Author Topic: Christiana Munro, daughter of John and Margaret. Who were they?  (Read 12315 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Munros of Ross & Cromarty
« Reply #99 on: Sunday 12 August 18 12:31 BST (UK) »
And as the OP is sure that he is following the EVERSON line, then I am concerned as to how to find the right bride .... it seems to me that there's a possible to the lass on the Lady McNaughton based ONLY on the matching given name for her father ... matching immigration to death cert only.  So to me the question is which Miss C Munro married Mr E Everson.   To me, it seems there was at least three eligible Miss C Munro in NSW by early 1840...

ADD  and of course, to me, I see Christy, Christie, Christiana, Christana, etc all variations of one given name ...

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Sunday 12 August 18 13:01 BST (UK) »
Mr Google Search Engine  :)

Someone has the lass per the James Moran as the one who married at Parramatta.  That contradicts my understanding of Greg's post re how he eliminated that lass.  (O'Brien marriage  :) )

This other family history buff has:
Early in 1843, Josiah married Christina Munro in the Presbyterian Church at Parramatta. Christina had come from Kincardineshire, Scotland, aboard the "James Moran" which reached Sydney Cove on 11 February 1839. The sibling relationship has not been researched, but also aboard ship from Kincardineshire were Alexander & William Munro, both Carpenters, who were assigned to Mr Henry Scope (Builder, Undertaker) at Liverpool. On 9 January 1843, the names of Josiah and the Munro men appear together in an electoral proposal list.

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Patmore-91

With such scant info on those NSW BDM Early Church Records, ... ie frequently there's NO mention of parentage or origins etc. it can be very significant to seek out the original parish registers, to check if there's margin mentions, or other similar whitespace notes from the clergy.   :) 

So I wonder how that researcher knew which lass was which  ::) 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Sunday 12 August 18 13:28 BST (UK) »
Yes. I have the original record, both the typed card and handwritten one. The ship left 28 Sept 1838 (no records) and arrived 28 Jan 1839. I usually give the departure dates I'm hoping someone will have a record.

Her marriage & death certificates only list her father, John Munro. Sydney Morning Herald records are scant, only one notice (surprising, given she had eight kids). Most of the children remained in the north coast. She died in Sydney and from what I gather, alone. "On the 9th instant, at her residence, Botany, CHRISTINA, the beloved wife of EDWARD EVERSON, aged 55 years, after a long and painful illness."

As regards Bounty families. She came as part of Donald McDonald's family.
McDonald was listed on his arrival card as a ploughman and stockman, “native” of Dornoch, age 35, Presbyterian, Read-only. Father Charles Cameron. Mother Bell Ross. Wife Mary. Children: Alexander, Donald, Charles, Sophie, Bell, Jane. He settled in the Goulburn area.

Hi Greg,

I am becoming confuddled .... in the above post you have
 :) her father being named on her marriage cert... 
 :) her dying alone in Sydney ...
 :) her children remaining on the north coast (of NSW) ...
 and I am unable to confirm those aspects, rather I seem to contradict them  ::)

I have two more questions...

:) apart from the Immigration Card, where else do you find any information about the parents of Miss Christina (and variations) MUNRO (and variations) .. she is obviously not the informant on her d.c.

:) Over the years of your researching this lass, have you followed up on the HP Dutton Esq....

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Monday 13 August 18 07:39 BST (UK) »
I have followed up on the Manning River aspects.  Yes, I realised these are NOT related to your Isabella S CASSIDY, daughter of Edward and Christina EVERSON...   

I am suggesting there's several Edward EVERSON chaps in the right era in NSW ...

Re the EVERSON family on the North Coast,  I cannot see any connection to the Edward EVERSON who married Christiana MUNRO in 1840.

NSW ER 1878, THE HASTINGS  (this includes the Manning River District)
Edred EVERSON, leasehold, Kalateenee
Edred EVERSON, senior, freehold, Summer Island
Edred EVERSON, junior, freehold, Kinchela Island

NSW ER 1870, THE HASTINGS
Edward EVERSON, Summer Island, freehold
Edward EVERSON, junior, Summer Island, leasehold, Macleay River.
Edred EVERSON, Callitini, leasehold  (JM notes if you say aloud ‘Callitini’ and ‘Kalateenee’ … very little difference, and of course these rolls were prepared on verbal information provided to the police appointed by the police magistrates)

GREVILLES PO Directory 1875 – SUMMER ISLAND
Edward EVERSON, farmer
Ed EVERSON, jun, farmer, Kinshela Creek

And from NSW Archives, and the BDA and the mariners websites:
Edred EVERSON aged 29 years arrived NSW per Parsee in 1859.
http://marinersandships.com.au/1859/09/018par.htm 
Also on same voyage:
Eliza, infant
Robert, 2
Sarah 26.

Edward EVERSON aged 40 years arrived NSW per Rose of Sharon in 1855
http://marinersandships.com.au/1855/04/049ros.htm
Also on same voyage
Edward aged 7,
Mary aged 39
John aged 20

So I can see the dilemma your Canberra based contact faced.    To me, I continue to suggest seeking out the original parish registers, and noting even the smallest detail, particularly in the 'margins' or in the 'white space'  where you would not likely expect there to be any writing at all.

JM

ADD BDA https://www.bda-online.org.au/  this is a fairly new online resource, and is an ongoing project.  You can search the indexes for free.  There is a nominal subscription (annual around $30)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Christiana Munro & Edward Everson, Wollombi NSW
« Reply #103 on: Monday 13 August 18 07:57 BST (UK) »
Threads merged.

Although I haven't contributed or done any research on this family, I really don't understand the need for a separate thread/topic as it could have continued on the original, save confusion & double trouble i.e. duplication of effort  ???

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Monday 13 August 18 08:07 BST (UK) »
 :)  yes,  I agree. 

I have continued to post on the Scotland R & C board, even though the info I am currently working through is NSW, but perhaps once we have found the right Miss MUNRO for the mother of Isabella EVERSON it can all be merged and popped on one board.   

Our OP is fairly new to RChat, and so perhaps has not yet become familiar with all the various aspects of this wonderful website.  :)

It is almost evening here.  :)

JM  :)

Offline gregperth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Of Irish, English, Scottish & German.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Monday 13 August 18 08:21 BST (UK) »
Yes, that's correct. I have only used this site once previously and mistakenly added the same information. So apologies. If someone's experts enough, by all means combine them, please. As for the parish. Well I'm in Perth so lack some of the "local" knowledge. However, the Wollombi Church put me straight, as well.
Smith, Munro, Perrin, Doyle, Wilkinson, Dewhurst, Hogan, Kenny, Carey, Travers, Mooney, Court, Edyvean, Hennig, Fiat, Jerome, Earle, Porter, Green, Tanton, Balls, Simpson, Mallett, Jessup, Lancaster, Paton, McMahon, Cahill, Morse, Cartwright, Wells, Hardy, Rice, Riley,

Offline gregperth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Christiana Munro, daughter of John and Margaret. Who were they?
« Reply #106 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 09:10 BST (UK) »
The Anglican Parish Office in Singleton (Whittingham is now a suburb) advises that registers prior to 1856 do not exist. Perhaps destroyed or never done.
The long list of Eversons mentioned are not "mine".
There were two books written about the Eversons.
1. The Everson families: a family history and genealogical record of the Everson families from the lower Macleay River districts / compiled by Phillip Everson.
2. The Everson story / compiled by Dot McDonald.
Neither of these books deal with my line, emanating from Edward Everson & Christy Munro.
Smith, Munro, Perrin, Doyle, Wilkinson, Dewhurst, Hogan, Kenny, Carey, Travers, Mooney, Court, Edyvean, Hennig, Fiat, Jerome, Earle, Porter, Green, Tanton, Balls, Simpson, Mallett, Jessup, Lancaster, Paton, McMahon, Cahill, Morse, Cartwright, Wells, Hardy, Rice, Riley,

Offline gregperth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Christiana Munro, daughter of John and Margaret. Who were they?
« Reply #107 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 09:17 BST (UK) »
Re Donald McDonald link to Christy Munro. I'm just putting this here for the record and for others' information. It is input from a MacDonald family researcher in FN Queensland:
----------
Many researchers over the last 40 years, both family (those related to) and professional, have research this specific Donald McDonald family who arrived on Lady McNaughton in Australia. I myself for the last 8 years as they were my ancestors.

Without specific permission from other researchers to indulge their research and findings, I will address the below from the ‘general’ point of view:

1.       Apart from the Immigration Papers, indicating that Donald was the son of Alexander McDonald, and his mother being stated as Bell Cameron, no other primary or supporting evidence has ever been found to support this claim that I am aware of to date.

2.       General belief is that until proven otherwise, the below link is generally accepted by the majority as correct.  Refer to below link:

http://www.clan-cameron.org.au/getperson.php?personID=I86444&tree=cameron1

3.       However, in regards to 2., I am aware that there is at least two researchers of differing beliefs, who believe otherwise, and that these researchers are family researchers who’s ancestor was Donald McDonald.

4.       To date, as far as I am aware, no birth/baptism has been found for Donald McDonald, nor any marriage certificate that has been proven to be correct beyond reasonable doubt.

5.       It is generally accepted by the majority that Donald’s wife, Mary, was born of parents Charles Campbell and Isobel Ross in 1795 Fearn Parish, Ross Shire.

6.       While the ancestry of Charles Campbell (Mary’s father) is generally accepted by all it appears to date; the ancestry of Mary’s mother, Isobel (Bell) Ross is in question.  I am aware that there is at least 3 conflicting beliefs held by researchers as to who her correct parents were.

7.       To date as far as I am aware, no one has put forward any firm claim for the reason why Mary Campbell was listed on the immigration papers as being born to parents Charles Cameron and Bell Ross.

8.       Over the years that I have investigated the two Munro girls, “A member of Donald McDonald family”, although I have my beliefs and views on their ancestry, I have failed to find ‘primary’ evidence to support my views and beliefs.  Without primary evidence, I am not prepared to state my beliefs as to their ancestry.

9.       Due to the complexity of Scottish Ancestry, regarding all aspects that include naming patterns, interchangeable names both first and surname, clans, septs, and alias that were in use in Scotland in the time period that concerns us, it is too rash to make public any deductions, conclusions or statements unless primary evidence can be produce along with its supporting evidence to support the claim.

10.   As proven years later when census were conducted, there were many who did not appear in the birth/baptism/marriage registers in Scotland.

11.   It has been found by myself that on some of the Immigration Papers, that when stated “A native of Dornoch”, could mean that the person was born in the Dornoch/Tain/Fearn/Logie Easter or surrounding areas.  It does not exclusively mean that the person was born in Dornoch or its immediate surrounds.

12.   The area of interest, being Fearn/Tain/RossKeen/Logie Easter areas, did contain a vast amount of those with the surname of Munro and Ross, being their home lands of origin, probably higher in number per kilometre than anywhere else in Scotland.  This, along with the fact that most of the families within these areas named their children similarly, such as Donald, John, Mary, Margaret, Alexander, Christian, etc, makes researching a little more of a challenge than usual.