Author Topic: FREE BEER. Lookup request: James Thomas Smith  (Read 1658 times)

Offline gregperth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Of Irish, English, Scottish & German.
    • View Profile
FREE BEER. Lookup request: James Thomas Smith
« on: Monday 29 January 18 04:33 GMT (UK) »
James Thomas Smith, my second great grandfather, claims (on his 1876) marriage certificate (to a Mary O'Connor) to have been born abt. 1852 in Jersey (parents Joseph and Catherine). I can not find him. Maybe it was actually Guernsey. Either way he's a scallywag. He said he was a mariner and his address was "all around Australia". Many thanks to anyone who finds anything. So important, as it's my direct paternal line and I'm stumped. FREE beer to anyone with result and visits Perth :)
Greg Smith
Perth, Australia
Smith, Munro, Perrin, Doyle, Wilkinson, Dewhurst, Hogan, Kenny, Carey, Travers, Mooney, Court, Edyvean, Hennig, Fiat, Jerome, Earle, Porter, Green, Tanton, Balls, Simpson, Mallett, Jessup, Lancaster, Paton, McMahon, Cahill, Morse, Cartwright, Wells, Hardy, Rice, Riley,

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: FREE BEER. Lookup request: James Thomas Smith
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 January 18 09:10 GMT (UK) »
How about turning it around? There is a Thomas James Smith born in St Clement around that time. I'll have a look at the birth certificate and see who the parents were.

Stewart

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 January 18 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Well, forget that idea!!

Do you happen to have a death for JTS ?

In the 1861 Jersey census, there is a James Smith aged 17 living with Joseph Smith. James is a mariner and Joseph a butcher and is a widow. Unfortunately they give their place of birth as England and it would also move James's year of birth.

The reason I ask for a death of JTS is because there is a tree lodged on Ancestry that gives their place of birth as Hackney, and that he dies in Christchurch NZ.

Now clutching at straws!!

Stewart

Offline gregperth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 February 18 04:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Stewart. Your efforts are worth a beer :). I had actually gone down all those paths, except the christchurch tree. No death date (or clue). And you can imagine all the James Smith who died in Sydney between the average dates deaths. I think there was 18 pages. Unfortunately, the name Smith is a nuisance. :) Regards, Greg.
Smith, Munro, Perrin, Doyle, Wilkinson, Dewhurst, Hogan, Kenny, Carey, Travers, Mooney, Court, Edyvean, Hennig, Fiat, Jerome, Earle, Porter, Green, Tanton, Balls, Simpson, Mallett, Jessup, Lancaster, Paton, McMahon, Cahill, Morse, Cartwright, Wells, Hardy, Rice, Riley,

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 February 18 04:35 GMT (UK) »
What was his mother's maiden surname, or didn't he know?  Do you have any of the children's birth certs?  Does his place of birth stay the same?  Was he still working as a mariner?

Debra  :)

Offline gregperth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 February 18 05:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Debra
Thanks for your reply.
I don't have any of his children's birth certificate. However, they are Jospeh Henry James Smith (1876) and Mary Catherine (1878). It's possible there is also a James Smith, another un-named male and an unnamed female.
Not sure what you mean about his birthplace changing. He just states on his marriage certificate Jersey (UK). Impossible to tell when or where he died, as there are so many James Smiths that died in Sydney (in any given year). I have an idea he and his wife Mary split, as the children were sent to homes, leading to a life of crime for their son, Joseph. I tried tracking down records from the institutions but I need to be in Sydney to do that.
Regards,
Greg