Author Topic: The Illegitimate child of James Stephenson  (Read 7925 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Illegitimate child of James Stephenson
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 01 February 18 02:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Seany

Very good info you have delivered us - thanks, it makes our job so much easier at this end.  ;)

I have some more info ... and some thoughts, to post shortly.

*  Are you in New Zealand ?     [ Do you maybe have access to the Archives New Zealand office at Wellington ? ]

~  Lu

Offline Seany

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 01 February 18 03:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Lucy2,

No I'm in Australia. I'm just tracing my footsteps with the NZ sides of my family. :)

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 01 February 18 07:56 GMT (UK) »
I won't be favoured for saying this but the obvious other route, failing identification through the divorce file, would be to list all the possible James' and eliminate them one by one?
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 01 February 18 08:53 GMT (UK) »
So I am putting this out there as I stumble around, just in case it's relevant (and I am not implying it is Seany).

There are several entries in the Police Gazettes between 1885 and 1897 (searched to 1902) for a James Stephenson/Stevenson.

What I found a little interesting is that for the 1885,1886 and 1887 entries, the person was referred to as James Stephenson alias Stevenson.

1885, vol 9, page 11 A full description of the person including 'Native of colony, about 20 years'. Canterbury area.
1886, vol 10, page 71 Unexecuted warrant noting he might have gone north or to Sydney.
1887, vol 11, page 142 Invercargill area.

The 1897 person feels to be different as no link noted in the Gazette, no alias mentioned and different crime but you never know.

1897, vol 21, page 126 at Christchurch

Twiggy

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 01 February 18 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Seany

Just adding a snippet here ... it will be helpful to know the date the FULLBROOK divorce was finalised when approaching Archives New Zealand (Wellington office) for the file reference number.

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/CHP18960619.2.48

.... June 1896 ... Decree Nisi in FULLBROOK v. FULLBROOK was made Absolute.

~  Lu

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 02 February 18 02:10 GMT (UK) »
I did a bit of a timeline as I see it pertains directly to Agnes' whereabouts ... and it raises one question, and a location:

1879 Agnes and William married in Christchurch
1879 - 1890 Agnes and William moved to Wairoa
1880-1881 Agnes was unwell in Tauranga (and Auckland somewhere between Wairoa and Napier) (ER entry for William)
1879 - 1890 Agnes took off to Napier, William followed

1890 Agnes went to Christchurch to seek work
1890 - 91 Agnes was paid passage back to Napier
1890 - 91 Agnes was paid passage back to Wellington

1891 October 19 Maintenance set at 30s in favour of Agnes from William.  Wellington.
NOTE it says 4 little children.
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/EP18910704.2.8?query=agnes%20fulbrook

1892 Margaret born 29/10/1892 (BDMH)

1892 November 7 William wants custody of the children. Napier
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/DTN18921107.2.8?query=fullbrook
[Divorce article states he had not cohabited with her since her departure to Christchurch].

1895 Agnes applied for maintenance from William to be increased

1896 Agnes and William divorce, at William's initiation
1896 Agnes Patton Fullbrook 1896   Napier   Hawke's Bay  (electoral roll)
1896 James Stevenson, Waiter, Masterton (as per divorce article)

1900 Agnes Patton Fullbrook 1900   Napier   Hawke's Bay  (electoral roll)
1905 Agnes Patton Fullbrook 1905-1906   Christchurch North   Canterbury     (electoral roll)
1911 Agnes Patton Fullbrook 1911   Wellington Central   Wellington     (electoral roll)
1912 Agnes Wellington to Sydney
1913 Agnes Electoral roll in Sydney
1914 Agnes Patton Fullbrook 1914   Wellington North   Wellington     (electoral roll)
1919 Agnes Patton Fullbrook 1919   Napier   Hawke's Bay  (electoral roll)
1921 Agnes Auckland to Sydney
1924 Agnes idle and disorderly, Wellington
1924 Agnes Wellington to Sydney
1925 Agnes died in Sydney, Australia

So, the question:
Maintenance in October 1891 was applied for by Agnes from William.  The newspaper article states 4 little children.  Margaret according to BDMH hadn't been born by then.  Is there another child? When William showed up to the maintenance hearing in November did he know or not know about Margaret?

Births to Agnes
1880/2942   Fullbrook   Stephen Round   Agnes Patton   William Wood   
1881/16203   Fullbrook   Richard Outen   Agnes Patton   William Wood   
1885/5662   Fullbrook   Agnes Anne Matraners   Agnes Patton   William Wood

1892/12976   Fullbrook   Margaret Howard Moore   Agnes Patton   NR

The location:
It would appear that Agnes was living in Wellington when Margaret was conceived and born.

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 02 February 18 02:18 GMT (UK) »
I have another James Stevenson under investigation, from the Police Gazettes, who would have lived in Wellington at that time, born 1856 and a Scot but perhaps we had best wait for the Divorce file and/or custody file.

Alternatively some time in the Wises directories might also eliminate or include this fellow.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 02 February 18 02:35 GMT (UK) »
Just noting that the birth of Margaret Howard Moore FULLBROOK > born 29 October 1892 > was registered at Napier.

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 02 February 18 03:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Seany

Don't know how I missed this earlier ...  ::) ... but herewith, the Obituary for Agnes - published in a Wellington newspaper.    ;)

Obituary - Agnes P. FULLBROOK - 1925  :
http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/EP19250328.2.111

------

I'm still sifting through all the information I've been able to gather to date - hampered slightly by the fact that some resources which form part of the Rootsweb "stable", have been temporarily withdrawn from the site due to security issues. 

I too have a possible "candidate" for the James STEVENSON (STEPHENSON)  cited in the FULLBROOK divorce proceedings.    And am able also to rule out of contention, two others of that same name.   Will add it all here shortly.

And in view of the contents of Agnes's obit, I'll be going over that with a "fine tooth comb".  ;D

~  Lu