Author Topic: "My four servants"?  (Read 283 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
"My four servants"?
« on: Wednesday 31 January 18 01:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am hoping someone can help me with a few words in this extract from the Will of Thomas Carter of Selling (dated 1653).

I am having a problem with the last two words on the third line down, although I think it reads "my four servants". If that is the case then the next line makes very interesting reading as it includes mention of a "John Ruck", which is interesting as Thomas's wife was Isabella Ruck.

Could Rohn Ruck be related to Isabell?

Many thanks for any ideas.

Matthew

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "My four servants"?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 03:36 GMT (UK) »
Your reading is correct.  Here's the exact transcription.

...Item I give to my fower servants

vizt to William Hilton, John Rucke William Betherstoke and Anne Harris...

I think it's highly likely that John and Isabell could be related - he could be her nephew, for example.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: "My four servants"?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Your reading is correct.  Here's the exact transcription.

...Item I give to my fower servants

vizt to William Hilton, John Rucke William Betherstoke and Anne Harris...

I think it's highly likely that John and Isabell could be related - he could be her nephew, for example.

Hi

Thanks for that. The only name I couldn't make out in the list was William's surname. I could make out the "Beth" part at the start but wasn't sure of the last part lol! Glad I got the others right though.

Isabell was the daughter of Richard Rucke and Mary Carter [who were cousins]. So far I don't have a record of a John Rucke in the family but as you say he could be a nephew (or perhaps another cousin).

Thanks again though. :)

Matt