Author Topic: How to search for a Private  (Read 1247 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How to search for a Private
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 14:18 GMT (UK) »
No, the diaries only mention individual soldiers in the most exceptional circumstances.  Their use is indeed to follow where his battalion was and when.

He has three records to find on Ancestry.  The one you have found that you mentioned at the beginning is the roll for the British War and Victory medals for the Lincolns.  There is a similar roll under A Laughton for the 1914/1915 Star which Ady cited which gives his discharge date.  There is also his own medal card which ShaunJ cited which gives the date of his arrival in (his case) France.

To find the medal rolls  go to Military, Awards and Decorations of Honour, UK WW1 Service Medal and Award Rolls and search on Laughton (no initial) with 13842 in the keyword space, his name and both the rolls come up at the top.  Do the same under British Army WW1 Medal Rolls Index Cards, he comes up at the top.  Both the card and the roll you looked at tell us his battalion.

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline warpo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: How to search for a Private
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 February 18 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Would like to thank everybody that has tried to help me with this, I've certainly learned a little bit more.

On another note that may be relevant to this and I apologise if this should be a new thread, but has anyone had any experience with Fold 3 by Ancestry. It's claiming that there are 731 records for Arthur Laughton (obviously not all the guy im looking for) and didn't know if it is a subscription thats worth having when I already have full access to FindMyPast and Ancestry.
Hides; Wilmore; Whitney; Laughton; Lambley; Bampton; Cox; Kirk; Major; Heathorn; Bailiss