Author Topic: John Dalzell  (Read 2073 times)

Offline trisholdham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
John Dalzell
« on: Tuesday 30 January 18 04:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Can you help me please with John Dalzell born abt 1818 in Shankhill Belfast, father is Thomas Dalzell mother Elizabeth (Don't know her maiden name) father was a Custom House Officer, In John Dalzells death certificate in Sydney NSW  13th Aug 1886 this was what was stated for his fathers occupation, John was married in NSW but immigrated as a Mariner we think from Ireland, he was 66yrs old and 11months on his death certificate so we guest his age was about 1818 to be born, cannot find anything on John or his father and mother.
Would love to get some information if this is possible please.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Dalzell
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Can you help me please with John Dalzell born abt 1818 in Shankhill Belfast, father is Thomas Dalzell mother Elizabeth (Don't know her maiden name) father was a Custom House Officer, In John Dalzells death certificate in Sydney NSW  13th Aug 1886 this was what was stated for his fathers occupation, John was married in NSW but immigrated as a Mariner we think from Ireland, he was 66yrs old and 11months on his death certificate so we guest his age was about 1818 to be born, cannot find anything on John or his father and mother.
Would love to get some information if this is possible please.

You've posted on Armagh board but haven't mentioned anything to do with Armagh- what's the connection?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 12:39 GMT (UK) »
have a look at this site a James Dalzell is mention from Ballycullo, Shankill

http://www.belfasthills.org/history-culture/your-ancestors

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Dalzell living at 43 Boyd street

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Dalzell living at 43 Boyd street

When  ??? source would be nice   ::)

Offline trisholdham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 22:35 GMT (UK) »
I found a Thomas Dalziel b. 1792 Lasswade  - death 1883 Armagh and the death certificate of John Dalzell here in Australia stated Stanton Hill Belfast Ireland so not knowing where Stanton hill was in  Belfast and Thomas death in Armagh, who we think is his father, and the person who was the informant was his daughter ( between Shankhill and Stanton Hill not sure if that is suppose to be the same place) quite confused!!!! I have also found a notice in the Trove newspaper here on his death (John) saying native of Gardiner's road Belfast, dated 13th Aug 1883 Evening News Sydney.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the additional details- gives us a bit more to work with.

I found a Thomas Dalziel b. 1792 Lasswade  - death 1883 Armagh
Thomas Dalzell, age 91, was a farmer (Armagh registration district, Markethill sub-district), son George Dalzell was informant-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1883/06366/4826649.pdf

Someone working in Customs & Excise could have moved around a bit or Thomas Dalzell could have died before the start of death registration in 1864.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 23:05 GMT (UK) »
I have also found a notice in the Trove newspaper here on his death (John) saying native of Gardiner's road Belfast, dated 13th Aug 1883 Evening News Sydney

Found notice in Evening News, 13 Aug.1887:
DALZELL. — In loving memory of my dear father, Mr. John Dalzell, who died at 795, George-street, Sydney, on August 13, 1886, aged 67 ; native of Gardiner's-road, Belfast, Ireland. Belfast papers please copy.

Offline trisholdham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 February 18 06:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for helping me, I wonder does anyone know where Stanton Hill Belfast is, as that was stated on the death certificate?
I have tried to find a John Dalzell born abt 1818 in Belfast but the websites I have used do not come up with any.

Trish