Author Topic: Grace Stewart m. 1816 @Leith  (Read 1451 times)

Offline duey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Grace Stewart m. 1816 @Leith
« on: Tuesday 30 January 18 02:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I am hoping someone can help me track down any birth information on my 3rd great grandma, Grace Stewart Chappell and/or who her mother was.

The only proof of her existence in Scotland that I have been able to find is her marriage record...

*George Chappell Royal Scots(?) and Grace Stewart, daughter of Malcolm Stewart, Printer Leith, residing foot of the Pleasance(?) gave their names for proclamation of Bannes Matrimonial.*

Grace and George made their lives in Caunton, Nottinghamshire, England.  I have found them on 4 Caunton census records every decade from 1841-1871.  The records werent recorded properly as her birth year has been listed as 1791/2,  1786 ( died in 1879, ages given was 93) &  1788/9.

I have searched scotlands people, family search, ancestry, freereg/bmd/cen.  I am starting to think perhaps Grace is her middle name, so I have tried finding her father, going only by the information that he was a printer.
I was directed to a record of a Malcolm Stewart, bookbinder, that married an Ann or Agnes Hunter, but I do not want to assume that printer and bookbinder would have been one in the same. 

I appreciate any advice on how to proceed in finding information. Thank you.

:)

Offline normamac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Grace Stewart m. 1816 @Leith
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 06:45 GMT (UK) »
Here is one for you to check
Jean Brown married Malcolm Steuart 12th June 1773  Canongate Edinburgh

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 07:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Roots Chat

What were the names of their children in order of birth and do you know the names of George's parents Some Scottish families used a traditional naming pattern in naming their children it could offer clues

Offline duey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Here is one for you to check
Jean Brown married Malcolm Steuart 12th June 1773  Canongate Edinburgh

Thank you! I have come across this marriage and a couple of others for Malcolm Stewart but I have no concrete way to connect them to my family yet  :-\

Malcolm & Jean Brown <3 Jun 12, 1773 @ Canongate, Edinburgh.  Occupation: Tailor.  4 children James 1791, Thomas 1785, Margaret 1790, Jean 1788.

Malcolm <3 Helen Ponton Nov 12, 1793 @St Cuthbert's, Edinburgh.  Occupation: Music Seller.  3 children Malcolm 1793, Agnes 1795, Neil 1798.

Malcolm & Ann/Agnes Hunter Dec 10, 1793 @ South Leith, Edinburgh.  Occuption: Bookbinder.  2 children Malcolm 1796, Agnes 1798.

...? 

I am currently sifting through 7000 records on Ancestry in their UK & US Directories 1680 - 1830 for a Malcolm that was a printer, as that was the occupation listed on Grace's marriage record.  I am not sure what else to try right now.

Offline duey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 18:53 GMT (UK) »

What were the names of their children in order of birth and do you know the names of George's parents Some Scottish families used a traditional naming pattern in naming their children it could offer clues

Hi,
 I was told George's parents were Thomas & Ann Chappell, also of Caunton.  It gets tricky here is Caunton had 4 Chappell families, of which no relation has been found yet, if they are related it was before 1745.  I know there was another Thomas and Ann Chappell that arent mine, same time period.   :o

The local family history book in Caunton for my family states that George was born in 1800/1 and that Grace was born in 1791.  However the death record states she was born in 1786.

George and Grace had 5 sons and 1 daughter all born in Caunton. Though some census records
 say John was born in Scotland.  I have found has baptism record, that event took place in Caunton.
John 1818
George 1820
Malcolm 1825
William 1830 - my gg grandfather
Timothy 1834
Emma 1835
Charles 1838

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 19:20 GMT (UK) »

Hi,
 I was told George's parents were Thomas & Ann Chappell, also of Caunton.  It gets tricky here is Caunton had 4 Chappell families, of which no relation has been found yet, if they are related it was before 1745.  I know there was another Thomas and Ann Chappell that arent mine, same time period.   :o

The local family history book in Caunton for my family states that George was born in 1800/1 and that Grace was born in 1791.  However the death record states she was born in 1786.

George and Grace had 5 sons and 1 daughter all born in Caunton. Though some census records
 say John was born in Scotland.  I have found has baptism record, that event took place in Caunton.
John 1818
George 1820
Malcolm 1825
William 1830 - my gg grandfather
Timothy 1834
Emma 1835
Charles 1838

was there more than one George and Grace in Caunton as just having a nosy on Ancestry and found baptisim for Malcolm in 1822 and a daughter Catherine in 1825 parents George and Grace

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 21:40 GMT (UK) »

I am currently sifting through 7000 records on Ancestry in their UK & US Directories 1680 - 1830 for a Malcolm that was a printer, as that was the occupation listed on Grace's marriage record.  I am not sure what else to try right now.

duey, the best place to check for directories in the National Library of Scotland site which has an amazing collection of the original Post Office Directories. The Edinburgh set here www.nls.uk/family-history/directories/post-office/index.cfm?place=Edinburgh

I have had a quick look and can't really see anything for Malcolm Stewart so far. Not everyone would show in these directories though unfortunately.

Main collection for the early years here www.nls.uk/family-history/directories/post-office

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 10:04 GMT (UK) »
I have searched scotlands people, family search, ancestry, freereg/bmd/cen.
See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0

I am starting to think perhaps Grace is her middle name
Very unlikely. Middle names were unusual in the 18th century. It's far more likely that it's a case of a missing record.

I was directed to a record of a Malcolm Stewart, bookbinder, that married an Ann or Agnes Hunter, but I do not want to assume that printer and bookbinder would have been one in the same.
You are right to be cautious, but I think he is quite likely to be the right one. Printer and bookbinder is often given as a sort of composite occupation.

Have you tried looking for Malcolm Stewarts in the Post Office directories?   
https://digital.nls.uk/directories/

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.