Author Topic: Has anyone tried Living DNA?  (Read 2416 times)

Offline Chris Anderson

• RootsChat Extra
  • STAND SURE
    • View Profile
Has anyone tried Living DNA?
« on: Tuesday 30 January 18 14:38 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for a good DNA company, I preferably want to know about my Y-DNA and go into detail about halopgroups etc

I'm a newbie

Ancestry only seems to tell you that you are "80% European" etc which I find a bad deal

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone tried Living DNA?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry also tells you people who are linked to you
You can search matching trees by surnames or by location

My mother came out as being my mother ....which would be useful if I was adopted

Her half cousin was unknown to us showed up as a possible second cousin connection as we knew her mother had had 1 child before marriage and 1 after it led to making a connection

I'm hoping to transfer our DNA raw data results to family finder site apparently that works well

Good luck

What you wish to find out will influence which type of test you do
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Chris Anderson

• RootsChat Extra
  • STAND SURE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 16:11 GMT (UK) »
I already know who I'm related to. I don't see the point in the Ancestry test

I want to study my ydna and mtdna so I can find out what groups I belong to

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 11:38 GMT (UK) »
 If you want to test Y and mtDNA then ftDNA would be my choice as Ancestry is an autDNA test and transfering the result to ftDNA would provide matches but another sample would be needed for the Y test at ftDNA.

The one sample (which is 2 cheek swabs)will cover several tests so you can spread the cost.

There will be" sales" at various times in the year

You can follow the "Forums" (free) and gain a lot of information on DNA things but have to sign up to post.

Living DNA is also an Autosomal Test but they do give a predicted Haplogroup and mine was correct !

Kim

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 17:36 GMT (UK) »
I have used LivingDNA ... specifically for an ethnicity check as they advertised a more detailed breakdown of UK ethnicity than other companies. Their breakdown of my heritage confirmed information my uncle had obtained (and disputed  ::) )from a different company

Offline Chris Anderson

• RootsChat Extra
  • STAND SURE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 18:54 GMT (UK) »
I have used LivingDNA ... specifically for an ethnicity check as they advertised a more detailed breakdown of UK ethnicity than other companies. Their breakdown of my heritage confirmed information my uncle had obtained (and disputed  ::) )from a different company

Is it good for tracing your fathers line? Do they give good info on your Y-DNA type?

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 February 18 11:10 GMT (UK) »
It suited my purpose ... Although my great grandparents on my fathers side came from Ireland research appeared to imply that we were most likely "incomers" either through the cromwell invasion, the Plantationists era or simply through the interchange of populations that had gone on over the centuries.
Surprisingly when my uncle had his DNA test results it showed a high Irish percentage. I decided to take the test too but wanted a different company and chose LivingDNA who confirmed the Irish Lineage  - Haplogroup R-M222 Subclade R-Df109