Author Topic: The Clark and Talbot families of Wicklow  (Read 2898 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Clark and Talbot families of Wicklow
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Here is Griffiths Valuation list for Boystown which you mentioned.

http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/wicklow/boystown.htm

I think there was a witness Richard Talbot to the marriage and if you check the baptism sponsors, I think there was also a Judy Clarke. These names appear in GV but I haven’t checked back over the baptisms.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Seany

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 01 February 18 01:15 GMT (UK) »
Dathai.
12 Aug 1850
It seems you're right. The baptism you gave me was a print out of a transcript for the Ireland, Catholic Parith Register 1655-1915 from someone who used Ancestry unfortuntately. Well intentioned. Though it says Ann Clark here, when looking at the page it appears to be John Clark.
Her boat trip 26 Feb 1871 has her age 20, whereas her marriage cert 19 Aug 1871 has her age 22. So I made a leap of faith with the Baptism when handed to me. 

Hallmark.
I've only looked with the resources I have. Which aren't much. familysearch and findmypast. I honestly didn't know about these nli registers? That's amazing.
Charles and Catherine Clark is not exactly a rare names.
The Clarks in the civil records are few and their ages don't quite reflect the age of someone havaing children in the 1850s. I'm not sure how often they ad the E to the end.
Catherine Clark there are a few people who might be. I made a shortlist, but they're all for people born 1820 onward, whereas heywood found a marriage cert for 1830, which destroyed this list.
It's unclear whether they stayed in Ireland, and left like their daughter did.

Wivenhoe.
That's a very interesting dead record..
It could be a coincidence. A Catherine Smith having a mother who is a Catherine Talbot. I don't see any Clark+Smith Marriages in Victoria.

Annie Clark married a Herman Schauer 1871 in Bendigo, Victoria. She later married another man in 1890 named John Davey Whose marriage cert I haven't seen yet. Ann passed away 1925 in NZ, whose death cert I haven't seen either. But I'm certain of this lady with other facts involving newspapers and children locations.
There was another Annie Clark living close Bendigo at the time too. I'll need to double check with those records.

On the boat which I've assumed Ann Clark aged 20 came out on, the writing is small but I think I make out Kate Smith 22 and Jane Smith 23. All three were servents. She's 10 years younger than the Catherine Clarke heywood mentioned in reply7.

heywood
I can't believe you found a marriage like that! Thank you so much. I feel as if this is the most likely marriage, even if it was hidden in latin. I had a shortlist of Catherine Clark deaths I was making using the Site Hallmark sent. but I assumed she was born no later than the 1820's
If Catherine married age 20 in 1830. She would have been nearly 40 by the the time she had Ann Clark. Which probably makes her one of the last children.
Your Valuation listing of boystown shows two Charles Clarkes. If I had to assume, It would be the one with Valleymount/cross as it matches the Parish Varient Valleymount that appears on Ann Clarks Baptism.

Back to the marriage. I'm interested in this Richard Talbot that appears in the Marriage register and valuations. He seems to be in the same area as Charles Clarke. Valleymount/cross.
With Judith Clarke. Though she's in Blackditches, so is a Mary. You mentioned you saw her name elsewhere on a Baptism sponsor?

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 February 18 05:46 GMT (UK) »

BDM VIC marriage
1858 / 1840 CLARK Catherine   m.   SMITH   William   

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 01 February 18 06:46 GMT (UK) »
With Judith Clarke. Though she's in Blackditches, so is a Mary. You mentioned you saw her name elsewhere on a Baptism sponsor?

Michael Clarke (1836) has Godparents Michael and Judith Clarke

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 01 February 18 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Dathai.
12 Aug 1850
It seems you're right. The baptism you gave me was a print out of a transcript for the Ireland, Catholic Parith Register 1655-1915 from someone who used Ancestry unfortuntately. 

Yes, always be wary of stuff people use on their "trees"

Hallmark.
I've only looked with the resources I have. Which aren't much. familysearch and findmypast. I honestly didn't know about these nli registers? 

No worries, saves other people's time if people have already looked.

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Seany

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 01 February 18 09:22 GMT (UK) »
There's a lot to unpack here.

For starters. This Charles Clark and Catherine Talbot looks solid. But since my connection to Blackditches came from mistaken baptism of John instead of Ann. Which could unravel my connection to them.

That said. The Catherine Clark, daughter of a William and Cath Talbot living in the same part of Australia as Ann Clark is pretty compelling.
Thanks Wivenhoe for pointing that out. I looked up what I could on her. I couldn't find exactly where she married William, but I do know where her children where born. from public records

William Hopper Clark marries Catherine Clark in 1858 Like Wivenhoe said.

Catherine Smith dies 1891 in Melbourne suspiciously. There was an inquest. Her age was 54 (54 on the inquest, 55 in the paper) When she died. Making her birthdate about 1837. Same as the one in Blackditches. Though I won't be sure without looking at the birth cert.

I also found a Catherine Clark coming off a ship to Melbourne in March 1857. A single Irish girl aged 19. Who travelled with a Mary Clark, age 18. Assied by two single men whose names, different, I can barely make out, both age 20. There's a little chance. That makes this Catherine born about 1838

So these were the children I found.

• Robert b. 1863 Inglewood - d. 1863 Reed? (Cert 4358)
    Jane b. No cert? - d. 1863 McIv (Cert 4356)
    Jane b. 1865 Inglewood - m 1891 Robert Lockhart - d. 1934 (Parents William Smith & Cath Clarke)
    Jacobinia - b. 1867 Sandhurst - m. 1887 John Smith 1886 - d. 1891 Caulfield (Age 23. Parents named William Hopper and Catherine Talbot) Said to be the 2nd Daughter.
    Catherine - b. 1870 Emerald Hill - d. 1871 Emerald Hill
    William - b. 1871 Emerald Hill
    Albert - b. 1875 Emerald Hill
    Alfred - b. 1877 Emerald Hill - M. 1901 Lousia Scott. - d. 1928 (Parents William Hopper Smith & Catherine Clark) Meant to be the 5th son? but He's the 4th I have?
    George - b. 1880 - d. 1881

William Hopper Clark's Eldest Daughter Jane Hopper Smith "Jeanie" marries in 1891 to a Robert Lockhart. So it has in the local paper.
I'm confused as to this Jane, the eldest daughter? Robert and Jane Clark with the same parents died the same year, almost the same day if the Certs numbers are to be believed.
It could be that Robert and Jane were twins, and Jane was stillborn, so no Birth cert for her and Robert lived only a day, which gave time for there to be one more death between him and her. Maybe the 2nd Jane counted as his First Daughter.

Offline Seany

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 01 February 18 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Hallmark

I did put a bit too much trust in the document I was given. It wasn't actually from a persons tree, but the transcribed text of the same document you showed me on Ancestry. At least, what Ancestry believed that document to say. A professional or computer would have made that mistake. Had you not shown me the document. I may have accepted it. Her birthday should fit between Michael 1847 and John 1850. Her marriage cert did put her birthdate about 1849.  (Aug 1871. minus 22 years)

I want to contribute as much as I can, and no way take advantage all this great help you've given me so far.

I noticed the marriage cert had the names a John and Bridget Kelly as well as Richard Talbot on it.
I then saw a Thomas Kelly on Michael Clark's Baptism. I see Thomas is on the Griffiths Valuations too at Boystown or Baltyboys, Lower.

Heywood,
You said, Michael Clarke (1836) has Godparents Michael and Judith Clarke.
The 1836 Clark doesn't have Catherine's maiden name, whereas the 1847 one does. A reason to be 2 Michaels in the family. Perhaps this one passed away or from a different branch?

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 01 February 18 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Seany,
It is difficult. I have only given you names from the records and I did write ‘if these are yours’.
With regard to two Michaels, it is a common occurrence that a later child is named after an earlier deceased child so that could be the case here - if they are the same family.
Lots of ‘ifs’  ;)
Heywood

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 01 February 18 09:54 GMT (UK) »
I am a bit confused now.
Are you still looking for Ann Clark with parents Clark/Talbot?