Author Topic: Christiana Munro, daughter of John and Margaret. Who were they?  (Read 12320 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Christiana Munro, daughter of John and Margaret. Who were they?
« Reply #117 on: Thursday 16 August 18 05:37 BST (UK) »
Well done to all helping on this quest but...

JM, you never fail to amaze me with your knowledge of sources/resources downunder just as Monica does here in Scotland & elsewhere...a good team indeed!  ;)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Thursday 16 August 18 06:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you Annie,   I do my best.  I have been interested in family history since childhood, so back in the 1950s when children were seen and not heard.  Among my then living ancestors were various relatives who were very involved in family history.   All four of my grandparents were born in NSW in the 19th century, and among their parents were two chaps who were with the NSW Registrar General's Office, which in 1856 dealt not just with the establishment of a civil bdm registration process but also with Deeds, including Land Titles.   These chaps were NSW born too, and were particular with their paperwork trails.  And their family history records were gifted to me in 1960s. 

So long before the internet I was aware of the need to be 'pedantic'when seeking out NSW records. 

I am most fortunate, as I have been able to continue family history studies as my past-time for decades, and it is all so very NSW centric.  One of my lines goes back to 1790s, 'came free'ancestors ... see the flag that RChatter xinia made to flutter for me in my avatar.   Another line or more are convicts arriving 1800s and 1810s ... others came free as part of garrison forces - regiments of foot,  others came free for appointments in Col Secretarys and Col Treasurers offices.  Most were here in NSW before convictism effectively ceased in 1840.  Some though took their time and arrived with gold fever.  Some came via New Zealand ... and some 'swam' all the way from Ireland, and two swam from landlocked Switzerland in 1850s ...

But along the way, the descendants of these assorted families include living retired C of E clergy, living retired NSW Archivist, living retired NSW BDM senior officers, and various other public servants .... the eldest sons all ended up ón the land, far western land division and western land division of NSW ...but the other sons and daughters ended up as employees.  And, so over the years these families have all shared their private family papers with me, I have learnt conversing skills, I have continued with my great grandparents practices of lodging with the Mitchell Library (as in Sydney, not the Scottish one) and I continue to practice my family history skills (after retiring from various local family history groups) via RChat.   :)  I find most RChatters to be friendly, courteous and interested in my posts, although sadly, sometimes I think there's the odd RChatter who skim reads my posts and seeks to discredit the info I post without actually pausing to take the time to analyse the post. 

I am sure that Greg appreciates the info I am posting, and I hope we can figure out which Miss C Munro married his ancestor in 1840.   I think we may need to eliminate all the other Miss C Munro lasses before we can be confident of which one is his.  :) 

Thanks Annie  :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline gregperth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Of Irish, English, Scottish & German.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Thursday 16 August 18 06:10 BST (UK) »
I sure do appreciate it. Now can you please just s-l-o-w down because I will need weeks to sift through everything you have posted. :) Unfortunately, I'm in Perth, and all my heritage is in NSW and I have many dead ends (including a low-life criminal on the Smith side and a GG grandmother who was found guilty of manslaughter of a child and had two more children in Dungog (to an unknown person) after she was released (one the kids was my great grandfather).
Smith, Munro, Perrin, Doyle, Wilkinson, Dewhurst, Hogan, Kenny, Carey, Travers, Mooney, Court, Edyvean, Hennig, Fiat, Jerome, Earle, Porter, Green, Tanton, Balls, Simpson, Mallett, Jessup, Lancaster, Paton, McMahon, Cahill, Morse, Cartwright, Wells, Hardy, Rice, Riley,

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Thursday 16 August 18 06:15 BST (UK) »
Of course.   :)  but do contact the Perth library for access to the ARK kit ...  :)

Add,hopefully it will be handwritten m.c. with original signatures for groom, witnesses, and her x mark.   Remember to check the Immigration papers re Read/White.   :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Thursday 16 August 18 06:44 BST (UK) »
I sure do appreciate it. Now can you please just s-l-o-w down because I will need weeks to sift through everything you have posted. :) Unfortunately, I'm in Perth, and all my heritage is in NSW and I have many dead ends (including a low-life criminal on the Smith side and a GG grandmother who was found guilty of manslaughter of a child and had two more children in Dungog (to an unknown person) after she was released (one the kids was my great grandfather).

JM...!!!  ;D  ;D

At your age ??? you too should be slowing down but when you get started you're like an out of control Bobsleigh  ::)

Your insistence/perseverance in finding info. is remarkable!!!
I'm sure JM, you were employed by the KGB at some time i.e. old habits die hard.... :D

Greg, I'm sure you'll need a fair time to go through everything as JM misses nothing although to our advantage, thankfully  ;)

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Thursday 16 August 18 06:50 BST (UK) »
Right, slowing down now... https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTCY-894  and see the flickr images, for a marriage for a lass by surname EVERSON, in December 1840 .... now look at attached image, and notice the clergy has given name of ship of arrival and status (came free) for the groom, and that the bride was born in the colony ! 

That's what I am hoping you will find on the image for YOUR 1840 marriage.

JM

Offline gregperth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Thursday 30 August 18 04:29 BST (UK) »
Update. My email two weeks ago to the Uni of Newcastle went unanswered because it was in a junk folder. Only found that out when I called today (but the phone didn't answer, because it was out of order). Eventually got through to a very helpful archivist. Now they will have a look at the marriage. Off to State Library to view this ARK kit.
Smith, Munro, Perrin, Doyle, Wilkinson, Dewhurst, Hogan, Kenny, Carey, Travers, Mooney, Court, Edyvean, Hennig, Fiat, Jerome, Earle, Porter, Green, Tanton, Balls, Simpson, Mallett, Jessup, Lancaster, Paton, McMahon, Cahill, Morse, Cartwright, Wells, Hardy, Rice, Riley,

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Thursday 30 August 18 04:50 BST (UK) »
fingers crossed that junk folder experience is the last of the adverse ones for your quest.  Archivists are always happy to help expand our knowledge of their holdings...   :)

JM

Offline gregperth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Thursday 30 August 18 07:44 BST (UK) »
From the Uni of Newcastle:
"I have examined the Parish Register of the Parish of Singleton (former name Whittingham), and have found the original entry for the marriage of Edward Everson and Christiana Munro (original in every sense, for the information held in Sydney is just a copy of the original register held here). Unfortunately, the information in the Register is exactly the same as that which you have from Sydney, with nothing beyond what is given on the Marriage Certificate which you sent us. Theirs was the first marriage conducted at Whittingham by Rev. R.T. Bolton, the parish itself having been created only in the previous year. Their number in the Register is 1. e're told, services were held in a house in Hunter St, Singleton, rented from Mr Henry Dangar of Neotsfield."

Of course, that assuming I have the right Christiana Munro. I took my lead from a chap who is the president of a genealogical society and related to Christy (and matched to me via DNA). He'd done nine years' research and not produced anything more.

The presence of other Christiana Munros (pointed out by you good people) now causes me to just say: "oh what the heck, just be happy you've got a Scottish connection".