Author Topic: New Office  (Read 3017 times)

Online Pennines

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
New Office
« on: Tuesday 30 January 18 19:41 GMT (UK) »
This query will no doubt sound really stupid to those of you with more than one technical brain cell -- but I am bereft of technical know how and would really appreciate some advice please.

I am using Windows 10 and keep receiving a sign on my screen saying 'Welcome to your New Office' and inviting me to download this. I already have Microsoft Office and I am wondering what this 'New Office' is.

Is anyone else receiving this message and if so -- have you proceeded to download it please? What happens to your existing Microsoft Office?

Many thanks toanyone who can offer advice.
West Yorks; ---- Illingworth, Marshall, Muffit/Muffett/Murfitt, Barber, Sanderson, Townend, Barraclough, Lister -- and lots more. Locations mainly in Birstall parish - Hartshead-- Drighlington --Adwalton --Mirfield - Heckmondwike --Kippax - Sherburn in Elmet.

Ireland ------Cleary, Whelan - Nenagh.
Dowling - Monasterevin
Daly - Westmeath

Lancashire ---- Smith from Alston , Johnson and Fairclough---- Tarleton and loads more from Tarleton and Accrington areas.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: New Office
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Have you recently installed W10 or bought a new pc ?
It sounds like MS trying to get you to download their latest version of Office on a free trial basis.
It may also be a pop-up that's crept onto your pc from another source.
Have you done a malware scan ?
http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?lang=pt
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Falkyrn

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 11:29 GMT (UK) »
It's wise to check for malware but the majority of new computers running W10 have a link to Office 365 preinstalled which you gives you a trial period for the software before you are required to subscribe (Office 365 is a monthly subscription service and is the "newer" version of Office)
Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh

Online Pennines

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both so much for responding. I really appreciate it.

My computer with Windows 10 is now about 18 months old. This 'Welcome to your New Office' sign has been appearing, often on start up -- for some time.

It gives me the option to proceed or click 'Maybe later'. There is no option to completely refuse it!

It looks bona fide -- but what I'm concerned about is my existing Office and all my documents, pictures etc. and whether they would be compromised in any way.

However I certainly don't want to pay a monthly subscription. If I were to get an updated version of my existing Office, I would rather purchase by a one off payment.

It looks like I might be stuck with this regular sign popping up!

My grateful thanks for your help.

West Yorks; ---- Illingworth, Marshall, Muffit/Muffett/Murfitt, Barber, Sanderson, Townend, Barraclough, Lister -- and lots more. Locations mainly in Birstall parish - Hartshead-- Drighlington --Adwalton --Mirfield - Heckmondwike --Kippax - Sherburn in Elmet.

Dowling - Monasterevin
Daly - Westmeath

Lancashire ---- Smith from Alston , Johnson and Fairclough---- Tarleton and loads more from Tarleton and Accrington areas.

Offline Falkyrn

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 13:01 GMT (UK) »
You should be able to turn it off ....

1. look for "Settings" on your computer (Its icon is a cog wheel)
2. click on System
3 click on Notifications & Actions
4 Scroll down and switch off any applications that you do not want notifications for
5 close the window

Online Pennines

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Falkym --- thank you.

I found Settings as you suggested --- but under 'Notifications' -- I have just clicked 'off' for the option which says 'receive notifications from other apps....'.

I hope that is correct. It must be great to actually know what you are doing like you!!

PS -- I can still do a somersault!

Dowling - Monasterevin
Daly - Westmeath

Offline Falkyrn

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 13:34 GMT (UK) »
I hope that is correct. It must be great to actually know what you are doing like you!!

My wife finds that hilarious - I tend to learn by making mistakes or fiddling around with settings to see what they do - the trick is remembering how to get back.

Re Somersault - you are definitely one up on me there  ;D

Online Pennines

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Yes -- but the somersault doesn't help with anything technical (or anything else for that matter!)

Thank you again for your help -- tell your wife that you have made an old woman very happy!

Dowling - Monasterevin
Daly - Westmeath

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 15:26 GMT (UK) »
I used to get that notice when I first got my new laptop but managed to get rid of it, it returned after a recent up date, I'm trying to remember how I got rid of it again.
I know I googled quite a bit about it.
It's not coming to me...
Let us know if turning off the notifications works if not I'll try to remember......