Author Topic: Searching for John and Hannah (Hodgson) Tate from Selby  (Read 792 times)

Offline RSGrosse

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching for John and Hannah (Hodgson) Tate from Selby
« on: Monday 29 January 18 10:24 GMT (UK) »
I am still searching for information regarding the other children of John Tate (b.1769) and his wife, Hannah Hodgson (b. 1771) from Selby. I descend through their son, William (b. 1795) and his wife, Mary Gibson (b. 1796).  I would like to find information about any of William's other siblings.  Any information is appreciated.  I don't pay money to FindMyPast or Ancestry, so they aren't helpful, and I cannot find anything via FamilySearch.  Any assistance is appreciated.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for John and Hannah (Hodgson) Tate from Selby
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 January 18 11:49 GMT (UK) »
William appears to be the only one in Selby, however if the family moved to Pontefract you will find Mary 1797, Hannah 1800 & John 1802. Their OPR baptisms are on An…….try, they were recorded at both Knottingley, St Botolph, Yorkshire & Pontefract, St Giles and St Mary, Yorkshire.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline RSGrosse

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 January 18 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.  I did find information about Pontefract; however, I wasn't sure how close that would have been to Selby.  Would Pontefract have been a small village compared to Selby?  I'm trying to understand why they would have moved to Selby.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 January 18 12:11 GMT (UK) »
I don't know whether you have the full details of William Tate's baptism at Selby Abbey:

William, first son of John Tate of Castleforth, Waterman, son of William Tate of Molton, Bricklayer by Isabella his wife and Hannah, daughter of John Hodgson of Stanley Boat near Wakefield, Innkeeper by Bridget his wife, daughter of Thomas Ruston of Norton, Farmer.  Born 17 March, baptised 19 March 1795.

Waterman - means that John worked on the canals, and that is possibly the reason for a move from Selby to Pontefract.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline RSGrosse

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 January 18 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.  It appears that my ancestors were more mobile than I thought they might have been.