Author Topic: New Office  (Read 6486 times)

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: New Office
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 22 February 18 19:50 GMT (UK) »
I knew Xbox was on the computer but why is it in the background apps?

Probably because they suspected more people would turn it off if it was too easy to find. (Seriously though, quite a few users are asking in the MS Forums  why so many different apps run in the background especially when not authorised by the user)

As I have my own version of Microsoft Office -- would it be safe to turn off 'My Office' do you think?

Try it - if it causes any problems you can always switch it back on (it won't harm your computer)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 22 February 18 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Falkyrn.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 22 February 18 20:03 GMT (UK) »
My goodness Hallmark -- what have you found!

I managed to locate the Background Apps, thank you -- no idea what most of them are. 'Get Office' was NOT listed -- but 'My Office' was there.

As I have my own version of Microsoft Office -- would it be safe to turn off 'My Office' do you think?

Maybe because that is 'on' - I keep getting the notifications welcoming me to 'New Office' and inviting a download.

Have never opened Office on this computer so never get notiifications....   ;D ;D

So, I presume if you turn it off and use your own Office notifications would stop.

It was when I bought this PC I turned off a pile of these background Apps that I would never use. Plus it streamlines what's running and speedy everything else up!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 22 February 18 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Some make sense like the clock but xbox what is that doing!

Part of the integration of all devices - and an assumption that if you're running a Windows PC then you must have an Xbox  ::)

PS Its always handy to check these settings after any major Windows upgrades as microsoft often disagree with users choices and switch a lot of them back on by default.

Hasn't changed any of mine. What I turned off are still Off

The updates did change Defaults e.g. my Defaults for photos were changed to Windows Defaults and i had to change them back.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 22 February 18 20:11 GMT (UK) »
 Pennines!!

Instal your Office BEFORE turning off the App !!!

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Friday 23 February 18 12:10 GMT (UK) »
I heard your shout Hallmark!!

Just looked at 'My Office' -- it wants me to sign in and install Office 365. It can go away!

I am going to leave well alone until I have someone at the side of me who knows what they are doing! Yes -- I freely admit I am a wimp when it comes to technical stuff (and anything else for that matter.)
Places of interest;

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Friday 23 February 18 12:27 GMT (UK) »
I heard your shout Hallmark!!

Just looked at 'My Office' -- it wants me to sign in and install Office 365. It can go away!

I am going to leave well alone until I have someone at the side of me who knows what they are doing! Yes -- I freely admit I am a wimp when it comes to technical stuff (and anything else for that matter.)

No problem!

You should be able to Install what you have..... then Remove 365!

IF you have Office files on Computer you will lose them if you remove 365 IF you have no Office installed! So, install your version first! 

IF you have no Office files on Computer then it doesn't matter what you do first.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Friday 23 February 18 12:51 GMT (UK) »
My own 2010 version of Microsoft Office, which was transferred onto my new computer is working fine. So in my capacity as a 'dinosaur' - I will continue with that until a technical wizard is in my vicinity -- when can you make it!
Places of interest;

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

I'm really sorry about this, but since our previous batch of correspondence - every time I go into my existing Microsoft Office 2010 - or a document, picture etc I am getting the sign below in the middle of my screen.

I have googled the wording and it seems other people have had the same problem in the past - but I couldn't see any solutions.

As I have had Microsoft Office 2010 for some years I no longer have the original packaging or the product key. (Lesson learnt!) I am being asked for the product key.

Is this simply a way of getting people to purchase a more recent version of Office do you think?
Also if I go ahead and purchase a new version, do you know what happens to my existing files, or can they be transferred over? I have LOADS!

Places of interest;