Author Topic: Finding the parents of Joseph Henry Sydney from Calcutta, India  (Read 1927 times)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Finding the parents of Joseph Henry Sydney from Calcutta, India
« Reply #9 on: Friday 02 February 18 07:45 GMT (UK) »
There were lots of Quinlivans in Rangoon.

Searching for Quinlivan in Rangoon on FindMyPast brings up 88 hits from 1868 onwards. Many of the Quinlivans are described as engineers.

Searching for Theodore in Rangoon on FindMyPast brings up 17 hits, from 1856 onwards

I can't see a Theodore/Quinlivan marriage though.

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Seany

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 04 February 18 02:54 GMT (UK) »
ShaunJ

You mentioned that you found the Witnesses of this wedding as M Theodore and S Quinliven. How did you go about finding that? Is it possible there are witnesses for the Birth of Joseph as well?

I can't see any marriages between them either. Perhaps they married in another country, but then there's the Quinliven witness in Rangoon. 

I thought a candidate for M Theodore would be Manuel Theodore who seemed to born in the 1810's and was mentioned as the father on many of his born in the 40's and marrying in the 50's and 60's in Rangoon. Though it's a stretch to think he'll be present at his daughter in Law's 2nd wedding if indeed his son was one of those.

I can't seem to find a Theodore dying that matches the bill. There's an Arthur Theodore born to Parents Samuel and Marie Theodore in Rangoon 1879, and mention of am Arthur Henricus Theodore dying Rangoon 1880. Might be the same child. Samuel could be the husband, but I can't attach him to anything. The baby puts the parents at least old enough to have been born in the 50's.
Mary Theodore on her Marriage cert. b. 1854 apparently.

The witnesses on the Marriage cert could be coincidental. The Quinliven factor does make a good case for it being Mary, and her having family living in the area at the time.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 05 February 18 23:36 GMT (UK) »
I mistranscribed Quinlivan as Quinliven. Apologies for that.

FindMyPast is by far the best online source that we currently we have for India Office BMDs
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk