Author Topic: The Illegitimate child of James Stephenson  (Read 7902 times)

Offline Seany

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Illegitimate child of James Stephenson
« Reply #27 on: Friday 02 February 18 05:05 GMT (UK) »
TwiggyTree, Lucy2

These timelines are amazing. I never thought there would be so much more information out there. I've just had no idea where to look.

Adding to your timeline Twiggy. Agnes seemed to have come across on the ship that Lucy2 pointed out in her latest article regarding the death of Agnes.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-6X73-83V?i=57&cc=1609792
She came out with her sister who died here: 1920/366 Moore Eliza Jane Duff 73Y

Had her children
1879 Stephen Round (Round was his grandfather middle name, died in NZ 1944)
1881 Richard Outen (Outen after his mother's maiden name, died in NSW 1952)
1885 Agnes Anne Matraners (married Watson in NZ 1907, but had an Illegitimate child named Thomas Reuben Fullbrook, She remarried to a David Harold in 1920, which is what appears in the newspaper as the home she was when she died I believe)

1892 Margaret Howard Moore Fullbrook (had Jean Duffrin Fullbrook to one father, then 7 more to Joseph Henry Sydney ca 1915 onwards)

I don't have Margaret's birthday other than the Birth cert for her on the NZ BDM site is 1892?. But based on the 1891 article, she must be born before July 1891. So I understand you question now.

Interestingly, on her death cert, under Children of marriage, it says
Sephen 45
Richard 43
Annie 39
Daisy 32
       Living
1 Baby Deceased (Hard to read, I believe is says this)

I wonder whose baby this was. James having the first one and casting into doubt Margaret's legitimacy? Both James' or the last one being Williams before Margaret with James?

There is also this article I found quite amazing. Notice how she goes by her Maiden name. Moore.
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/parliamentary/appendix-to-the-journals-of-the-house-of-representatives/1898/I/4013
It goes for 2 pages, but describes her life after she made her 'Mistake'

So 1896, Agnes and James were living nearby eachother?
Thanks again Twiggy for making such a timeline. I didn't have even half of that, so it really helps paint a picture of what she was up to.

That Gazette saying James might of went North or to NSW is a possibility. I wonder if that might have been the reason for Agnes moving over? or if James does indeed die in NZ. If he had been in NZ for 20 years, That would have him arriving around 1865? maybe that can narrow the years down a little.

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 02 February 18 05:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Seany,

You can narrow the dates down on BDM's to get the exact date

Registration Number Family Name Given Name Mother's Given Name Father's Given Name
1892/12976        Fullbrook    Margaret Howard Moore    Agnes Patton   NR

The exact date is 29/10/1892

Cheers Janette

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 02 February 18 07:50 GMT (UK) »
Seany
Any chance you could list the surnames of any other relatives seeing as there seems to be a tradition of giving each child a familial name.
Twiggy
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 03 February 18 04:15 GMT (UK) »

There's a James Stephenson dying in 1907 aged 66.
Hi Seany

I'll start by eliminating this one for you.

He appears to be the man buried at New Plymouth  (Taranaki) - although there are no dates on the cemetery record to show when he died or was buried.   Neither is an age given for him.   ::)
I did though find a file for a James Syston STEPHENSON, late of Waitara [Taranaki district] - Settler, who died intestate on or about 16 September 1907.   (NZ BDM have date of death as 16 October 1907 ?)    He was probably the same man as on Taranaki electoral rolls as "James "Ligston" or "Ligton" STEPHENSON ?   However he's not the person you are seeking.
------------

Better news, (I hope), follows :   
After much scouring of newspapers/ electoral rolls, etc. etc, I think I have now located the "correct"  James STEVENSON and unravelled some of his life "story" which seems to fit well with the goings on already discovered in respect of Agnes.     I'll attempt to add the details in an easy-to-follow format.

See next ... and continuing posts   > >

~  Lu

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 03 February 18 06:17 GMT (UK) »
I didn't know about the Maheno ship later on? I had a Great Uncle take that same ship to Sydney only a few years later. Different side of the family though. Small world.

Nothing to do with your family but there was a hospital ship called the Maheno used during the Gallipoli campaign.  I wonder whether it's the same ship?  The Te Papa exhibition has a model of part of the ship.

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline Seany

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 03 February 18 06:46 GMT (UK) »
Lucy2, How do you work all this wizardy??
You've taken my main James and completely annihilated him. You must have some secret formula.

I honestly can't wait to hear a new theory about James.

Twiggy
I'll add what else I know about the NZ families. I'll mention the Fullbrooks. I know they might not have a lot to do with James Stevenson, but maybe one day someone might google their names and stumble upon this thread.

Stephen Round Fullbrook marries Ivy May Lamb in 1919 NZ
This next part I gathered from others on an Ancestry tree, but I believe they had a daughter named Gloria Ellen May Fullbrook. Not sure what happened to her. She married a man named Douglas Chadwin Carter somewhere. Douglas died in NSW, and Gloria may have remarried. They had a daughter named Stephanie Carter, as far as I could tell from a local paper.

Richard Outen Fullbrook marries Elfrida Margareta Rodewald. 1918 NZ
I see Richard dies in NSW 1952. Unclear what happened to Elfrida

Agnes Anne Matraners Fullbook marries George William Watson 1907 NZ
She already had Thomas Reuben Fullbrook in 1901 NZ.
After Marriage she had Eveline Agnes Watson 1908 NZ
They then moved to Sydney. Not sure what happens to George Watson, but she remarries a David Terence Harold in 1920. She's young enough to have another child, but public records only go so far back. Agnes died 1963 in NSW, parents William wood and Agnes Patton.

Thomas Fullbrook marries a girl named Edna May Cashion and have two children.
Merle Mary Fullbrook (who married Gordon John Heath in 1954. He died in NSW 2011, not sure what happened to Merle)
John Wesley Fullbrook
Thomas died 1965 in NSW with mother named Agnes Ann, no father listed.

That basically summarized what I know what Margaret's uncles, aunts and cousins.
Ideally I'd love to find Stephanie Carter and any children of Merle Fullbrook's children.

When it comes to Agnes's family. I just know she came out with I believe, her sister Eliza Jane Duff Moore. Who died in NZ, 1920, a spinster.

Jannette
Thank you for pointed out how I can narrow the dates. It's obvious now looking back!

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 03 February 18 06:50 GMT (UK) »
James STEVENSON :

I have info for this James from his probable arrival in NZ, up to his death/burial.
Having checked out numerous others of the name James STEVENSON / STEPHENSON, I felt this one was the most likely "candidate", for the reasons I mentioned previously.

Possible arrival in NZ :

James STEPHENSON - 23 years [bc 1854 ] - arrived Napier, NZ - 9 November 1877
Ex :  Co. Cavan - Ireland
Ship :   "Mataura"
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DYLC-KDR
-------
NZ Electoral :

1885-1886 - Napier roll
STEVENSON - James - Napier - waiter - (Qualification for roll :  residential )

1890 - Wellington roll
STEVENSON - James - Molesworth Street - hotelkeeper*
[*  The occupation here does not necessarily mean he is a licensed hotelkeeper.   As will be shown later, he was probably more of a "helper at the hotel" - his wife actually held the Publican's licence.]

NZ Marriage

1890 / 3672
James STEPHENSON  -- Rosanna BEATTY -- actual date of marriage =  2 June 1890.

Before I continue with STEVENSON ... will add a little background for Mrs. BEATTY :

~  Lu                                                                               continues    next  > >

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 03 February 18 06:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi  Seany   ... your post just rolled in as I was about to hit the "send" button.

Plenty more to come. 

~  Lu