Author Topic: First Marriage of Margaret Reader  (Read 1335 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
First Marriage of Margaret Reader
« on: Wednesday 31 January 18 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I'm hoping someone can help me identify the first marriage of Margaret Reader, and her maiden name.

In 1676 Margaret was married to Richard Chapman of Ashford. The marriage took place in Leaveland, Kent by Licence which provides the following details:

"Richard Chapman, of Ashford, beerbrewer, ba, 26, and Margaret Reader of Charing, w. At Badlesmere or Leaveland. Heyday Adams of Canterbury, innholder, bondsman. May 13, 1676"

From this it seems that Margaret was first married to a Mr Reader before this marriage. I thought Heyday Adams might be related but haven't found and links between the names Adams and Reader yet.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks

Matt

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: First Marriage of Margaret Reader
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 02:45 GMT (UK) »
There are 2 burials in the Ashford area around that time...

Samuell Reader. Burial date    02 Jan 1665/6. Tenterden, (Ashford)
John Reader. Burial date 10 Dec 1666. Tenterden, (Ashford)

Also...

Elizabeth Adams baptised 09 Apr 1665, Canterbury, Kent. father Haydy Adams, mother Margaret.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 11:35 GMT (UK) »
There are 2 burials in the Ashford area around that time...

Samuell Reader. Burial date    02 Jan 1665/6. Tenterden, (Ashford)
John Reader. Burial date 10 Dec 1666. Tenterden, (Ashford)

Also...

Elizabeth Adams baptised 09 Apr 1665, Canterbury, Kent. father Haydy Adams, mother Margaret.

Hi

Thank for that. Very interesting reading. Could my Margaret be related to Heyday and Margaret Adams or to Samuel or John Reader?

Obviously she can't be the mother of Elizabeth Reader, unless the Hayday Adams mentioned as the father there died and they had a son named Hayday too.

I'll see if I can find a marriage or burial for Hayday Adams and any info on Samuel or John Reader.

Thanks for the help

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 February 18 10:31 GMT (UK) »
I think I have found the answer to this. There is a marriage in 1669 in Charing of a Hilkiah Reader and a Margaret Hodge. There only appears to be one child born to this marriage:

John Reader - christened 8 Nov 1671 Charing - son of Hezekiah and Maragret Reader.

I suspect that Hilkiah Reader and Hezekiah Reader are the same person. Although I haven't found a burial for him yet, I suspect that since I've only found one child born to him and Margaret he probably died between 1671 [when John was born] and 1676 when Margaret [as a widow] married Richard Chapman.

It looks like Margaret was born in 1652 [in Charing] making her about 17 when she married Hilkiah/Hezekiah and 19 when John Reader was born. It would therefore make her 24 when she married Richard Chapman and put her in her mid 20s-mid 30s when the Chapman children were born. Also when she married Richard she is described as "of Charing" so this would seem to fit with her being someone from that parish.

Matt

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 February 18 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Not sure how many Hilkiah Readers there are in the area but there is a burial of Hilkiah Reader Gent. in Wye ( which is only about 8 miles from Charing)October 1676 - which is too late for the marriage record you have. Wonder if there is an error in the registers ? Hilkeah seems such a odd name and to find a burial of one in the same sort of timeframe and area - what are the chances ?

A Hilkiah Reader also gets a mention in a PCC Will on Anc* of a Lydia Reader (his mother) of Ashford Kent dated 1650.

Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 February 18 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Not sure how many Hilkiah Readers there are in the area but there is a burial of Hilkiah Reader Gent. in Wye ( which is only about 8 miles from Charing)October 1676 - which is too late for the marriage record you have. Wonder if there is an error in the registers ? Hilkeah seems such a odd name and to find a burial of one in the same sort of timeframe and area - what are the chances ?

A Hilkiah Reader also gets a mention in a PCC Will on Anc* of a Lydia Reader (his mother) of Ashford Kent dated 1650.

Hi Claire

That's interesting, there could be a link. I'm not too worried that the burial of this Hilkiah Reader in October 1676 is after the marriage of Richard Chapman and Margaret Reader [wid] in May 1676. I have a family in Sussex where both the man and the woman were married to other people (and having children) when they married - it has produced quite a large tree with multiple descendants from each pair of spouses. It's a good job a lot of them left Wills.

Anyhow I have now found out some more info about Richard Chapman and Margaret Reader, and I don't think she was his only wife. I also don't think she is the mother of my ancestor Mary Chapman either.

It looks like Richard might have been married three times but I need to do a bit more digging. I'll let you know what I find out.

Matt

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 February 18 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Helkiah Reader was a mercer of Ashford, his son John was apprenticed as a joiner

https://bifmo.data.history.ac.uk/entry/reader-john-1687

There's a will for Hilkiah senior

http://www.kentarchaeology.org.uk/Research/01/ASH/04/01r.htm
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 February 18 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Helkiah Reader was a mercer of Ashford, his son John was apprenticed as a joiner

https://bifmo.data.history.ac.uk/entry/reader-john-1687

There's a will for Hezekiah senior

http://www.kentarchaeology.org.uk/Research/01/ASH/04/01r.htm

Hiya

Thanks for that info.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 February 18 14:55 GMT (UK) »
I've now found more info on both Margaret Reader and Richard Chapman.

It looks like he had another wife named Margaret Plummer (they married in 1685). So Margaret Reader isn't my ancestor, Margaret Plummer is.

He may also have had another wife named Ann in between these two marriages.

Matt