Author Topic: New Office  (Read 6504 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: New Office
« Reply #36 on: Friday 09 February 18 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Deirdre I actually CAN snip (I am so proud!).

I learnt to snip from someone else on Roots Chat funnily enough, when talking about Newspaper articles.

All I do though is start to write 'snipping' into the Cortana thing -- and up it pops. Very useful indeed - why didn't I think of it for the screen shot though? Thank you for that.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 09 February 18 13:53 GMT (UK) »
You can save it to the task bar on the bottom of the screen if you use it regularly 😀
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 09 February 18 14:01 GMT (UK) »
1 useful tip, is to always search on the internet for the words that appear in any sort of error message. You will invariably find out lots of other people who have had the same error message.

Martin

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 09 February 18 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Falkyrn,

I have now copied your Notification screen and turned everything to 'off' except the first item listed. Thank you -- (I had noticed that you only had the first item in the 'on' position.

Deirdre and Mart 'n' Al (are there 2 of you!) --- thank you both for your additional suggestions.

I am SO very grateful to everyone who has persevered with me so helpfully and patiently on this topic.
Places of interest;

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 16:44 GMT (UK) »
If you buy plain Windows 10, it comes with a "Get Office" to let you download the current version (and get you hooked).

If you buy a PC with Windows ready installed, the maker is likely to have installed the current version already. MS push them to do this.

Either way, the 30-day trial starts as soon as you use it.

Because you have Office 2010, you can safely uninstall the other version.

There are two main places to do the uninstall from. Both should let you see the version so you know you are removing the correct one.

EITHER
Start Button - Settings (the Cogwheel) - Apps, then select the new one from the list on the right, and click on Uninstall.

OR
Control Panel (type it in the search box visible when you click the Start Button) - then Programs and Features (just like the old days!) - again, select the new one and click Uninstall.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to both of you -- I don't appear to have the same set up on my computer - however I have found an 'App Explorer' which I had never 'explored' before!

This has an 'Open Office' App -- but when left clicked I am simply invited to install it -- no option to delete it.

So if you are ever passing through Lancashire..............!

Thank you again for all your help.

So...what happens when you Right Click on it??
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Andrew and Hallmark.

Andrew --- when I find the 2 entries for Microsoft Office --- one simply says Microsoft Office, but it is a much larger version than the other --- Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010. (That is 312 MB as opposed to 21.7 MB).

My 2010 version was transferred from my previous computer along with everything else - but the person doing that transfer for me, seems to have done it in separate sections - ie I have Microsoft Word separate from Microsoft Excel on my Desktop -- they don't say 'shortcut'.

Hallmark --- when I right click Microsoft Office in the programmes section I am simply asked 'Are you sure you want to uninstall Microsoft Office'?

Hence --- I am scared stiff of uninstalling it because of it's size in comparison to my existing programme.

I'm just going to leave it -- I'm still getting the invites to install the new office -- but closing them down.

Everyone has been so very helpful with this query -- I'm just a wimp - scared of doing something wrong - but I do really appreciate all your time and trouble.
Places of interest;

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 19:13 GMT (UK) »

Hallmark --- when I right click Microsoft Office in the programmes section I am simply asked 'Are you sure you want to uninstall Microsoft Office'?

Everyone has been so very helpful with this query -- I'm just a wimp - scared of doing something wrong - but I do really appreciate all your time and trouble.

Was just wondering, thanks.

Everyone else is learning....so why not me??   ;D ;D
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 13 February 18 19:29 GMT (UK) »
That's good news then Hallmark. I must admit I've been into parts of my computer never previously visited ---- but most of which have completely baffled me.

I'll return soon to my 'Home for the Bewildered'!
Places of interest;