Author Topic: Abbreviations in North Ireland records  (Read 1705 times)

Offline MarilynL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Abbreviations in North Ireland records
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 06:19 GMT (UK) »
Everything is in Tamlaght Finlagan in Co Derry where Carrowreagh and Carrowclare adjoin.

Offline MarilynL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 26 February 18 03:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello, on this same topic I have come across a new word on VAL/12/B/31/20B   for 1864-1880 - the Valuation Revision of 1864-1880 for Carrowreagh in Tamlaght Finlagan in Co Derry.

It is Teag and is in brackets after a William Moore likely the same who had Ned after his name in Griffiths in 1858 and Revisions to 1860-63.

Would anyone know what Teag means?

I have been checking Williams in Carrowreagh and Carrowclare in 1858 and the one with (Ned) after his name is crossed out in the 1864-1880 Revisions, including for a William in Carrowclare who didn't have (Ned). This seems to pinpoint a William who had land in both townlands and died 1864-1880, but as there were 2 different Williams in Carrowreagh one had (Ned) to differentiate him.

But by above 1864-80 he was shown as Reps William Moore (Teag). Beside one of these 4 or 5 entries someone has written Ned in faint writing.

Another William isn't crossed out til the Revision of 1883-98 and is likely the William JR of Carrowreagh of a Will of 1874/died 1883 - I am trying to ascertain if Ned and JR are father and son.

I also found a list of Landowners in Ireland, 1876 - Derry which has a Moore, William Teag on it (perhaps indicating Ned was still alive 1876 and died by 1880).

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 26 February 18 20:11 GMT (UK) »
See here for explanation of agnomen in Griffith's Valuation-
https://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/Richard-Griffiths.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline MarilynL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 06:37 GMT (UK) »
Aghadowey, thankyou for your help. I had read about the agnomens in Griffiths and that helped me with my earlier query about William  Moore (Ned). It looks like a genealogical clue - his father or grandfather is probably an Edward, or in 1858 he had the land of an Edward from 1826.

But Teag is a new one and I can't figure out what the specific word means - I have googled and can't find anything Irish or legal. There is no townland called Teag but one called Balteagh SE of Limavady. I can't understand what it might be an abbreviation of. Some other townlands end in teagh so it is Irish for something (draigh?).

Teag appears as "Reps William Moore (Teag)"  in a Revision for Carrowreagh in Tamlaght Finlagan for 1864-80 and not in 1858 Griffiths, and beside the name of  the man who was probably William Moore (Ned) in 1858 as they are both deceased in the same time frame. And someone else has written Ned below Teag. He was on a Lot 12 which was created in 1862 from Lots 1B and 2B and adjacent to Lots 10.11. of William Moore (Ned). Related Moores had most of Carrowreagh.

I am trying to find out if Teag is a legal word, or a nickname as Ned is for Edward, or an Irish word or something else.