Author Topic: How to search for a Private  (Read 1254 times)

Offline warpo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
How to search for a Private
« on: Tuesday 30 January 18 01:02 GMT (UK) »
Private Arthur Laughton: 13842 7th Lincolnshire Regiment.

I have searched for what seems like forever for service records but all I can find is included in the UK, WWI Service Medal and Award Rolls, 1914-1920. Document for this Private in the Roll was dated 1st July 1920 in Lichfield.

Can anyone advise me where I could go online to find his service records as I am in no position to travel to Kew?

I have full access to Ancestry and FindMyPast. Did wonder about Forces Of War, but not sure if they only provide the same documents that could be found on Ancestry or FindMyPast.

Many thanks in advance.
Hides; Wilmore; Whitney; Laughton; Lambley; Bampton; Cox; Kirk; Major; Heathorn; Bailiss

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
Re: How to search for a Private
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 01:14 GMT (UK) »
Warpo, unfortunately around 60% of World War 1 records were destroyed during the blitz in WW2, so if you can't find him on Ancestry or FindMyPast then it is most likely they no longer exist.  You need to gather what you can from the medal cards.  If he stayed in the army after 1920 then his records may still be with MOD.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline warpo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 01:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply, I read that if a soldier remained in the army after the war then they would have taken their service records with them, so as like you say, the documents would still be with the MOD. But with information from his son, he left the Army in 1920.

I've been browsing on the National Archives website, but it's a headache navigating to do even a search.
Hides; Wilmore; Whitney; Laughton; Lambley; Bampton; Cox; Kirk; Major; Heathorn; Bailiss

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 01:27 GMT (UK) »
Oh I know that feeling.  If he left in 1920 I would presume his records were lost. 

Here in Australia we can get some access to Kew through our library.  It may be worthwhile checking if you can do the same if you find something, but have to pay.  From my experience though much of what you find online is available on pay sites.  A word of warning, there have been many complaints on here about forces records.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 08:10 GMT (UK) »
According to his 1915 Star Roll he was discharged to Class Z reserves (recalled if armistice failed) 16/3/19 so unfortunately I think they are burned.
War diary will tell you his whereabouts as looked like he served throughout with 7th Batt.
Date on Rolls are for issue of campaign medals.
Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 08:43 GMT (UK) »
all I can find is included in the UK, WWI Service Medal and Award Rolls, 1914-1920

There's a medal index card for him as well which shows that he disembarked in France on 11 August 1915.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 09:41 GMT (UK) »
The guide published on the National Archives site is worth reading to reinforce what others have advised - if it ain't on the pay sites you've looked at, it ain't at Kew.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/british-army-soldiers-after-1913/

As Nanna52 has said, you can squeeze a little more out of his medal records, Ady and ShaunJ have given useful dates.  The 7th Battalion Lincolns was raised in Lincoln in September 1914 and went to France in July 1915.

To ease your frustration, the war diary is easily found as you have Ancestry.  Find the war diaries for France Belgium and Germany in the card catalogue.  Enter 2007 (which is the essential part of the NA catalogue number) in the Keyword with no other detail and the diary will appear.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline warpo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 13:25 GMT (UK) »
According to his 1915 Star Roll he was discharged to Class Z reserves (recalled if armistice failed) 16/3/19 so unfortunately I think they are burned.
War diary will tell you his whereabouts as looked like he served throughout with 7th Batt.
Date on Rolls are for issue of campaign medals.
Ady

Where would i view what you are seeing?

Offline warpo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Find the war diaries for France Belgium and Germany in the card catalogue.  Enter 2007 (which is the essential part of the NA catalogue number) in the Keyword with no other detail and the diary will appear.

MaxD

Id found the war diaries but pressumed it just relates to their movements etc. Are there specific details on the soldiers included.

On another note, that you all fot helping so far.