Author Topic: Christiana Munro, daughter of John and Margaret. Who were they?  (Read 12361 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Munros of Ross & Cromarty
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 09 August 18 23:52 BST (UK) »
That list Ruskie found also includes a Lexia Monroe, born Rosskeen. Have you looked into her?

Possible entry for Lexia from SP:

Lexy MUNRO, father DONALD MUNRO/
22/01/1811 in Rosskeen
Ref 081/10 64

Likely sister to Bell Munro mentioned by Ruskie?

Monica

Looks very possible Monica.  :)

Generally a 24 year old single woman travelling alone did not need supervision. It is therefore likely that the McDonalds are family or close friends. If you haven't already done so, digging thoroughly into the McDonalds might give you a connection.

To answer your original question - I would start with the possibility that parents of your Christie are John Munro* and Margaret mmn Munro*. It might be worth investigating all the John Munro*s who have a wife Margaret Munro* in the right sort of area in the right time frame. However as we know mistakes happen especially when the official taking the details of the passengers has a couple of hundred to process - accuracy and nice handwriting are not a priority. :)

Offline gregperth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Of Irish, English, Scottish & German.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 10 August 18 04:45 BST (UK) »
Once again, thanks you all for your interest and assistance.
Ruskie, your theories certainly warrant more investigation. Yes, Monica, I am certain there is a family connection between Christy Munro and the McDonalds. My theory is Mary McDonald is Christy's aunt (maiden name Campbell) therefore linked to Margaret Campbell (Christy's possible mum). That's not to discount your theory Margaret Munro could have Munro as a maiden name. I will also look up this Lexy Munro. her father Donald may be John's brother, as I believe John's father was Donald.
I must also look up this Bell Munro.

Thanks goodness, the Munros are still there (the hilly ones, that is).
Smith, Munro, Perrin, Doyle, Wilkinson, Dewhurst, Hogan, Kenny, Carey, Travers, Mooney, Court, Edyvean, Hennig, Fiat, Jerome, Earle, Porter, Green, Tanton, Balls, Simpson, Mallett, Jessup, Lancaster, Paton, McMahon, Cahill, Morse, Cartwright, Wells, Hardy, Rice, Riley,

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 10 August 18 10:18 BST (UK) »
How are mothers' names listed on the immigration records of other people on 'Lady MacNaughton'?

The original for Christy doesn't specifically say that it was Margaret's maiden surname that was Munro, so you cannot discount the possibility that Monroe was only her married surname.

Bear in mind that in England, a married woman's surname does change legally, so if the clerk taking down Christy's details was of English origin, and he asked her for her father's name and occupation, and then for her mother's name, and she just answered 'Margaret', he would have added the surname automatically.

If, however, the surnames of the mothers of other unmarried female passengers on 'Lady McNaghten' were different from their fathers' surnames, it would be more reasonable to suppose that Margaret's maiden surname was indeed Munroe.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 10 August 18 10:48 BST (UK) »
Roskeen, Logie Easter and Dornoch are not all that far appart.

Christian, Christiana and Kristy can all be the same name.

I had female ancestors that were named Christian.

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 10 August 18 12:18 BST (UK) »
How are mothers' names listed on the immigration records of other people on 'Lady MacNaughton'?

Mother's maiden surnames are written on the  passenger lists, for example:
Lexia Munro "daughter of Donald Munro .... and Barbara Ross his wife"
Christy Munroe, "daughter of John Munroe .... and Margt Munroe his wife"
Bell Munroe "daughter of Donald .... and Christine McKenzie his wife"

Offline gregperth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Of Irish, English, Scottish & German.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 10 August 18 12:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Ruskie and Forfarian. I have much to look at. I had never noticed the name Lexie Munro, though had seen Bell. Will spend the weekend doing what I can. I shale mention that the family has been researched for 40 years without any result. I've only been at it for two years. There are two other people in Australia who are interested. One chap is president of a major city's genealogical society and he hasn't found anything in nine years. The other chap is in far north Queensland and been at it for seven years. I will mention there is possibly a Munro connection to the Highland Clearances. But it is folly to put this forward without proof.
Smith, Munro, Perrin, Doyle, Wilkinson, Dewhurst, Hogan, Kenny, Carey, Travers, Mooney, Court, Edyvean, Hennig, Fiat, Jerome, Earle, Porter, Green, Tanton, Balls, Simpson, Mallett, Jessup, Lancaster, Paton, McMahon, Cahill, Morse, Cartwright, Wells, Hardy, Rice, Riley,

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 10 August 18 12:51 BST (UK) »
So it is Margaret Munro married to John Munro.

I see a death of a Margaret Munro, mother's name Campbell, in Resolis in 1856, aged 62. If she was born 1793/1794 she would have been old enough to marry in 1815, so it's a possibility. Unfortunately it's 1856, so the death certificate will not name her husband. However the name of the informant might be useful.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 10 August 18 12:55 BST (UK) »
I will mention there is possibly a Munro connection to the Highland Clearances.
I would have thought that there is a definite link to the Clearances of any family emigrating from that part of the world at that time.

If, however, this is another oblique reference to the 'hint' you have already mentioned that John Munro might have been involved in the trial of Patrick Sellar, can you be more specific about this mysterious 'hint'?

But it is folly to put this forward without proof.
It's not folly to put forward a hypothesis. It's only folly to accept it as fact in the absence of proof.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 10 August 18 13:03 BST (UK) »
The passenger list says that Lexia Munro "came out with Ewan Mc Lachlan and his family."

Both Christie and Bell were said to be "a member of Donald McDonald's family."