Author Topic: Owen Owen/Evans (1798-1851)  (Read 874 times)

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Owen Owen/Evans (1798-1851)
« on: Wednesday 31 January 18 14:15 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find the baptism record for one of my GG Grandfathers Owen Owen/Evans (1798-1851) but the possible solutions I have found do not seem to follow the expected Welsh tradition of retaining family names i.e. first son named after paternal grandfather, second son named after maternal grandfather, etc.
At his wedding to Elizabeth Hughes in Caerhun in 1824 Owen’s second name was Owen, by the time of the baptism of his third child, Mary, in 1828 it had changed to Evans. This was a common occurrence at the time. I had assumed from this that the first name was patronymic i.e. his father’s first name was Owen, and then Owen had later taken his father’s second name Evan as a surname. For years I have had to leave it at this point since I could not find a match since the only clue I had to Owen’s birthplace was from the 1841 Census and that only indicated that it was Caernarvonshire. Since then I have found the scan of the register for Mary’s baptism at Roe Calvanistic Methodist Chapel in Caerhun, this gives Owen’s birth parish as Gyffin.
There are two boys named Owen baptised in Gyffin around 1798:
Owen son of David Owen Labourer and his wife Elizabeth
Owen son of Thomas Evans Farmer and his wife Anne
My problem is that none of those first names appear in the list of Owen and Elizabeth’s children who are:
Evan, Grace, Mary, William, Jane, William, Robert and Hugh
Elizabeth’s parents were Hugh Thomas and Grace Williams also Grace’s parents were William Roberts and Jane Evans. This would indicate that Owen and Elizabeth were following the tradition of naming their children after their parents and grandparents. Who were Evan, Mary and Robert named after?
I would be grateful for any thoughts on the matter.

Glyn
Jones - Penmachno/Blaenau Ffestiniog/Capel Garmon
Thomas - Abererch/Porthmadog
Evans - Llangelynin/Llanaelhaern
Jones - Pwllheli/Abererch
Brammer - Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire
Robb - London/Scotland

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Owen Owen/Evans (1798-1851)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried following through using Gyffin registers to see if there are likely deaths or marriages for the two baptisms you are looking at  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Owen Owen/Evans (1798-1851)
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 February 18 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Rosie there is an Owen Evans who married in Gyffin in 1825, also an Owen Owens from Gyffin who married in Caerhun in 1836. Of course there is no guarantee that they are the same Owens who were baptised in 1798/9.
I am now wondering if Owen was illegitimate. Previously I have come across a couple of ancestors who were illegitimate. In each case, to disguise the fact, both took their maternal grandfather's second names at their marriages and one gave an adjacent parish to the one he was actually baptised in.

Glyn 
Jones - Penmachno/Blaenau Ffestiniog/Capel Garmon
Thomas - Abererch/Porthmadog
Evans - Llangelynin/Llanaelhaern
Jones - Pwllheli/Abererch
Brammer - Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire
Robb - London/Scotland