Author Topic: Jane DAVIS (?) c1881, Leith  (Read 994 times)

Offline fionajka

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jane DAVIS (?) c1881, Leith
« on: Monday 29 January 18 04:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I think I have exhausted all the avenues available to me in finding this young lady.
I have her listed with her family on the 1891 Scotland census living at 14 Coburg Street, North Leith. It states that she is the daughter of Joseph and Agnes DAVIS, a scholar, aged 10 years and born in N. Leith also (c.1881).

The issue that I'm having is that there are no records of a birth for a Jane DAVIS from 1870 - 1890 in Leith to those parents. Neither have I been able to locate her in any another census with her parents or siblings other than 1891. I am unable to locate a death or marriage record either.

So with those limitations, I began wondering if her name was actually DAVIS at her birth.
Her mother is Agnes DAVIDSON, daughter of William (a seaman) and Agnes.

Agnes DAVIDSON is located on the 1871 Scotland census at 21 Broad Wynd St, South Leith, and the 1881 Scotland census at 15 Old Church Street, North Leith. Although I believe this record has been mistranscribed as it shows Agnes as the daughter of the head of the household, who was, in fact, James WIGHT and wife Isabella. Though another Agnes DAVIDSON was also listed above her as the wife of a Seaman (currently at sea).

This census record shows Agnes DAVIDSON as unmarried (though may have been pregnant at the time with Jane - but that's pure speculation).

Agnes DAVIDSON had a child - William DAVIS in Nov 1882 and was married to Joseph DAVIS (Riveter) in Dec of that year. In the 1885/86 Valuation Rolls, she and Joseph are still living at 15 Old Church Street, N. Leith, as is her father William DAVIDSON (Seaman).

Son William is also in the 1891 census with parents Joseph and Agnes and Jane and is aged 8 years, along with other siblings Joseph (6), Mary (4), and Agnes (2). All born in N Leith and all birth records located.

Interestingly, I am unable to locate Joseph DAVIS (b. 1859, Ireland) in the 1881 census to check whether he was in Leith during that time to confirm or deny if he is the father of Jane or not. He has siblings in Govan at the time - John, James, and Hall all living together with others also in Govan.

So any ideas from any super sleuths out there??   ;D

In anticipation,
Fiona

Offline merryhow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Jane DAVIS (?) c1881, Leith
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 January 18 21:26 GMT (UK) »

Hi Fiona, Jane's birth listed as Davidson, 1881 South Leith SP index. Parents marriage showing North Leith 1883 also SP index

Offline merryhow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 00:30 GMT (UK) »

Fiona, don't know if you have this or not, SP index, Agnes Davis other name Davidson died Govan
1911 aged 50yrs. I know the age is a couple of years out but there is also a Joseph about the correct age in Govan at that time.  I think a look at Jane Davidson's Leith BC and 1911 census for Govan are required.

Offline fionajka

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 05:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
The SP index has a number of Jane Davis' in Leith and some Jane Davidson's - none of them are to the correct parents for me - the parents of the one you mention are David Davidson and Janet Veitch m 1861.

For anyone else searching for a similar name, there are other parents for Jane DAVIS (variation of names used - DAVIS / DAVIE / DAVEY/ DAVIDSON/ LAVIS) b. 1875-1885 in Midlothian & Lanarkshire:
Thomas Davidson & Matilda Rutherford
George Davidson & Elizabeth Johnston
James Davie & Mary Greenan (?)
William Davies & Ellen Innes
William Davis & Deborah Russell
Robert Davis & Janet Wilson
Robert Davis & Janet Harvey
James Davis & Eliza Jane McCready (Joseph's brother)
Thomas Davis & Marion McPhie (Joseph's brother)
Archibald Davis & Catherine Lyons
James Davis & Janet Boyd
William Davis & Selina Cooke
James Lavis & Elizabeth Stirling

As for the death you mention in Govan., it is indeed Agnes Davis (DAVIDSON), d. 1911, and yes Joseph also died in Govan, 1915

The 1911 census shows a number of children, but Jane b. c 1881, is not one of them - though another daughter, 'Jeannie' (born Jane, 1897, Govan) is. Which leads me to believe that the earlier Jane on the 1891 census has passed away. But still no evidence of birth or death for either Jane DAVIS or DAVIDSON  between 1875 - 1885 as yet.

Thanks for looking into it though

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 10:12 GMT (UK) »
But still no evidence of birth or death for either Jane DAVIS or DAVIDSON  between 1875 - 1885 as yet.
Merryhow has told you that there is a birth of Jane Davidson in South Leith in 1881. Have you looked at that birth certificate?

You know that Agnes was still unmarried in 1881. Therefore the birth will be registered as Davidson. If Joseph accompanied Agnes to the registration office when she went to register the birth, and signed the register, the birth would also be registered as Davis, but not otherwise. So forget about looking for a birth certificate of a Jane Davis. Look for Jane Davidson.

I take it that you have checked all variants, for example Jean for Jane, and Davies, Davieson, Davison etc etc for the surname?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 12:30 GMT (UK) »
The Jane Davidson birth 1881 Leith is - as fionajka stated in her last post - not the right one (is the dau. of a David Davidson and Janet Veitch).

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fionajka

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you ladies for continuing to ponder on this - and the answer to all of the questions are, yes - all name variants have been explored for both Davis and Davidson, Jane / Jean ect. which is why this is so baffling to me