Author Topic: Looking for Kansas obituary  (Read 656 times)

Offline thecalifornialife

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Kansas obituary
« on: Wednesday 31 January 18 01:32 GMT (UK) »
I want to confirm the father of my 3x great grandfather. His name is James Albert Wallace. He also went by Albert Wallace. He was born on March 6, 1861 and died on October 29, 1941 in Douglas County, Kansas and lived in Leavenworth, Kansas. I can't seem to find a obituary for him. Could anyone assist?

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Kansas obituary
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 11:30 GMT (UK) »
There's an obituary index for the Leavenworth Times for that time frame, but he doesn't seem to be in it.

Maybe you could contact the local library to see if there are any other newspapers that he might have an obituary in.  Sometimes, libraries will do look-ups for obituaries.  http://leavenworthpubliclibrary.org/about-us/contact-us

Offline usaPetticrew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 March 18 14:31 GMT (UK) »
On the Newspapers.com database, I searched Kansas and Missouri newspapers for Wallace, Oct. 29-Nov. 5 in 1941, and could not find an obituary for your James Albert Wallace.

If you haven't seen this already, for James Albert Wallace, which lists children:

https://old.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=wallace&GSfn=james&GSmn=albert&GSbyrel=all&GSdy=1941&GSdyrel=in&GSob=n&GRid=171446708&df=all&

Children listed:
  Rena Horton (____ - 1981)*
  Robert Wallace (____ - 1966)*
  Benjamin Franklin Wallace (1887 - 1969)*
  Hattie B Wallace Haas (1889 - 1960)*
  Emma Jean Wallace Culver (1896 - 1954)*
  Daisy Cunningham (1897 - 1961)*

Kyle R. Kesinger, who submitted the grave info, might be a descendant of your Albert Wallace.  You can try to email him for more info.
Petticrew, Pettigrew, Bedigrew, and all variants.

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 March 18 20:17 GMT (UK) »
I've found the obituary.  It states he was born in St. Joe, 6 Mar 1861 and that he is survived by wife, Hulda Jane, 3 sons, 4 daughters, and 13 grandchildren.  If this sounds like the man you are searching and would like a copy of the obit, send me your email address through the private messaging system, and I'll forward a copy.

I've also pulled the obit for Hulda, if you're interested.