wife of EDWARD EVERSON, aged 55 years, after a long and painful illness."

As regards Bounty families. She came as part of Donald McDonald's family.
McDonald was listed on his arrival card as a ploughman and stockman, “native” of Dornoch, age 35, Presbyterian, Read-only. Father Charles Cameron. Mother Bell Ross. Wife Mary. Children: Alexander, Donald, Charles, Sophie, Bell, Jane. He settled in the Goulburn area.
Smith, Munro, Perrin, Doyle, Wilkinson, Dewhurst, Hogan, Kenny, Carey, Travers, Mooney, Court, Edyvean, Hennig, Fiat, Jerome, Earle, Porter, Green, Tanton, Balls, Simpson, Mallett, Jessup, Lancaster, Paton, McMahon, Cahill, Morse, Cartwright, Wells, Hardy, Rice, Riley,

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 09 August 18 08:38 BST (UK) »
Some of the Donald McDonald and Mary Campbell aka Cameron - Children have interesting middlenames?

Sophia Young McDonald born circa 1830

Jane Spence McDonald born about 24 May 1835 in Logie-Easter, Ross and Cromarty.

Mary Campbell aka Cameron <----- Also known as Cameron??
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 09 August 18 08:42 BST (UK) »
Mary McDonald formerly Campbell aka Cameron
Died 26 Mar 1839 in Strathaird near Goulburn, New South Wales

Could be easy to follow up death in Australia
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 09 August 18 10:34 BST (UK) »
Seceder records (presbyterian) records are not of Scotlands people are they?
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 09 August 18 10:58 BST (UK) »
Seceder records (presbyterian) records are not of Scotlands people are they?
If the records have survived, and are in the National Records of Scotland, and the church has given permission for them to be digitised, they may be in the 'Other Churches' database on SP. Otherwise no.

NB the so-called Seceders are only some of many presbyterian denominations. The Church of Scotland, whose records are the largest part of the church records on SP, is presbyterian.

However the records of the Free Churches are unlikely to be helpful with Christy Munro because most of them post-date her birth. I looked through Diane Baptie's Registers of the Secession Churches in Scotland but there are no pre-1843 registers from either Ross-shire or Sutherland listed.

When I lived in the north-west Highlands, the term 'Seceder' specifically implied the Free Presbyterian Church of Scotland, which split from the Free Church of Scotland in 1893.

There were earlier splits, some of which recombined in 1820 to form the United Secession Church and the United Original Secession Church.

There is a splendid chart showing the various splits and recombinations of the presbyterian churches in Scotland. It is online at https://www.christianstogether.net/Publisher/Article.aspx?ID=138977 - scroll well down to find it.

It does not of course include Baptists, Congregationalists, Episcopalians and Roman Catholics, and there were some other minority denominations, for example the Bereans, which arose from time to time.