Author Topic: Robert Britton, Gloucester  (Read 2460 times)

Offline LibbyW

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hannah Louise Robins 1877-1946
    • View Profile
Robert Britton, Gloucester
« on: Monday 29 January 18 08:22 GMT (UK) »
I have Robert on 2 marriage certificates as father of the groom (Samuel Britton) in 1840 and again in 1848.
I found him on Samuel's Christening :   23 Jul 1815
Event Place:   Hanham Abbots, St George, Gloucestershire, England
Father's Name:   Robert Britten
Mother's Name:   Nancy

So I know he married a Nancy/Elizabeth again no joy.
I can find no other info on him, I have searched for him on 1841 census and 1851.

If his son was born 1815, I have assumed he was at least 20 when he married, but have also allowed for the fact that Samuel could also be his youngest so gone back a further 20 years.

Any help gratefully received, thanks in anticipation x
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Perry:- Middlesex, Hertford, Essex.  Britton:- Middlesex, London, Gloucester.  Murray:- Lancashire.  Lee:- Liverpool.  Bennison:- Cumberland, Yorkshire? Robins:- Liverpool, London, Devon.  Procter:- Liverpool. Westhead :- Liverpool. Norman :- Essex, Suffolk. Kitchener:- Bedford, Middlesex. Marriage:- Middlesex. Chopping:- Hertford.

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Britton, Gloucester
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 January 18 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Marriage
4 february 1802 Bitton St Mary Robert Britten/Nancy Lacy

I have found the following baptisms with some of the children being baptised twice, both C of E and Nonconformist

Morris  baptised Bitton 1803 aged 2
Harry  baptised Bitton 1803 aged 2
Elizabeth born 1804 baptised Bitton 1805
Ruth Baptised Bitton 1808, baptised Kingswood School (Weslyan) 1808, born 1808 baptised Bitton 1812
James baptised Bitton 1810, baptised Bitton 1812 as James Lacey aged 2 (same date as sister Ruth)
Robert baptised Bitton 1812 aged 4 mths, 5 months after Ruth and James
Samuel baptised Hanham Abbots 1815
Ann baptised Bitton 1818, baptised Kingswood School 1818
Elizabeth baptised Bitton 1820, baptised Kingswood School 1820
Mary baptised Bitton 1823, baptised Kingswood School 1823

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline LibbyW

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 January 18 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Well there you go, I obviously can't search for toffee!

They are all looking good except Ann whose mothers name is also Ann not Nancy.

Ruth & James where christened on the same day.

emeltom, may I ask where you found the baptisms for Morris, Harry, Mary from please. I would if possible like to find out more.
Maybe now I can find them on the 1841 census.

Your help is much appreciated

Perry:- Middlesex, Hertford, Essex.  Britton:- Middlesex, London, Gloucester.  Murray:- Lancashire.  Lee:- Liverpool.  Bennison:- Cumberland, Yorkshire? Robins:- Liverpool, London, Devon.  Procter:- Liverpool. Westhead :- Liverpool. Norman :- Essex, Suffolk. Kitchener:- Bedford, Middlesex. Marriage:- Middlesex. Chopping:- Hertford.

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 January 18 12:33 GMT (UK) »
My help might not be appreciated when I tell you what else I have found.

First of all I can find two baptisms which fit for Robert, both in Bitton.
Robert baptised 1778 parents Solomon and Sarah
Robert baptised 1783 parents Morris and Susanna.

There is a Robert Britten who married a Jane Bryant in Bitton 1799 and they had a son Solomon in 1804 so I'd guess that that particular Robert was the son of Solomon and Sarah and that your Robert born 1783 is the son of Morris and Susannah.

The unfortunate part is that there is another Robert Britten marriage in Bitton, this time in 1798 to a Nancy Bryant. I cannot find a death for a Nancy wife of Robert so it is possible that there were two Robert and Nancys having children in Bitton at the same time. Not sure how you work out which child belongs to which couple apart from the one baptised James Lacey as that was the name of Nacy Lacy's father. She was baptised Bitton 1781 parents James and Betty. However if your Robert is the one born 1783 then he would only have been 15 at the time of the marriage to Nancy Bryant .

Worth pointing out that Robert and Nancy Lacy married 1802 and Morris and Harry were both baptised on 16 Jan 1803 both aged 2 so born 1801 before the marriage.

Some of the baptisms are on the Bristol Baptism Index and the others on familysearch.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline LibbyW

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 January 18 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Oh my goodness, what a pain!
No wonder I can't find them on the 1841 census. How do you narrow it down or is it 'best guess'?

Offline LibbyW

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 January 18 15:01 GMT (UK) »
I have just found the marriage of James Lacey Britton in 1839, father is Robert Britton, so there is a chance I might find him on the 1841 census,  will keep you posted!

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 January 18 15:26 GMT (UK) »
The Bristol and Avon FHS have details of burials in Bitton. I have found the following

Susanna Britten buried 1830 age 70 (yob 1760) This fits for having a child in 1783.

Robert Britten buried 21 March 1841 aged 61 (yob 1780)

Nancy Britton buried 20 February 1848 aged 67 (yob 1781) This fits with the 1781 baptism I found for Nancy Lacy.

Robert unfortunately died before the 1841 Census but I have found one entry which may possibly be Nancy masquerading as Ann

HO107/361/17/F9/p14

Near Queen's Head, Bitton

Ann Britton 55
Ann Britton 20
Elizabeth Britton 20
Mary Britton 15
All born in County.

I know the ages are a bit out but I've never found a 1841 Census entry where they are correct.

Also

Morris Britten married Susanna Willis in Bitton 7 July 1778

Emeltom

Offline LibbyW

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 January 18 16:37 GMT (UK) »
I am not so certain about the burial of Robert Britton, as his son Samuel married twice once in 1840 and again in 1848 and he is on both certificates occupation of Stonecutter in 1840 and Quarryman in 1848.
Sometimes I get so confused, I have tried to find him on the 1841 census but with no luck... so far!