Author Topic: The Ups And Downs Of Family History Research.  (Read 687 times)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
The Ups And Downs Of Family History Research.
« on: Monday 29 January 18 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Last night I heard the very sad news of the death of my fourth cousin Kevin Michael Watkin at the premature age of 47,may he rest in peace.

This morning I had a message waiting for me on the Ancestry Website from a cousin from Australia.She told of a DNA match from relatives in Utah USA.I have to say that before her message this morning the link with her family was based on at best speculative intuition.

She is a descendant of the marriage of a Sarah Stephens and Thomas Hughes which took place at Ruabon Parrish Church Denbighshire on 17/02/1821.The Birth/Baptism of Sarah was rather sketchily recorded in the Ruabon Parish Registers as merely Sarah,daughter of Edward and Elizabeth,no Surname was given.

I have Sarah as the daughter of Edward Stephens and Elizabeth Phillips who in turn married,also at Ruabon 06/07/1789.The DNA match my cousin received was from descendants of the marriage of                                Edward's sister Elizabeth who married Joseph Dawson at Ruabon 25/01/1807.

Its great when you see confirmation of all your research like this.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Ups And Downs Of Family History Research.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 January 18 14:05 GMT (UK) »
I agree.  I have come to know many first cousins several times removed over the 10 years of doing this and one, a first cousin 5x removed, comes over to the UK and Europe from Australia once per year with hubby and they always spend a few hours with us, either on their way up or down the A1.  Other people have pointed out mistakes and kindly rectified them with links to 'proper' registration documents and my own research has, like yours "wr" been confirmed to my great satisfaction - especially when it has been hard won with months of research!

So sorry to hear that one of your cousins has died - and so young.  Sadly, it is the way of the world; yes, may he rest peacefully and may his close loved ones look back and remember with smiles.
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Ups And Downs Of Family History Research.
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 January 18 22:48 GMT (UK) »
I agree.  I have come to know many first cousins several times removed over the 10 years of doing this and one, a first cousin 5x removed, comes over to the UK and Europe from Australia once per year with hubby and they always spend a few hours with us, either on their way up or down the A1.  Other people have pointed out mistakes and kindly rectified them with links to 'proper' registration documents and my own research has, like yours "wr" been confirmed to my great satisfaction - especially when it has been hard won with months of research!

So sorry to hear that one of your cousins has died - and so young.  Sadly, it is the way of the world; yes, may he rest peacefully and may his close loved ones look back and remember with smiles.

Many thanks,especially the kind thought about my cousin.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk