Author Topic: The Illegitimate child of James Stephenson  (Read 7826 times)

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The Illegitimate child of James Stephenson
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Electoral roll entries for Agnes

Agnes Patton Fullbrook 1896   Napier   Hawke's Bay   
Agnes Patton Fullbrook 1900   Napier   Hawke's Bay   
Agnes Patton Fullbrook 1905-1906   Christchurch North   Canterbury   
Agnes Patton Fullbrook 1911   Wellington Central   Wellington   
Agnes Patton Fullbrook 1914   Wellington North   Wellington   
Agnes Patton Fullbrook 1919   Napier   Hawke's Bay

There are James' wherever she goes!
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 09:45 GMT (UK) »
When I was researching in Masterton some years ago, there was an AMAZING guy at the Wairarapa Archive.  I don't know if Gareth is still there, but it might be worth a go?!

https://www.facebook.com/Wairarapa-Archive-233193230043543/

Out of interest, they had a 'guest book' where you could write your name if you wanted to be put in touch with any other researchers that came through looking for your 'folks' which I thought was a great idea.

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Agnes appeared before the Magistrate at Wellington in February 1924, charged with being idle and disorderly.

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/EP19240205.2.35

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Seany

Agnes's time in Australia was very brief.   As reported earlier, she appeared in Court at Wellington (NZ) in February 1924.

Agnes FULLBROOK died at her daughter's residence in Sydney on 2 March 1925.   No doubt though you already have that information ?

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/16276331?searchTerm=Agnes%20Fullbrook&searchLimits=l-decade=192

Question :    Is the daughter "Daisy" named in the above ^ In Memoriam notice for Agnes,

*    the same person as "Margaret Howard Moore FULLBROOK" ?

*    and,  is the birth mother named as  *Daisy Howard" in this NZ Birth registration > 1910 / 14172 - FULLBROOK - Jean Duffrin -  (Father's name not recorded), the same person as Margaret ??

~   Lu 

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 20:58 GMT (UK) »
wivenhoe, did you spot a divorce file?  I hadn't had much luck on Archway.

It is not unusual for Divorces which were processed through Courts in the greater Wellington region (and I include those from areas such as Hawkes Bay / Wairarapa etc.) to not appear in the Archway (online) Index.  [In days gone by, records of these Divorces were held in an in-house database at Archives NZ's Wellington office.   Despite being told by an archivist that the records would eventually be transferred to Archway, in some cases this doesn't appear to have happened.]       

Would suggest if you're wanting this Divorce record, you contact Archives NZ (Wellington) to obtain file number etc.

~  Lu

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 21:07 GMT (UK) »
As another interesting side note for RCers:

• Stephan's [sic] military file is the first time I have seen both a WW1 and WW2 attestation in a WW1 file.  Enlistment at 36 years the first time and 62 years the second.  He refers to his mother initially being his next of kin; and there are a lot of potential addresses to cross-check to see if a James was at any with his mother.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lg6/

• Richard's WW1 military file on the other hand lists his father as his next of kin; and leaves me feeling more like a voyeur than a researcher.  A sad narrative.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lg7/

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Seany

Further to my Reply # 12 above where I said ... "Agnes's time in Australia was very brief" ... I now have to add that I have since found Agnes P. FULLBROOK on a 1913 Australian electoral roll.  ;D

1913 - NSW - Philip - Chippendale

FULLBROOK - Agnes Patton - domestic duties - 30 Louis Street

Also, found her on shipping lists (twice) >

1921 - Auckland to Sydney - per "Maheno"
(Listed under passengers "Mesdames" )   FULLBROOK A. P.
Arrived 13 June 1921

and another list (@ FamilySearch) for same voyage -  describes her as "Mrs A.P. FULLBROOK" -  married - aged 74 years."

Only glanced at passenger lists and couldn't find her returning to NZ - but she was on her way back to Sydney from Wellington in 1924.

Per "Maheno" - Wellington to Sydney - 23 May 1924

Mrs A.P. FULLBROOK

-----

Just adding this info here as it may be of use in trying to establish if she was in the company James STEPHENSON / STEVENSON at any particular time.   

~  Lu

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 01 February 18 01:37 GMT (UK) »
So what I am thinking is ....

• The divorce file might have further information about James
  • The custody file (if this exists as a researchable item) may contain some information about Margaret/Daisy and or James with regard to maintenance or living arrangements.
  • If James was ordered to pay child support and didn't, only then might he be in the Police Gazettes
  • Wises directories and electoral rolls may be able to be used as tracking tool for James if he moved with Agnes.
  • Margaret's marriage certificate might list the age of her father, if she married and he was named, giving a starting birth date for James.
  • Margaret's death certificate might list particulars about her father.

Any other ideas, folks? 

Seany, have you tried any of these so far?

Offline Seany

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 01 February 18 02:02 GMT (UK) »
TwiggyTree, Lucy2.
I can't thank you enough for looking into all of this! I hope I can add some more context to what I've found. Though I see you're solving the puzzle faster than I can.

I should have mentioned Margaret's other middle name. Moore. This was also her mother's maiden name.
Agnes Moore Married William Wood Fullbrook.

The article about James being a waiter must have come from those sources mentioned earler. Much of this work was done by my Uncle, who was in contact with another relative of Agnes.
When the newspapers said that she 'got in trouble with Stevenson, I assumed their relationship all together collapsed and they may not have kept in contact. Which would be a shame to have a whole in my Family tree where I can't fill in his parents and hit a fall. Who where these Stevensons!

Agnes has been more giving in terms of her history. Which is great having so much public record on her. I went into the history of her husband William Fullbrook only to later realize that the daughter, Margaret 'Daisy' wasn't his. Margaret being my Great Grandmother.

So now I'm left with this vestigial history of that line.

Lucy2, you are thorough with your hunting.
Daisy was Margaret's nick name. She does appear to have an Illegitimate daughter named Jean Duffrin Fullbrook when she was 18. I'll ask Jean's daughters what else they know, but I doubt much. Jean lived with Margaret and her step-father Joseph Henry Sydney. Though I don't believe Margaret ever married him. He himself was already married to a woman in Victoria, who was filing for divorce. Margaret had a child named James Fullbrook in Sydney 1915, died after 2 days, with no father given. But I believe this to be Joseph's child, as all her next children where his. Their 1916 Child was named George S Fullbrook, but was known as George Sydney later in life.

I see you also found Agnes in Chippendale, 1913. I think I found how she arrived. There was a boat called the Moeraki. Wellington to Sydney 7 June 1912.
The manifest has 3 Fullbrooks with no first names given. But they were listed as 1 Married woman, 1 Single woman, and 1 Child.
I think this must mean Agnes Fullbrook. Margaret Fullbrook and her daughter Jean.
I didn't know about the Maheno ship later on? I had a Great Uncle take that same ship to Sydney only a few years later. Different side of the family though. Small world.

I'm going to need to chase up those Divorce papers. They may be my best clue besides trying to find James living near Agnes. She did travel around a lot.

Margaret died in 1976 and the public record shows only her mother Agnes. She also didn't technically marry Joseph. At least I can't find a record of it? I like the idea of custody files and Gazettes. They may be my next chance.