Author Topic: Moore and Duff families of Killyleagh, Down.  (Read 2442 times)

Offline Seany

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Moore and Duff families of Killyleagh, Down.
« on: Wednesday 31 January 18 04:22 GMT (UK) »
Hey!

Another mystery here. I've found my GG Grandother Agnes Patton Moore migrating to New Zealand from Ireland with her likely sister Eliza Jane Duff Moore who was one year older. Agnes was born about 1849 and Eliza 1848 from Down.

When Eliza died, it showed her parents as William Moore and Mary Ann Duff of County Down.

I found a Marriage between William Moore and Mary Anne Duff in Killyleagh, Down, Ireland 15 July 1842.
There were lots of Baptisms of Moore children with those parents. The earliest being Samuel Duff Moore 1849, Presbyterian, Killyleagh, Down, Ireland.
Agnes and Eliza were born before him but there are no Baptism records on the sources I've used for them. Word from the family is, Agnes and Eliza had two more sisters named Margaret and Elizabeth who came to Australia.

I may be reaching, but there's a Mary Duff born 9 May 1825 in Dromore Parish, Down. Parents William Duff and Isabella Jones. But it's guess work after this point.

Is there anything wrong with my logic to assume these William Moore and Mary Ann Duff are indeed the right parents, given what I already know? It's hard when the births are before 1850. I don't know what other resources I could use to paint a better picture. Can anyone please put me on the right path? 

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Moore and Duff families of Killyleagh, Down.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi

In Memoriam notices for Agnes Patton FULLBROOK in case you don't already have them.

She died in March 1925.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/16276331?searchTerm=agnes%20fullbrook&searchLimits=l-decade=192

The AUS Death Index records her parents names as William and Agnes P.   ???

~  Lu

Hey!
Another mystery here. I've found my GG Grandother Agnes Patton Moore migrating to New Zealand from Ireland with her likely sister Eliza Jane Duff Moore .....

When Eliza died, it showed her parents as William Moore and Mary Ann Duff of County Down.
Is there anything wrong with my logic to assume these William Moore and Mary Ann Duff are indeed the right parents, given what I already know?

.... "are the right parents"  ... of whom ???      The likely sister of Agnes  ... or Agnes ???

~  Lu

Edited (by me) - should have read "In Memoriam" (rather than death notices).

Offline Seany

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 23:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lucy2,

Thanks for finding the Memoriam I went off the death record for quite a while, but unfortunately, sometimes it's not so reliable.
At first I thought that her children put her parents just as her name and her ex-husband.
Which would appear as William and Agnes P.

On the physical birth certificate I have. It has her parents in more detail as William Moore and Agnes Patton Duff.

I have the death cert too for Eliza Duff because she and Agnes were both listen as together on their boat to New Zealand. She never married, I thought and that her death cert would be more accurate with her sister at that time. It could be her half sister if her father is William Moore. But I find the since Agnes' granddaughter had the name middle Duffrin that it might lean more towards Mary Ann Duff to be her mother too.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 February 18 00:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Seany

Thanks for the clarification.   

I came by this thread here, when I was looking to answer some queries on your other current  thread on the New Zealand board.

Yes, I'd wondered too about the name "Duffrin" - and if it fitted with "DUFF" surname.

I'll go back to the NZ thread now and carry on with the searching there.   ;D

~  Lu

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 February 18 08:52 GMT (UK) »
In Ulster some names are interchangeable such as Ann(e), Hannah and Agnes.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Seany

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 March 19 03:27 GMT (UK) »
A lot later, I know, but I feel like there's still something to be found here.

I just discovered that there was a family called the Moores who moved to Killinchy, Ireland to have their children and the family story goes that when they migrated to Ireland from the USA they changed their name to Muir so all the following children had that surname. 

There was a William Muir that was born 1822 in Killinchy, Ireland, so was his next sibling. Though what's interesting about this William is that his following sibling after that was born in Killyleagh. But the most interesting thing still is that the mother of William Muir was named Agnes Patton. Daughter of a Patrick and Elizabeth Patton.

I don't know where to start with this one. I can't even find Agnes' birth cert. Any ideas?

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 March 19 10:27 GMT (UK) »
The Duffrin comment interests me. I'd  wonder if it realated to the Barony Dufferin in County Down which contains Killyleagh.

I would have thought all variations of the Duff surnames would come from the MacDuff Family in Scotland.

Duffrin perhaps is more of a pure Irish surname? "Dufferin (from Irish: [A]n Duibhthrian, meaning "the black third".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dufferin_(barony)

Mary Ann Duff's surname could still be the source of Duffrin.
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)