Author Topic: decayed fragment of a 1601 baptism - in Latin COMPLETED  (Read 468 times)

Offline grantleydawn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My collateral ancestors
    • View Profile
decayed fragment of a 1601 baptism - in Latin COMPLETED
« on: Wednesday 31 January 18 08:47 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to transcribe & interpret this baptism entry.

It logically is the baptism of Trysteram (or Tristeram), who appeared as under the age of 15 in his father, Peter TREWBODY’s Will dated 8th Feb 1605/1606.

It appears to be something like ;
T(rysteram) filius Petri TRUBODYE gen(er)osi Baptiz(atu)s fuit (xxx..) die . . . . ano d(omi)ni et Elizabeth etc p(re)d(i)c(t)a

The top entry appears to be dated 13th January in the 43rd year of the Reign of Elizabeth I. I guess the year would therefore be 1601/1602.

Can anyone help me, please?

Regards
Grantley

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: decayed fragment of a 1601 baptism - in Latin
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 11:31 GMT (UK) »
The year at the very top (the end of the entry above your red underlining) is xliiijo (= 44 = 1601/02), and I think it's probably the same where you have underlined it in red – the dot for the first i is obscured by the loop of the l. Do any earlier or later entries help with the year?

In the entry immediately above yours, the visible part of the date is ... die mensis m(ar)cij (... day of the month of March).

In your entry, the same ending ...(ar)cij, showing the suspension, is clear. There seems to be surplus space between Die and the month, so I’m not sure what happens there. The letter after Die could be p, so perhaps it is ...

(xx...) Die p(redicti) me(n)s(is) (m)(ar)cij an(n)o D(omi)ni et Elizabethe &c p(re)d(i)c(ti)s
on the (?) day of the aforesaid month of March in the aforesaid year of the Lord and of Elizabeth etc.

Does the following entry (not showing here) have a legible month?

On the evidence as presented, I think it's March 1601/02. Whether or not it's Tristram I will leave to your judgment. 

Offline grantleydawn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My collateral ancestors
    • View Profile
Re: decayed fragment of a 1601 baptism - in Latin
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much.

Yes, the year should be xliiij and my mind didn’t recognise the die mensis m(ar)cij in the previous entry.

I assume the day would logically be 19 as the following entries record (in Latin) the change of year, followed by a m(ar)cij entry.

All smiles.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards
Grantley